maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

OK he is not remotely dead or ill but I have just seen a clip on Twitter of former Undertones front man Fergal Sharkey being interviews on Telly because he now campaigns on clean rivers

It took me two glances to work out it was him. He looked like a cross between Ray Reardon and a spoof Landowner in a Harry Enfield sketch he was even wearing a three piece tweed suit.

It is a long way from anoraks and Teenage Kicks

A good hearse these days is hard to find.

• Haha 3

I found this interesting, even if nobody else does. 

John Ryder (born John Holland) has reportedly died: https://www.thestar.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/retro/sheffield-singer-who-had-chart-success-with-his-wife-dies-aged-82-3436077

A member of local Sheffield band The Whirlwinds whose alumni included Dave Hawley and later the comic Bobby Knutt (both dead), he teamed up with his wife Anne and had a hit in Canada in 1969 with I Still Believe In Tomorrow. On the album of the same name was included Seasons In The Sun (not a hit until Terry Jacks 5 years later and covers of Let It Be Me and Ev'rybody's Talkin'.

Interesting biography here: https://vancouversignaturesounds.com/hits/i-still-believe-in-tomorrow-by-john-and-anne-ryder/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

OK he is not remotely dead or ill but I have just seen a clip on Twitter of former Undertones front man Fergal Sharkey being interviews on Telly because he now campaigns on clean rivers

It took me two glances to work out it was him. He looked like a cross between Ray Reardon and a spoof Landowner in a Harry Enfield sketch he was even wearing a three piece tweed suit.

Back in the 80s I knew an Australian girl who'd been a journalist for their version of Smash Hits. She'd interviewed Feargal Sharkey, and before being introduced to him was told not to ask any questions about the Undertones or his recent divorce.

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I was going to post last week about how rough he sounded when interviewed on R4, so interesting to read that he looks as bad as he sounds. 

• Haha 1

Terence Wilson (Astro) of UB40 has died:

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

37 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Shocking after Brian Travers going as well.

Needless to say another miss for my Theme Team. (Gah).

• Like 1

If there is a god, he’s very cruel in the order he taketh.

The Corbynista Campbell cranks live on.

13 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Permanently unemployed then? 

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

Some good news for the Tories then.:lol:

2 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

No. Just a one in ten. 

40 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Andy Barker, who joined electronica acid house musos 808 State in 1989, reportedly dead, aged 53: https://louderthanwar.com/andy-barker-808-state-rip/

The Only Rhyme That Bites (UK #10; July 1990)

@Ulitzer95 I gave an IMDB link to Andy Barker, seems he has one more:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6079781/

One under Andy, one under Andrew. I never played Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, didn't know Pacific was on that soundtrack!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Andy Barker, who joined electronica acid house musos 808 State in 1989, reportedly dead, aged 53: https://louderthanwar.com/andy-barker-808-state-rip/

The Only Rhyme That Bites (UK #10; July 1990)

Apparently a plugger went into a record shop near me saying ‘have you heard the new one from Bob State?’.  

Could be an urban myth that happening in every town, but funny all the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Declan Mulligan (wiki), guitarist for 60s rock band The Beau Brummels dead at 83.

Huge group in the States. Never charted in the U.K. yet still seem to have some name recognition here.

The original line-up:
Sal Valentino (b. 1942) lead vocals
Ron Elliott (b. 1943) lead guitar
Ron Meagher (b. 1941) bass

Declan Mulligan (1938–2021) rhythm guitar
John Petersen (1942–2007) drums

• Like 2

From 2018:

On 24/08/2018 at 16:40, Spade_Cooley said:

Craig Mack, Lovebug Starski and now Robin Leach: that's three people namechecked in the lyrics of "Ready to Die" gone so far this year. Anyone know what Christopher Williams is up to?

Now, I'm not in the business of knowing who the Christopher Williams above is, but RnB Stateside songster Christopher Williams was reported ill and in a coma last week. The coma aspect has been denied by his twin brother, but he is hospitalised: https://www.soultracks.com/story-christopher-williams-hospitalized

On 17/02/2019 at 17:13, msc said:

It's been a while since there was a stupidly long list of aging folk. So here is an extended version of that music one, up to 1958, as musicians keep dying in their 60s of late. All genres, put here after Admin Advice. Every single name will QO as and when, and I expect a good... 50% at least to be deadpool fodder within the next 5 years or so.

*snip*

-          1932: Petula Clark, John Williams, John Kinsella, Loretta Lynn, Ernest Ranglin, Lalo Schifrin, Per Norgard, Bob Moore, Little Richard

*snip*

Irish composer John Kinsella (wikidead at 89.

• Like 1

Keith Allison, a member of Paul Revere And The Raiders from the late 1960s to mid-1970s, songwriter and actor, being reported dead: 

Maybe someone can access the Facebook post for confirmation?

Wrote the song Freeborn Man and co-wrote Auntie's Municipal Court with Mike Nesmith for The Monkees. https://secondhandsongs.com/artist/39427/originals#nav-entity

Appeared in the finale of the rather lacklustre 1978 film Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, spot the stars and the survivors here

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Maybe someone can access the Facebook post for confirmation?

Yeah it's their official verified page. 

