maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

On 27/08/2021 at 15:55, YoungWillz said:

Daily Star gets a round of applause from me for a Bob Fish obit: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/breaking-bob-fish-dead-darts-24854460

Anyone going to cover Fritz McIntyre? Charlie Watts' death seems to have destroyed that.

At bloody last, Fritz McIntyre gets a Times Obit: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fritz-mcintyre-obituary-ndvj6fglx

Well done The Times.

• Like 1

Kids are too young around here I guess.  The death of Richard Kirk should have had a dozen posts voicing laments.  Thank god I was around to understand his genius and Canaret Voltaire’s place in music influence and history.  RIP

Sensoria was one of the primary songs I patterned some of my keyboard-driven songwriting after, and it has never stopped rattling around inside my wee cranium since Micro-Phonies was released (the album cover features prominently in Ferris’s bedroom wall in Ferris Bueler’s Day Off).

SirC

On 20/09/2021 at 16:52, alt obits guy said:

Sarah Dash, a member of the 70s trio Labelle, has died. She was 76.

https://www.soultracks.com/story-sarah-dash-dies

“Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?  Pour toujours.” asked the Reaper. 

• Like 3

FB post announcing the death of Peter Hood aged 78, drummer for the Australian surf rock band The Atlantics (wiki):

"Peter Hood
26th June 1943 – 22nd September 2021
It is with a saddened heart that we announce the passing of our dear friend and Atlantics’ Drummer, Peter Hood.
Peter passed away at 11.10am this morning, Wednesday 22nd of September 2021 at Robina on the Gold Coast. Peter, who had been gravely ill for a quite some time and was under professional care, lost his battle with illness and died peacefully with Carol, his wife of over 50 years by his side.
He was also closely attended by family members, and long-time friend and fellow band member, Jim Skiathitis.
Peter will be cremated and a memorial service to celebrate his life will be held at the Gold Coast at a date to be announced/advised.
The Atlantics
Jim Skiathitis, Theo Penglis, Martin Cilia & Bosco Bosanac"
  • Like 1

Bassist, Bob Moore, has died at the age of 88.

Bob played with a variety of variety of top nanes such as Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Patti Page to name just a few.

Probably most notable for most people is his base intro for Roger Miller's "King of the Road" 

242490117_10158148928081746_6169131544323895504_n.jpg

• Like 2

On 07/07/2016 at 19:46, gcreptile said:

Paul Di'Anno, former frontman of Iron Maiden, does NOT battle cancer for a third time, but he's had an infected abcess around/on/in (?) his lungs:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-dianno-cancer/

He's responding to treatment. He's also in a wheelchair because of double knee-replacement surgery.

Paul Di'Anno massive swelling in his legs in a new picture:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-iron-maiden-singer-paul-dianno-is-still-waiting-for-his-knee-surgery-the-situation-is-only-getting-worse/

A physician in the comments of the original facebook post speculates that Di'Anno has advanced untreated diabetes and hypertension. 

• Shocked 2

Heaven 17's Martyn Ware revealed for the first time on his Electronically Yours podcast that Ian Craig Marsh had issues with mental health over time, then literally disappeared from the band never to be heard of again in the late 90s.

The comment centered around the failed 1988 album Teddy Bear, Duke & Psycho, & the nicknames given to the band by Terence Trent D'Arby when the produced his Introducing the Hardline According To... album a couple of years before.  Psycho was Marsh.  Ware made an apology for the misguided nickname.

Rumours were Marsh went into teaching on the south coast, but have never been substantiated.

Heaven 17 recently played the first 2 Human League pre-Dare albums Reproduction & Travelogue in full recently during 1 off shows in Sheffield & London, with Marsh, Oakey & Wright being thanked heavily for what they produced.  Hope was Marsh might re-surface, but it wasn't to be,

• Like 2

November 1968 #2 Eloise

Also a major visitor to the UK charts with his twin Paul (died November 1992), several solo hits followed.

• Like 3

Olivier Libaux, record producer, songwriter and founding member of French band/musical project Nouvelle Vague, has died at age 57.

I really like their covered songs from the punk and new-wave eras but arranged in bossa nova style.

https://www.liberation.fr/culture/musique/mort-dolivier-libaux-musicien-pop-et-producteur-branche-sur-la-reprise-20210929_IM52KBGGJFDCVPTVF6WQ6FUTQ4/

• Like 1

On 29/09/2021 at 09:44, YoungWillz said:

Barry Ryan, pop star who hit #2 in the UK with Eloise, reported dead by Cat Stevens

I didn’t think Cat Stevens was capable of such a thing!

8 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I didn’t think Cat Stevens was capable of such a thing!

Do your jokes register as funny in your head before you type them? 

6E3BA29C-8B80-42BF-84A9-78B4402D2C31.gif

On 18/06/2021 at 19:31, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

According to Tiny Global Productions, who've released his latter-day solo stuff, former Glitter Band member John Rossall is terminally ill. He's still got some live shows planned though.

John Rossall is reportedly dead: https://twitter.com/Hook_Official5/status/1445385901002067978 and https://louderthanwar.com/john-rossall-the-glitter-band-rip/

Session muso on It's Not Unusual and The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore.

Co-wrote Angel Face, Let's Get Together Again and Goodbye My Love.

One for the UK Singles Thread update.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Glitter Band with John Rossall - Angel Face (UK #4, April 1974)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Co-wrote Angel Face, Let's Get Together Again and Goodbye My Love.

All three used the Glitter/Leander template perfectly and I'd rather have that trio than How Do You Do It?, I Like It and You'll Never Walk Alone

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

All three used the Glitter/Leander template perfectly and I'd rather have that trio than How Do You Do It?, I Like It and You'll Never Walk Alone

Ocht, Rodgers and Hammerstein Estates are on the phone. :lol:

No relation to Sheila 'allergic to the Planet' Rossall?

1 hour ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

The Glitter sound really needed the man himself to attain its full fascist glory, but the Band's hits were pretty good in themselves.

Well...

The sound was the vision of Mike Leander, it needed A man out front, there was no shortage of jobbing singers looking for a break. It could have been any one of several - most of whom weren't nonces on the side

• Like 1