maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Truly awful record.

7 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh no, the least we can do to mark this is rock again in her memory - 

No Soeur Sourire for sure.

It's not even the worst song with those lyrics - remember Cliff's 'Millennium Prayer'?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JQW said:

It's not even the worst song with those lyrics - remember Cliff's 'Millennium Prayer'?

Nah, that was marginally "better" IMO.

6 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Truly awful record.

I quite like it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I quite like it.

Handy, not giving a shit and showing everybody that she is quite happy to swim against the tide..:D

16 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Handy, not giving a shit and showing everybody that she is quite happy to swim against the tide..:D

Aye, there was a slew of singing nuns in the 60's and 70's. For sheer oddity in that company Sister Irene O'Connor takes some beating - several sound-hounds have commented on its resemblance to the works of Yoko Ono. Still alive btw, obit chances on the UK's main pools very marginal even on a slow news day.

• Like 2

We had this record when I was little.

52 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, there was a slew of singing nuns in the 60's and 70's. For sheer oddity in that company Sister Irene O'Connor takes some beating - several sound-hounds have commented on its resemblance to the works of Yoko Ono. Still alive btw, obit chances on the UK's main pools very marginal even on a slow news day.

"Fire" - later covered by the Pointer Sisters.

Oh wait - it's not the same one.

3 hours ago, Toast said:

Arthur Brown?

2 hours ago, time said:
5 hours ago, Toast said:

Arthur Brown?

No, Bruce Springsteen.

but, you know - nuns = sisters.

7 hours ago, Toast said:

No, Bruce Springsteen.

but, you know - nuns = sisters.

Ahh, I missed the nun pun!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, there was a slew of singing nuns in the 60's and 70's. 

Ah, so what you're saying is that Sisters weren't doin' it by themselves?

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Donny Gerrard, the lead singer of the Canadian band Skylark, who had a U.S. #9 hit with 'Wildflower' in 1973, has died. Gerrard also had a couple of minor solo hits a couple of years later.

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-donny-gerrard-lead-singer-skylark-wildflower-dead-20220204-zacrgee3rvg57cm6gp5cayafjq-story.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Donny Gerrard, the lead singer of the Canadian band Skylark, who had a U.S. #9 hit with 'Wildflower' in 1973, has died. Gerrard also had a couple of minor solo hits a couple of years later.

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-donny-gerrard-lead-singer-skylark-wildflower-dead-20220204-zacrgee3rvg57cm6gp5cayafjq-story.html

Rather unusual: ‘The title, "Wildflower", is not mentioned in the song. The closest line to the title occurs as the final line of the repeated chorus: "She's a free and gentle flower growing wild".’

• Like 1

Owen Moran, bassist and vocalist with '80s Liverpool indie band Cook Da Books, being reported dead on Twitter: 

Rather better known in Europe for Your Eyes, one of the songs they provided for the French film La Boum 2:

• Like 2

King Louie Bankston, who played in the garage punk bands The Royal Pendletons, The Persuaders, The Exploding Hearts, Missing Monuments, and many other groups, has died.

The news came via Missing Monuments' Facebook where they simply wrote, "R.I.P. to the king."

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/king-louie-bankston-rip/

• Like 2

On 27/09/2021 at 16:34, arghton said:

Paul Di'Anno massive swelling in his legs in a new picture:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-iron-maiden-singer-paul-dianno-is-still-waiting-for-his-knee-surgery-the-situation-is-only-getting-worse/

A physician in the comments of the original facebook post speculates that Di'Anno has advanced untreated diabetes and hypertension. 

Paul Di'Anno now in Zagreb receiving lymph drainage for his swollen leg. Sitting in a wheelchair, talking to a podcast:

https://loudwire.com/paul-dianno-sepsis-almost-killed-him-2015/

He's getting better, he says, and might appear at a concert again.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Paul Di'Anno now in Zagreb receiving lymph drainage for his swollen leg. Sitting in a wheelchair, talking to a podcast:

https://loudwire.com/paul-dianno-sepsis-almost-killed-him-2015/

He's getting better, he says, and might appear at a concert again.

A returnee to my team this year. 

It's a matter of time, any infection could conceivably kill him outright. Imo.

• Like 1

"It would be a miracle for me to see 80" says Pete Townshend...

...in an overly dramatic interview about his past substance abuse which I am linking to now. This needed a Who thread bumped for the full effect, but I couldn't find one.

42 minutes ago, msc said:

"It would be a miracle for me to see 80" says Pete Townshend...

...in an overly dramatic interview about his past substance abuse which I am linking to now. This needed a Who thread bumped for the full effect, but I couldn't find one.

Damn, he's running out of time to finish that book he started writing 20 years ago that required him to download all the cheese pizza.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Damn, he's running out of time to finish that book he started writing 20 years ago that required him to download all the cheese pizza.

Even at the time it struck me Townshend and Langham's defences were rather alike, yet one got forgiven and the other's career ended. Apparently there's more mileage in a few rock songs than being an antisocial comedian...

• Like 1

Roger Segal of the Philadelphia rock bands Trashlight Vision and Sorry and the Sinatras was found stabbed to death in a Wawa parking lot in South Philly on Monday (2/14) morning, CBS3 Philly reports. He was 49.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/philly-musician-roger-segal-trashlight-vision-sorry-and-the-sinatras-killed-in-stabbing-at-49

• Like 1

Reading up on one of the all-time great one-hit wonders, I discovered that while DJ Sven went on to be a successful radio host, MC Miker G became a drug addict and was homeless for several years. He looks like this now:

1554985163277-lede.jpeg?crop=1xw:0.84375

• Like 1