maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

2 hours ago, Perhaps said:

Isn't anyone that wasn't famous before 1980 a "who" to you though?

Nah! I'd probably put it to the 90's. Lost touch with the music industry at the start of that decade 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, msc said:

If you know any of their songs, it'll be the riff that kicks in here. 

Otherwise, properly massive 90s band.

Ah yes. I recognise the riff, but that's all.  

Edit: penny's just dropped. The riff is used for big brother show? 

Edited by Paul Bearer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

First I've heard of both him, and the band. Checked them out, seemed decent. Also, I'm pretty sure that IF Pele died, today, Maxi's death WOULD NOT overshadow it, at all. Pele is a WAY bigger name, and star. Just sayin'.

If you're referring to my earlier post, I was suggesting it would be Pele's that overshadows Maxi's, not the other way around, because, as much as I enjoy Faithless' music, in general Pele is more prolific as you say. Apologies if this was not clear first time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brad252 said:

If Pele goes imminently this could be another of those Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett, or JFK and C.S. Lewis instances.

JFK, C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley. Huxley took his last trip while the news of Kennedy was on the TV in another room.

Hollywood Reporter's Chris Gardner tweeting that Anita Pointer, of the Pointer Sisters, has died at age 74. Her death appears to have been on December 31st.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Hollywood Reporter's Chris Gardner tweeting that Anita Pointer, of the Pointer Sisters, has died at age 74. Her death appears to have been on December 31st.

Not a QO, but a news source confirms.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/anita-pointer-of-the-pointer-sister-dies-she-was-74/3064768/

• Like 1

Damn....

I could have entered Ruth in my last member alive list if she died a bit sooner...

Sad news. Would not have expected Ruth - the eldest Pointer with the deep voice - to be the last one left. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

From a reliable source, this was her favorite website.

https://pointerpointer.com/

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Alan Rankine, keyboardist and guitarist for The Associateshas died aged 64.

Terrible news. Party Fears Two is one of those superbly crafted and underrated choons.

When you note that Rankine's label launched Biffy Clyro, Belle And Sebastian etc., you realise how influential Rankine was - too young, and both founding Associates members dead.

RIP.

• Like 3

Yeah, most student record labels would consider themselves a success if they had one artist playlisted on 6 Music. For Electric Honey to have launched the careers of three bands (B&S, Biffy Clyro, Snow Patrol) that could all headline major music festivals is frankly staggering.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

RIP. Party Fears Two was a stone cold classic. The album Sulk is great too.

Someone once shared this story with me.  I have no idea if it's true.

"One of my closest friends was the brother of Alan Rankine of The Associates.
We went down to visit Alan and Bill when they were recording "Sulk" in Playground Studios.
I think it was in Camden.
Mike Hedges was producing the record if memory serves.
Anyway, when we got there they were working on a song called "I Never Will" but they were kinda stuck.
Anyway after a lot of drink and substances were consumed we got a taxi and set out to a party in Steve Strange's flat.
He was dressed as Andy Pandy.
It was a full on New Romantic party with two leather jacketed hairy big bearded hippies amongst them.
After about twenty minutes Steve lurched towards us and said "Billy, Alan - you guys can stay but your friends need to go - they're freaking everybody out."
So we all left.
Couple of days later Bill changed the name of "I Never Will" and they recorded it that day.
The new title?
"Party Fears Two".
That's the story!"

• Like 1

Gordy Harmon, a founding member of the American R&B/pop act The Whispers, has died. He was 79. The act formed in the early 1960s. He was there until 1973. They charted regularly in the U.S. in the 70s and 80s, with 1987's Rock Steady their biggest hit, peaking at #7.

https://abc7.com/gordy-harmon-the-whispers-rb-music-obituary/12660553/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Rumours on the tweeter sphere that David Gates, singer/songwriter with the band Bread, has died.

Might have come from FB, can’t find a reliable source so far.

• Shocked 1

If the above is true, then he'll be a DDP hit for Dead Beats.

Though looking, the Wiki editor who updated Gates's page to say he died did the same for Norman Greenbaum minutes later.

Might be a case where Wiki vandalism gets wider attention?

There were Facebook posts but majority of them now retracted saying it was a hoax.

I haven't got him on any teams - It Don't Matter to Me

On 21/06/2022 at 21:03, YoungWillz said:

Eddie Levert contracts the COVID while preparing for the O'Jays farewell tour: https://www.soultracks.com/story-eddie-levert-covid

Who will say farewell first - Eddie or the group? :o

Rumours that Eddie Levert had died are shot down: https://www.soultracks.com/story-eddie-levert-healthy

Don't believe the Backstabbers....:cover_ears: