maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Played on their only UK Chart hit Carry On Wayward Son, which reached #51 in July 1978.

Yes, I was tempted to cross-post in the Carry On thread.

• Haha 4

On 19/07/2021 at 16:32, YoungWillz said:

Played on their only UK Chart hit Carry On Wayward Son, which reached #51 in July 1978.

He is better remembered for the violin solo and backing vocals on "Dust in the wind".

20 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

He is better remembered for the violin solo and backing vocals on "Dust in the wind".

I'd argue that in the UK he's hardly known for anything.

Carry On Wayward Son has become a bit of a cult classic in the UK due to being included in most if not all of the sing-a-long/karaoke type video games. However, ask a member of the general public here for a list of Kansas UK hits, that's it, even if they do know who Kansas were in the first place.

However, he's truly dust in the wind...

And how could we forget.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/07/2021 at 10:32, YoungWillz said:

Played on their only UK Chart hit Carry On (MY (sic)) Wayward Son, which reached #51 in July 1978.

What a sad statement about what's considered a 'hit' in the UK, at least in the late 1970s.

Didn't know where to put it, Peter Rehberg, the glitch / IDM musician and record-label head who was a globally respected figure in underground music, has died aged 53 of a heart attack.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

What a sad statement about what's considered a 'hit' in the UK, at least in the late 1970s.

The Singles Chart isn’t the best measure of how popular a band is in the UK. 

Led Zeppelin never had any charting singles in their hey day but they’re ofc huge in the UK.

• Like 2

Well what constitutes a 'hit' is largely a matter of opinion I suppose. COWS was played a lot in the summer of '78 though, I'm surprised it didn't go higher. Young Willz could have said 'their only UK chart entry.'

A couple of months earlier it wouldn't even have been that because the official chart was increased from 50 to 75 then. 

Wait, so Sir Creep goes post-whoring, attempting to stir up the usual shite, and you buy into it? You do know he's not interested in your responses to anything, don't you, far less involving himself in a reasoned discussion?

Anyhow:

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The Singles Chart isn’t the best measure of how popular a band is in the UK. 

Led Zeppelin never had any charting singles in their hey day but they’re ofc huge in the UK.

This is true and untrue in equal measure. The Singles Chart imo (because it's only my opinion and not a generalised bald statement as above) is a measure of the popularity of a song...although I'd hazard a guess that several songs that made the charts only did so because the band's following was huge. You had to sell a tonne of volume back in the day to make the charts. (Which is why bands started selling volume by live versions, EPs, 12 inchers and remixes, I believe)

Although now popularity can generally be assigned to touring and how many you attract imo, back in the day popularity could probably be more assigned to how many albums you sold. Lots of bands, particularly rock bands, didn't need the volume in singles because their albums sold hugely and the kind of person imo who bought those albums weren't the type to own every version of every release the band made.

So look at Led Zeppelin's album charting in the UK, and it was huge.

So let's look at Kansas' album performance in the UK? Zero. None. That's not to say they have gained a UK following since, just singles or albums sales indicate whether you are likely to be remembered by a significant proportion of the public. That's my point, and you are perfectly at liberty to disagree.

Led Zeppelin never released an official single in the group's lifetime, and never appeared on British TV. I think it was Peter Grant's idea that the only way to experience them was by going to see them live or buying their albums.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Led Zeppelin never released an official single in the group's lifetime, and never appeared on British TV. I think it was Peter Grant's idea that the only way to experience them was by going to see them live or buying their albums.

< ticks both boxes >

Former Derek Trucks Band percussionist Count M’Butu has died. The death of the musician born Harold L. Jones was confirmed on Sunday afternoon by the Tedeschi Trucks Band.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/harold-l-jones-count-mbutu-obituary/?fbclid=IwAR3uVgt-2DfTdYkDxSym7hzK0gXLeAxAfOqxOUKRVEtpp4IhJQNjAfvu7X8

• Like 1

On 20/06/2020 at 00:43, Death Impends said:

So, as mentioned occasionally before, Ulitzer's UK charts project sparked me to explore the 50s and beyond of the US Billboard charts and now I've listened to nearly everything that marked the Billboard charts between 1955 and 1959. Maybe a dozen songs were not on YouTube. While I won't be doing anything nearly as comprehensive as Ulitzer's project I thought I'd compile a list of living performers from the era. Not every last living name is here; ie there are some groups with multiple living members that I only list the frontman for. If they charted as part of a band, the band is included in parentheses regardless of whether or not the artist would become better known under a different band name (the living Four Seasons and Simon & Garfunkel are prime examples).

1927 - Dick Hyman, Ed Ames (The Ames Brothers), Harry Belafonte, Teddie Chinery (The Beverley Sisters), Sunny Gale, Mindy Carson, Carol Buschmann (The Chordettes)

Interview with Teddie Chinery for The Times (Paywalled): https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-beverley-sisterss-last-surviving-member-teddie-on-1950s-megastardom-dwzd2wzxr

However, there is a photo, and she looks good.

Edit: The Times used Beverley Sisters's? Really? Surely it should be Sisters'.

• Like 1

Willie Winfield, founding member of The Harptones has passed away at the age of 91.

• Like 1

Pop star? Can someone cross post this in some more appropriate topic?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, The Unknown Man said:

Qualifying obit from the BBC.

Unique pick on the DDP for Dead Beats' team - respect to them, then

FTR Dusty Hill was the most famous talentless bass player around. Now he isn’t.  Trying to pick a new useless thumping 4-note bass player.  Adam Clayton, probably.

SirC

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

FTR Dusty Hill was the most famous talentless bass player around. Now he isn’t.  Trying to pick a new useless thumping 4-note bass player.  Adam Clayton, probably.

SirC

He will be quite convincingly Dusty though. 

• Like 1

Al Rappa dead at 94

Bassist for Bill Haley & his Comets between 1959 to 1969 (note: seldom on recordings and not on any of their hits – he was usually used for live gigs).

Later rejoined various reincarnations of the group in the following decades.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Al Rappa dead at 94

Bassist for Bill Haley & his Comets between 1959 to 1969 (note: seldom on recordings and not on any of their hits – he was usually used for live gigs).

Later rejoined various reincarnations of the group in the following decades.

Big one!

No.

1 hour ago, ObakeFilter said:

Dennis “D.T.” Thomas, a co-founder of soul-funk outfit Kool & the Gang, died on Saturday, his reps confirmed to Variety. He was 70.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/dennis-dee-tee-thomas-dead-dies-kool-and-the-gang-cofounder-1235036900/

Another swing and a miss for my theme team of 1985: