maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Bertha Barbee-McNeal, founder member of The Velvelettes, a Motown band that had several minor US hits (Needle In A Haystack, He Was Really Saying Something) and only one UK charting single, reportedly dead: https://www.soultracks.com/story-bertha-barbee-mcneal-dies

The Specials’ Terry Hall dead at 63.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

Well fuck, I appear to have out-ninja’d our resident obit ninja.

I’d be jubilant in any other circumstances but The Specials is a band I really like (my dad got me into them) and I’m really quite sad at this news.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 4

16 minutes ago, TQR said:

Well fuck, I appear to have out-ninja’d our resident obit ninja.

I’d be jubilant in any other circumstances but The Specials is a band I really like (my dad got me into them) and I’m really quite sad at this news.

16 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

A rarity to see @Thatcher beaten (just)

If only @Thatcher hadn't added that wiki link!

I quite enjoyed a bit of The Specials back in the day, but lately spoiled by constant repetition of *that* joke.

Awful news, and much too young (yes, I know there's a pun to be had there...) The whole 2Tone/ska thing was massive at my first school so this is a huge loss :(

Well, that sucks.

Noooooo!  I loved Terry to bits.  :(:(:(

The Specials Live EP was the second record I ever bought. :(

However, probably more apt is this favourite from 1985:

Goodbye Terry, got me through a lot of heartache for which I thank you.

RIP - I'll be thinking of you.

• Like 2

I loved FB3.  RIP.

Not one of you eejits picked up on the Bananarama song I posted yesterday?  This is ASTONISHING coincidence, unless you are dense (take a collective look in the mirror).

”Terry Hall left the band to start Fun Boy Three with Golding and Staple, abandoning ska for a more experimental, skeletal pop sound.…

But the band found more commercial success by teaming up with the era's biggest girl groups.

They duetted with Bananarama on Really Saying Something…”

[Bertha Barbee-McNeal died two days ago, a member of The Velvelettes, a Motown band that had the hit “He Was Really Saying Something”.]

TWO people very closely related to this song die in 48 hours.  
SC

Anyway, FB3 best song imho.

2 minutes ago, Sir Cunto said:

I loved FB3.  RIP.

Not one of you eejits picked up on the Bananarama song I posted yesterday?  This is ASTONISHING coincidence, unless you are dense (take a collective look in the mirror).

”Terry Hall left the band to start Fun Boy Three with Golding and Staple, abandoning ska for a more experimental, skeletal pop sound.…

But the band found more commercial success by teaming up with the era's biggest girl groups.

They duetted with Bananarama on Really Saying Something…”

[Bertha Barbee-McNeal died two days ago, a member of The Velvelettes, a Motown band that had the hit “He Was Really Saying Something”.]

TWO people very closely related to this song die in 48 hours.  
SC

Is Jane Wiedlin next?

• Sad 1

On 27/07/2020 at 19:16, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Martin Duffy, keyboardist for Primal Scream since 1989, dead aged 55.

Also a member of Felt in the 80s and briefly stepped in for The Charlatans when their keyboardist died.

• Like 4

James O’Brien has been doing an hour on Terry Hall just now on LBC. It’s great to hear of the huge outpouring of love and recognition of The Specials’ positive cultural impact. Once this is finished I’m playing the living shite out of all their stuff again.

• Like 2

Love love love The Specials, always did.

48 minutes ago, TQR said:

James O’Brien has been doing an hour on Terry Hall just now on LBC. It’s great to hear of the huge outpouring of love and recognition of The Specials’ positive cultural impact. Once this is finished I’m playing the living shite out of all their stuff again.

Why am I not the slightest bit surprised that you listen to JOb? :lol: 

20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Why am I not the slightest bit surprised that you listen to JOb? :lol: 

Because despite your differing worldview, you recognise the progressive, thoughtful, forthright and intelligent (if occasionally immodest) person that I am :)

So, Terry Hall's story includes being abducted to France and abused for a short while by a genuine paedo gang. Which goes a long way to explaining his leaving school without taking any exams and the political stance - i.e. on the side of the underdog the whole time - he subsequently adopted. It's amazing he went from that start to the level of nationally loved musical hero. 

• Like 3