maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Ah, just a little bit too early for my DDP team last year. Ah well. 
From what I can gather he seemed like a genuinely cool and great dude, and enjoyed the music from the New York Dolls as well. So this definitely stings a little bit. RIP to him. 

Either you just got off to an extremely hot start in the DSCDP funeral home or you're playing with only 19 picks this year, depending on the time zone in which he died.

51 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Either you just got off to an extremely hot start in the DSCDP funeral home or you're playing with only 19 picks this year, depending on the time zone in which he died.

Died on the 13th from what I can gather, so definitely dead zone, probably one man down too.

Yahoo UK first up with a QO, though I’m sure he’ll get a lot more from the UK

What kind of cancer was he even suffering from?

Well, we never got a clear idea of what type cancer he had. However, the reason I kept picking him in pools despite not knowing what his cancer was is basically that something felt really off for me with him.

In 2019 there was a benefit concert for him, and that was the first I really considered him for pools. Indeed, I thought if he had really recovered they probably would’ve announced it on his gofundme, but that never happened. And that strong intuition just kept coming back to me, even keeping him up to my final 50 for the DDP despite being a risky pick on paper. 
I feel like I need to trust my intuition more when it comes up strongly. Obviously I was a year early in picking him in the DDP, and was really hoping that intuition was wrong. Sadly it was not meant to be. 

That just leaves old Poindexter of the original/classic line-up, always the likeliest outcome. Poor old Sylvain; we even have a niche thread perfect for him and he still doesn’t make it. But pop star is fair enough, even if he was a failed one. 

Mock rock, anyone?

James Purify, one half of the duo James and Bobby Purify, who had a number of chart hits in the mid-to-late 1960s, including the U.S. #6 song 'I'm Your Puppet', has died. He was 76. The cause of death was COVID-19.

https://weartv.com/news/local/rb-im-your-puppet-legend-passes-away-to-covid-19-complications-in-pensacola

Tom Stevens, bassist with the Long Ryders has died. No cause given other than "suddenly".

Very sad news - the Long Ryders were a fantastic band, and one I've never quite managed to see live (in around 2002ish I was working not 500 yards from Leeds Irish Centre but couldn't sneak out to see them without being noticed, and their more recent London dates were stupidly priced so had to give 'em a swerve). 

• Like 1

SOPHIE, Scottish singer, songwriter and producer, has died aged 34. She produced for Charlie XCX, Madonna and Kim Petras, amongst others, and her own album Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-insides gained a Grammy nomination in 2019.

Obituaries: The IndependentThe GuardianMetroDaily MirrorDaily StarThe SunBBC

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 4

24 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

SOPHIE, Scottish singer, songwriter and producer, has reportedly died aged 34. She produced for Charlie XCX, Madonna and Kim Petras, amongst others, and her own album Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-insides gained a Grammy nomination in 2019.

The tweet is not available.

16 minutes ago, drol said:

The tweet is not available.

Thanks - amended with link to a news article instead.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thatcher said:

SOPHIE, Scottish singer, songwriter and producer, has died aged 34. She produced for Charlie XCX, Madonna and Kim Petras, amongst others, and her own album Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-insides gained a Grammy nomination in 2019.

Obituaries: The IndependentThe GuardianMetroDaily MirrorDaily StarThe Sun

Died abroad in Athens. She suffered a fall and required a blood transfusion according to friends on social media, but died several hours later.

The Guardian are saying she had "climbed up" somewhere at 4am to watch the full moon and then slipped.

Sounds like a drunken idea that's gone horribly wrong.

• Sad 1

Shocked. Very regrettable and unnecessary. I liked her quite a bit. You can see that I posted a song of hers in the "What are you listening to" thread. 

5 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Died abroad in Athens. She suffered a fall and required a blood transfusion according to friends on social media, but died several hours later.

The Guardian are saying she had "climbed up" somewhere at 4am to watch the full moon and then slipped.

Sounds like a drunken idea that's gone horribly wrong.

Boys will be boys :ph34r:

• Haha 2

For lack of a better place to put it, recent interview with music journo Nick Kent reveals Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols is now in a bad way healthwise with "terrible heart issues".

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, mollyafox said:

That leaves Diana Ross as the only original member of The Supremes still alive. Do we have a thread for extinct band lineups?