maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

On 19/05/2022 at 22:00, Toast said:

Surely you know "State Of Independence".  Best known version is probably the Donna Summer one, but there's also an excellent version on the Moodswings album with vocals by Chrissie Hynde.

Having listened, I can say it's familiar, but only the Vangelis version. Quite an unusual choice for Donna Summer I have to say. Chrissie Hynde has a beautiful voice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Having listened, I can say it's familiar, but only the Vangelis version. Quite an unusual choice for Donna Summer I have to say. Chrissie Hynde has a beautiful voice.

Donna was so much more than a disco queen.

• Like 2

On 19/05/2022 at 18:14, Toast said:

I'd forgotten this gem.

Damn I fucking loved that performance RIP to a legend.

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Reports that US 80s funk and R&B proponent Bernard Wright has died aged a mere 58: 

#6 in the US R&B Charts in 1985 with this little number, though appears to have done little UKside:

Bernard Wright was also the only child of Roberta Flack.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Bernard Wright was also the only child of Roberta Flack.

Not according to the lady herself...

• Like 1

I was surprised at the reporting yesterday, as I really would have stated the fact, had I believed it to be true.

And as the guy who has Roberta on the DDP. At least that's settled the matter.

On 19/06/2020 at 19:43, Death Impends said:

So, as mentioned occasionally before, Ulitzer's UK charts project sparked me to explore the 50s and beyond of the US Billboard charts and now I've listened to nearly everything that marked the Billboard charts between 1955 and 1959. Maybe a dozen songs were not on YouTube. While I won't be doing anything nearly as comprehensive as Ulitzer's project I thought I'd compile a list of living performers from the era. Not every last living name is here; ie there are some groups with multiple living members that I only list the frontman for. If they charted as part of a band, the band is included in parentheses regardless of whether or not the artist would become better known under a different band name (the living Four Seasons and Simon & Garfunkel are prime examples).

*snip*

1932 - Stonewall Jackson, Ray Perkins (The Crew Cuts), Leon Hughes (The Coasters), Gerry Granahan (Dicky Doo & the Don'ts), Dick Flood

*snip*

Heard during an early 60s countdown that Gerry Granahan died a few months ago. Later a producer in the 60s for groups such as Jay & The Americans.

Figured I'd update the original post, a quick search of the names uncovered a few other deaths that haven't been otherwise mentioned on the forum:

Otis Williams of doo-wop group The Charms was already dead at the time of the previous post. Ignore, this was another member of the band

Charles Patrick of doo-wop group The Monotones died on his 82nd birthday in September 2020.

Bobby Hendricks, member of The Drifters who sang lead on several of their songs such as "Drip Drop" died two months ago.

Heh Heh Heh "Dick Flood".

2 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Cathal Coughlan, mainstay of Microdisney and the Fatima Mansions, has died after "a long illness".

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2022/0523/1300682-singer-cathal-coughlan-dies-aged-61/

Yeah, just got a press release about it - he's been - metaphorically - on fire lately, really good new album last year and he was half of Telefis who also turned in a great album. Really sad.

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah, just got a press release about it - he's been - metaphorically - on fire lately, really good new album last year and he was half of Telefis who also turned in a great album. Really sad.

Absolutely gutted.  CC is one of my ultimate heroes & had the pleasure in seeing him many times.

in recent interviews promoting his recent work he’s alluded to ‘changes’ in the last couple of years but was still talking about new releases included a 2nd Telefis album & possible tours.

A major talent gone far, far too young.

Viva Dead Ponies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grande Pablo said:

Absolutely gutted.  CC is one of my ultimate heroes & had the pleasure in seeing him many times.

in recent interviews promoting his recent work he’s alluded to ‘changes’ in the last couple of years but was still talking about new releases included a 2nd Telefis album & possible tours.

A major talent gone far, far too young.

Viva Dead Ponies.

Re that 2nd Telefis album, I've seen stuff about that. I got the impression there was an album's worth recorded and it just needed finishing - hopefully it'll still get a release if that's the case.

• Like 1

Vangelis died???? How did I miss that. One of the true greats. I particularly liked his team-up with Jon Anderson

Andy Fletcher dead: 

• Sad 4
  • Shocked 9

Andy Fletcher is a miss for my TOTP Team for 1986, as Stripped reached #15 in the UK chart that year:

Truly saddened by this loss.

RIP. 

• Sad 1

Ah very sad... kind of the stable constant in that band. And while the status of Depeche Mode was already mostly comatose, I guess now the band is definitely dead.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!:o

• Like 1

Bloody hell Spade and your voodoo.:o

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Andy Fletcher dead: 

WHAT!

Bugger, did not see this one coming. Very sad. One of Basildon’s finest.

RIP, Fletch! Watching my childhood heroes going out one by one... Too sad!

Glad I saw them when they were here in 2019.

• Like 1

Fletch lives, or maybe not. RIP to a true professional.