maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Agreed. Starting to become annoying and hard to search for things again.

I'll be covering the new SAG AFTRA magazine in memoriam when it comes out in the next few days and it becomes a difficult task to work out who hasn't already been mentioned on the forum if people just hyperlink with "DEAD." because they're more interested in brownie points for speed.

It's only acceptable for named threads. No-one is going to miss Clarissa Eden's death for example because they posted DEAD - ahem- that'd be me. :lol:

Otherwise, I'd suggest folk try and name the person please, even if it's a follow up to a previous post, because that won't show up in a search. Thanks - as we come to the end of the year with all the lists of the dead about to come out, this could be a nightmare.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2019 at 17:13, msc said:

It's been a while since there was a stupidly long list of aging folk. So here is an extended version of that music one, up to 1958, as musicians keep dying in their 60s of late. All genres, put here after Admin Advice. Every single name will QO as and when, and I expect a good... 50% at least to be deadpool fodder within the next 5 years or so.

-          1930: Peter Hope, John Scott, Heather Harper, Chris Barber, Jimmie Macgregor, Stephen Sondheim, Sonny Rollins

-          1931: Alfred Brendel, Caterina Valente, Phyllis McGuire, Alvin Lucier, Joao Gilberto, Jerry Herman, Kenny Burrell

-          1932: Petula Clark, John Williams, John Kinsella, Loretta Lynn, Ernest Ranglin, Lalo Schifrin, Per Norgard, Bob Moore, Little Richard

Alvin Lucier, noted above, has died aged 90.

Obituary: Daily ExpressGuardian

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes. @msc, time you updated your list!

As hints go, very subtle! It shall, soon.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.2f8eb11f3ff57c54140cde11d759761a.jpeg

They are not near death but I thought it was worth publishing anyway

Arnold Rimmer and the bank manager who just turned down your last overdraft extension kidnap a laborer from a local building site to kidnap Simon Webbe from 2001

12 hours ago, time said:

Stonewall Jackson dead aged 89.

Stonewall Jackson hit #24 in the UK Charts in 1959. His only UK single entry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Shame, I liked John Miles back in the day, and I never cared if Music was overblown self-indulgence, as it was once described to me.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, time said:

Shame, I liked John Miles back in the day, and I never cared if Music was overblown self-indulgence, as it was once described to me.

I don't care either what I  do care about is what was the drivel that kept it off number one.FFS

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redrumours said:

I don't care either what I  do care about is what was the drivel that kept it off number one.FFS

Save Your Kisses For Me by Brotherhood Of Man and Abba's Fernando ahead of Music for the three weeks Music at #3.

I don't mind any of them tbh.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Save Your Kisses For Me by Brotherhood Of Man and Abba's Fernando ahead of Music for the three weeks Music at #3.

I don't mind any of them tbh.

Barry White was at number 2 for the 1st week of Music at number 3, which was its fourth week on the chart. Save all your kisses was number one for 6 weeks, such was the power of Eurovision back then.

• Like 1

I love this, and I bought it at the time:D

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, time said:

Sometimes you just hate songs, one of them is definitely "Music" for me.

Others are e.g. "In the year 2525" or "What's up" or "Baker Street" - I can't listen to them and my whole body shakes with disgust! :puke:

1 minute ago, Book said:

Sometimes you just hate songs, one of them is definitely "Music" for me.

Others are e.g. "In the year 2525" or "What's up" or "Baker Street" - I can't listen to them and my whole body shakes with disgust! :puke:

Absolutely, I've got a few myself -  Hotel California, Sweet Home Alabama, Believe & All Summer Long to name but a few; the thing is I probably didn't start off hating them, but grew to through sheer overexposure, whereas some others I can't have too much of.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, time said:

Absolutely, I've got a few myself -  Hotel California, Sweet Home Alabama, Believe & All Summer Long to name but a few; the thing is I probably didn't start off hating them, but grew to through sheer overexposure, whereas some others I can't have too much of.

I really can't explain why I hate some songs that much. I think it's a quirk or something like that :D

39 minutes ago, time said:

I once left an Eagles gig while they were playing Hotel California. People were staring at me in disbelief. :lol:

I don't hate it, but it's a song I never need to hear again and I had a train to catch. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Toast said:

I once left an Eagles gig while they were playing Hotel California. People were staring at me in disbelief. :lol:

I don't hate it, but it's a song I never need to hear again and I had a train to catch. 

I actually own the Hotel California Album (on cassette), which I requested as a birthday present back when it was new.  I haven't listened to it in years precisely because I got so fed up of that track.

I don't mind the single version, but that dreadful unplugged filth of the Eagles, and there's ALWAYS someone screaming in the audience. Just like Clapton's Layla unplugged; YUCK!!

And about John Miles; finally. Don't think he ever made another song.

15 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

I don't mind the single version, but that dreadful unplugged filth of the Eagles, and there's ALWAYS someone screaming in the audience. Just like Clapton's Layla unplugged; YUCK!!

He did - He'd previously hit number 17 with High Fly, then after Music number 32 with Remember Yesterday and number 10 with Slow Down. But then the hits didn't so much slow down as stop. Music was his only Dutch hit, no idea if the others were released there.

12 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

He was a one hit wonder, but his album Rebel did well at the time too. (Its cover showed him in a James Dean pose from East of Eden, part of a rather unconvincing image makeover. A few months before he'd been a long-haired type like a second guitarist from Status Quo.)

He also made a surprising number of singles before reaching the big time, going back to 1970.

18 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

He was a one hit wonder, but his album Rebel did well at the time too. (Its cover showed him in a James Dean pose from East of Eden, part of a rather unconvincing image makeover. A few months before he'd been a long-haired type like a second guitarist from Status Quo.)

He also made a surprising number of singles before reaching the big time, going back to 1970.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago. This reached number 10 in the UK, so most definitely a hit. You'd probably recognise High Fly too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, time said:

While we (my home DP) mocked the headline music ‘legend’ John Miles died, I defended it.  I said he must have been legendary; the funeral procession went for Miles.