Full post cut and pasted:

"Keith Allison
August 26, 1942 - November 17, 2021
It is with deep sadness we announce the untimely passing of Keith Allison on the evening of November 17, 2021, at home in Sherman Oaks, California.
Born Sydney Keith Allison on August 26, 1942, in Coleman, Texas, and raised in San Antonio. Keith Allison was a multi-talented songwriter, musician, singer and actor with a long list of credits. Keith knew everyone, and everyone loved Keith.
Keith Allison recorded and performed with some of the biggest names and acts such as Roy Orbison, Ringo Starr, Sonny & Cher, The Beach Boys, The Righteous Brothers, Chuck Berry, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Monkees, Boyce & Hart, Harry Nilsson, Alice Cooper, Rick Nelson, The Crickets and Johnny Rivers just to name a few. He also appeared in many movies and TV shows as an actor and musician.
Keith Allison has been entertaining since the late 50’s where he was in local bands and club performances with Clarence (Gatemouth) Brown, Doug Sahm, Augie Meyer performing in the Keith Allison Combo. Moving into the 60’s Keith was Musical Director and Guitarist for Ray Peterson from 1962-1965. In 1964-65 Keith was a member of The Crickets along with his cousin drummer Jerry Allison.
Keith’s success took off when he arrived in Los Angeles in the mid-sixties. It was at a taping for Dick Clark’s “Where The Action Is” at the Whisky A-Go-Go that really put Keith on the map, when the camera panned catching him in the shot, and the audience swore Paul McCartney was at the taping. The phone rang off the hook at Dick Clark Productions, “if not McCartney, then who was that?”. Keith was invited back to be a part of “Action” becoming a permanent cast member along with friends Paul Revere & The Raiders.
Keith contributed to a lot of memorable music including The Monkee’s self-title debut, ‘Headquarters’, ‘Head’ and co-writing “Aunties Municipal Court” with fellow Texan Michael Nesmith on ‘The Birds, The Bees, and The Monkees’. Keith played Guitar and Harmonica on Sonny & Cher’s “The Beat Goes On”. In 1967 Columbia Records signed and released the album Keith Allison ‘In Action’.
Most notable, Keith was a member of Paul Revere & The Raiders from 1968 to 1975 on bass, guitar, organ, vocals and writing credits. Keith co-wrote with Mark Lindsay “Freeborn Man”, considered one of the top bluegrass songs of all time, recorded and performed live by scores of artists.
In 1971 Keith scored the film “Where Does It Hurt?” starring Peter Sellers, as well as wrote and sung the title song. In 1974 and 1975 Keith toured with Johnny Rivers on bass and guitar. In 1976, recorded “Sail Away” with Harry Nilsson and played on Nilsson album produced by Steve Cropper.
From 1975 to 1977 Keith was on guitar and band leader for ‘Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart’ and on Capitol Records album and live album “Live In Tokyo” while touring with them in Asia in 1976.
In 1977 Keith played Guitar on Ringo Starr’s “Bad Boy” followed by 1978 as musical director for Ringo Starr’s TV special “Ringo”. In 1980, Keith wrote and recorded four songs for the film “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia” starring friend Dennis Quaid.
In the 90’s Keith went on to act in several popular television shows such as “Blossom”, “7th Heaven”, and “The Wonder Years”. In 2003 Keith played Captain James J. White in the film “Gods and Generals” starring another friend Robert Duvall. In 2007, Keith was inducted as a member of Paul Revere & The Raiders into the Oregon Music
Hall of Fame. In 2015, Keith was inducted as an Ambassador of the Buddy Holly Foundation along with Don Everly, and was presented with a replica Buddy Holiday J45 guitar presented by Jerry Allison. In 2016, at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa, Keith played guitar and sang with The Crickets for their final performance. Since 2000, Keith has been a permanent guest member of the Waddy Wachtel Band. Keith is survived by his wife Tina Stern of 40 years, Son Ryeland Allison, Daughters Allison Gonzalez (Husband Rob) and Brenda Meck (Husband Rich), Sister Cherri Hicks (Husband Don), Judith Allison & Don Reo, eight grandchildren Zephyr, Skyler, Gavin, Adrian, Madeline, Isabella, Makyla, Mercedes, and six great grandchildren.
A Celebration of Keith’s Life will be announced at a future date.
Please direct any media inquiries to: Alex Hart alexhartmanagement@yahoo.com"
  • Thanks 2

Telegraph come in with a QO for Astro.

They also released one yesterday for Allan Wilmot of The Southlanders.

Some great pics featured  in both of them.

Martin Wright, guitarist and keyboardist with 1990s popsters Intastella, which troubled the lower reaches of the UK top 75 on 4 occasions, being reported dead: 

Top position was #60 in September 1995 with The Night:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Martin Wright, guitarist and keyboardist with 1990s popsters Intastella, which troubled the lower reaches of the UK top 75 on 4 occasions, being reported dead: 

Top position was #60 in September 1995 with The Night:

Fucking hell that song gives hope to any fucker of making it into the top 75, simply by recording the sound of their own farts.

On 06/09/2017 at 16:23, FixedBusiness said:

Aside from him, maybe another possibility from this band is former guitarist/occasional singer Bruce Conte, who was diagnosed with leukemia in 2012. Not sure how he is doing now, but something to keep in mind.

Bruce Conte of Tower of Power died sometime in August 2021. https://www.kmjnow.com/2021/08/09/local-guitar-legend-bruce-conte-passes-away/

Don't know if it was reported as some folk round here only quote then say DEAD. We do need the names you know, to make them searchable, so apologies if this has been followed up before.

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Bruce Conte of Tower of Power died sometime in August 2021. https://www.kmjnow.com/2021/08/09/local-guitar-legend-bruce-conte-passes-away/

Don't know if it was reported as some folk round here only quote then say DEAD. We do need the names you know, to make them searchable, so apologies if this has been followed up before.

Agreed. Starting to become annoying and hard to search for things again.

I'll be covering the new SAG AFTRA magazine in memoriam when it comes out in the next few days and it becomes a difficult task to work out who hasn't already been mentioned on the forum if people just hyperlink with "DEAD." because they're more interested in brownie points for speed.

• Like 1