maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

On 25/11/2020 at 06:13, Thatcher said:

i_o (aka Garrett Lockhart), DJ and EDM producer/artist, has died aged 30. His remix of the club classic Castles in the Sky only came out a few days ago. 

Obituaries: Daily MirrorDaily ExpressMetro.

Castles in the Sky was voted no.8 trance track of the year, and there was a touching tribute to him on the State of Trance annual top 50 countdown.

On 31/12/2020 at 03:40, Youth in Asia said:

Castles in the Sky was voted no.8 trance track of the year, and there was a touching tribute to him on the State of Trance annual top 50 countdown.

Out of a sense of duty and fair play, I gave this a listen and I'd say the state of trance is probably very similar to that of 2010, 2000, 1990 and 1066. Speaking as a former Camden Market record shop grunt, there is nothing guaranteed to make your heart plummet further than a French tourist in a jester's hat approaching the counter with trance CD in hand enquiring "I leesen?". No, you cunt, you cannot leesen.

<puts on Metal Machine Music>

• Like 1

Well, even the King of Trance himself, Armin van buuren, has been known to say it's "a little formulaic". But when music is made by various copy/pasting operations in FL or Ableton software and adding an effects-drenched vocal track what do you expect? I still find it relaxing to listen to (especially on long flights - remember them?)

3 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Mick Bolton, keyboardist for Mott the Hoople, has died. He was 72.

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/music/mott-the-hoople-keyboardist-mick-bolton-dead-at-72

That's a tad generous - he was just a touring musician with them for a few months. Bolton was to Mott what John Peel was to The Faces,.

rod stewart the faces - maggie may 1971 - YouTube

• Like 1

It would be remiss of me if Gerry Marsden is indeed a hit for me not to post the 1985 Charity #1 by The Crowd. If I get another hit from that single (I think I have three others on my TOTP team), I'll not bother posting again.

The casual observer could be forgiven for thinking that Gerry Marsden only had one song in his repertoire. Here's the first of Gerry & The Pacemakers three consecutive number ones

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, time said:

The casual observer could be forgiven for thinking that Gerry Marsden only had one song in his repertoire. Here's the first of Gerry & The Pacemakers three consecutive number ones

I like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

That's a tad generous - he was just a touring musician with them for a few months. Bolton was to Mott what John Peel was to The Faces

On the other hand those few months were during the band's creative and commercial peak. It's a bit better than a touring musician who joins X number of surviving original members 30 years later.

5 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

On the other hand those few months were during the band's creative and commercial peak. It's a bit better than a touring musician who joins X number of surviving original members 30 years later.

I suppose so, but on the third hand he didn't play a single note on record - 'joined' after Mott (certainly the creative peak) and left before The Hoople.

It's a Mott moot point, all in all.

20 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Mick Bolton, keyboardist for Mott the Hoople, has died. He was 72.

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/music/mott-the-hoople-keyboardist-mick-bolton-dead-at-72

Agree with the post above 

Morgan Fisher was the only keyboardist who really mattered in that band - and on the odd occasion they haul themselves back from oblivion (like Ramblin' Man a few years back) it's Fisher who gets the gig

6 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Agree with the post above 

Morgan Fisher was the only keyboardist who really mattered in that band - and on the odd occasion they haul themselves back from oblivion (like Ramblin' Man a few years back) it's Fisher who gets the gig

At the risk of turning this into a boring Steve Hoffman-forumesque discussion, Verden Allen mattered too - an organ is a keyboard instrument, no? :P

12 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

At the risk of turning this into a boring Steve Hoffman-forumesque discussion, Verden Allen mattered too - an organ is a keyboard instrument, no? :P

Aye

But Morgan gargled champagne on stage - when I saw Mott a couple of years back he had a butler come on stage and pour him champagne during the gig. 

A wonderful moment

43 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Al B Sure!, new jack swing singer who knocked around the lower reaches of the UK charts in the late 1980s, seems to be in a bad way: https://eurweb.com/2021/01/04/al-b-sure-shares-health-update-after-being-told-he-had-months-to-live-video/

Oh, I remember the name. A slightly bigger name in America, for maybe 1-2 years, so definitely obitable. Although it seems he took some necessary steps to stay alive.

Edit: He was also on David Bowie's in-between Black Tie, White Noise album. Ah, so that is definitely how I know the name.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2021 at 06:51, gcreptile said:

Oh, I remember the name. A slightly bigger name in America, for maybe 1-2 years, so definitely obitable. Although it seems he took some necessary steps to stay alive.

Edit: He was also on David Bowie's in-between Black Tie, White Noise album. Ah, so that is definitely how I know the name.

I definitely remember his name, a bit of a crossover artist in the Colonel Abrams vein, but I listened to a few tunes on YouTube and I’ll be damned if I can say for certain I ever heard any of the songs I chose.  
SC 

Peter Rowe, a former member of Cornish singing group Fisherman's Friends (wiki), died Tuesday 5th aged 88.

Judging by a quick Google they have quite a following. As for me, never bloody heard of them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Peter Rowe, a former member of Cornish singing group Fisherman's Friends (wiki), died Tuesday 5th aged 88.

Judging by a quick Google they have quite a following. As for me, never bloody heard of them.

You beat me to it. They had 3 top 30 albums and were immortalised in a film of the same name, starring Daniel Mays & James Purefoy.

eta Rowe was a founding member, not merely a former member.

Katz Seki (Discogs), one half of the grind/noisecore duo Gorgonized Dorks, has died.

AC05BA84-B46B-41E9-B73D-26C9A0270D7E.jpeg

• Like 1

Michael Fonfara, a keyboard player who played with everyone from The Electric Flag, Lou Reed, the Downchild Blues Band, The Everly Brothers and Rough Trade, among others, has died. He was 74.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/renowned-canadian-keyboardist-michael-fonfara-dies-in-toronto-after-battling-cancer-1.5260836

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Mark Keds of the Senseless Things dead. Doesn't give a reason but he was a massive smackhead back in the day and for a long time afterwards.

I spent a NYE out clubbing with him once. No heroin was consumed, but some other stuff was. All in all, a somewhat weird night.

• Like 1

Not an act I covered in the UK Singles Chart thread owing to the fact that they merely backed Adam Faith and were pretty trivial but Peter Thorpe of The Roulettes died at the start of January according to this FB post:

8806112D-AC5E-40FB-B026-5CDE0E4CCF59.jpeg

• Like 2

On 27/04/2019 at 22:56, Phantom said:

Sylvain Sylvain from New York Dolls is receiving treatment for cancer. There is a GoFundMe page which offers very little information as to where on his body, or even how minor or severe it is.

They are reporting the death of Sylvain Sylvain on Twitterchatter: 

• Sad 1

Ah, just a little bit too early for my DDP team last year. Ah well. 
From what I can gather he seemed like a genuinely cool and great dude, and enjoyed the music from the New York Dolls as well. So this definitely stings a little bit. RIP to him.