maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

12 hours ago, ajlposh said:

Peter Asher, of Peter and Gordon fame, is recovering from emergency brain surgery

Much more significant - probably - as a manager, helmed James Taylor's career for years including a heftly length when Taylor was fit to record and perform but was enough of a smackhead to need Asher to handle everything else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Much more significant - probably - as a manager, helmed James Taylor's career for years including a heftly length when Taylor was fit to record and perform but was enough of a smackhead to need Asher to handle everything else. 

Isn't he also the brother of Jane Asher who was Paul McCartney's girlfriend in the 1960s, also an actress and baker of cakes?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Toast said:

Isn't he also the brother of Jane Asher who was Paul McCartney's girlfriend in the 1960s, also an actress and baker of cakes?

Yes, he is.

But no relation to the guy who had a number one hit in the 90s, Brim Fuller Asher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Toast said:

Yeah, I can't find it on YouTube but there's a wonderful interview with Walter Yetnikoff - perhaps best described as a music industry executive with a combative streak - in which he discusses music industry behaviour in the 1970s, the point at which labels started to behave like the money making conglomerates they became. When Warner Bros poached Paul Simon from CBS Yetnikoff decided to get even and successfully targetted James Taylor. In the interview Yetnikoff discusses the moment in the room when he grabbed Asher by the scruff of the neck, used a number of names - "limey ponce" being about the most polite - and persuaded Asher to sign the CBS contract  that landed Taylor - drawing him away from Warners and  basically evening the score with the poaching of Paul Simon. The contract spawned the multi-platinum JT album and made all three of those in the combative meeting richer than they already were. 

• Like 1

Report of the death of Joyce Sims, who had several UK charting singles in the 1980s. https://www.soultracks.com/story-joyce-sims-dies

Edit: Looks like her cousin posted on Twitter - Joyce seems to have died on 13th October by the looks of it.

Probably better known for Come Into My Life (#7, January 1988) but a miss for my 1986 TOTP theme team this year as she hit #16 in May 1986 with (You Are My) All And All (but who is going to pick a seemingly healthy 63 year old?):

• Like 7

On 09/08/2016 at 12:44, YoungWillz said:

Padraig Duggan, founding member of Clannad, has died aged 67. http://www.thejournal.ie/clannad-padraig-duggan-rip-2918032-Aug2016/

Noel Duggan. Padraig's twin brother, has died suddenly aged 73: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40984541.html

Noel was a DDP pick for me on my TOTP theme team in 2018 @Death Impends so List of the Missed. He wouldn't have been eligible for me again until 2025.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Noel Duggan. Padraig's twin brother, has died suddenly aged 73: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40984541.html

Noel was a DDP pick for me on my TOTP theme team in 2018 @Death Impends so List of the Missed. He wouldn't have been eligible for me again until 2025.

Oops, forgot the link for LotM: https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2018/celebs_D.html#duggann018

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

My third cousin. My old Maths teacher who's also from Gweedore explained my family tree once, but I've forgotten how it went. Too big of a family (not fans of contraception)

• Like 5
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

My third cousin. My old Maths teacher who's also from Gweedore explained my family tree once, but I've forgotten how it went. Too big of a family (not fans of contraception)

Hopefully you don’t have their genes as 67 and 73 are not old ages!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Hopefully you don’t have their genes as 67 and 73 are not old ages!

My 4 grandparents have got to 91 on average so I should be in the clear!

• Like 3

So, I was reviewing my prospective TOTP Theme team for 1987 for next year.

Looks like we missed the death being announced https://www.facebook.com/simonnapierbell/posts/1146337769265214 of Duncan Millar from pneumonia in May 2022, one half of the duo Blue Mercedes, who had a #23 hit in the UK in December 1987 with I Want To Be Your Property:

• Like 2

On 22/01/2022 at 04:51, Ulitzer95 said:

Very good list @msc, but Faye Adams is likely dead.

Well Mark Goldberg was so right, she indeed died on November 2, 2016 in Englewood, New Jersey as Fannie Jones

Here is her death record in Accurint, time to update her wiki

IMG_20221018_153652_621.thumb.jpg.a9740d9746ed3374d77c3e0e405105f2.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Szabaka said:

Dusty Hill of ZZ Top (dead at 72)

Last year...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Szabaka said:

hmmm ... that news popped up on my news dated yesterday but I see he died in July 2021 ... sorry about that

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Szabaka said:

I guess you could say that he is dusty by now

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

Well Mark Goldberg was so right, she indeed died on November 2, 2016 in Englewood, New Jersey as Fannie Jones

Here is her death record in Accurint, time to update her wiki

IMG_20221018_153652_621.thumb.jpg.a9740d9746ed3374d77c3e0e405105f2.jpg

I presume this is the same record Goldberg has already seen though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I presume this is the same record Goldberg has already seen though.

"She remarried in 1968 and, as Fannie Jones, returned to her gospel roots and family life in New Jersey"

100% it is the singer, the details of her marriage are the same with the record and DOB it's May 1923

• Like 1

Will Toledo of Car Seat Headrest has been cancelling tour dates, stating that his body "lacks the basic level of functionality necessary to leave the house most days", whatever the hell that means.

https://www.facebook.com/carseatheadrest/posts/pfbid026wha9vx9zs7edQZTQKoPPk1S55wJdM8VfTSDANaE4sMyUEHYFVSaE4tFCURtxo7vl

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

(Wiki) Lucy Simon died Oct. 20th at age 82. She was part of the duo The Simon Sisters .

Mentioned in the UK Singles thread along with her sister (Wiki) Carly Simon.

Their other sister Joanna Simon, a soprano on her own, dead at 84....the day before Lucy. Bad week.

• Like 6
  • Sad 4
  • Shocked 4

44 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Concerns rise on Twitter after Ariana Grande’s new instagram photos 

96334825-9320-4496-83D5-F4F1F2C6D76D.jpeg

98DBF1A6-DBC7-40C6-A622-49D893C77FBC.jpeg

The way she is hiding her forearms and given how large her eyes are. I'd guess that this is likely because of drugs.

• Like 1