maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Is Ciara dead or one of they Facebook hoaxes? (UK #1 with Goodies in 2005).

• Like 1

This is absurd, it can't be!

2 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

This is absurd, it can't be!

Well, I dunno, that's why I'm asking, ha!

Someone who worked with her reporting it, but on the basis of FB, to which I'm not a party.

Isn't he referring to "Jackie Murphy"?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Ciara is still having top 20 singles, absolutely no way she dies and it doesn't get reported for 24 hours. He's talking about Jackie Murphy, who was (or is if she's not dead)  the former art director for Sony/Jive.

Yeah, very unclear from the post, bad phrasing. That might clear it up then.

Ciara should release a cover of Scott Walker's Jackie - ("about the time they called me Jackie"). :lol:

Not helped by the fact that one of her albums was called Jackie. Terribly confusing for an old man. :P

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Not helped by the fact that one of her albums was called Jackie. Terribly confusing for an old man. :P

Why are you allowed to call yourself an old man but when I do you accuse me of playing with faeces in kindergarten?!

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Why are you allowed to call yourself an old man but when I do you accuse me of playing with faeces in kindergarten?!

In the same way I can make jokes about poofs....

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

In the same way I can make jokes about poofs....

So can I!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

So can I!

I think my point was that, being on a Forum where no one was alive from the the time of Queen Victoria, it was a very poor "joke", exacerbated by the fact that that part of January was the anniversary of my late little brother''s death, which always gets me thinking about my own mortality. Wrong time, wrong place, plus I can be a miserable bastard sometimes.

Hey, it's February, I'm in a better place and looking forward to my nephew's 21st.

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

I think my point was that, being on a Forum where no one was alive from the the time of Queen Victoria, it was a very poor "joke", exacerbated by the fact that that part of January was the anniversary of my late little brother''s death, which always gets me thinking about my own mortality. Wrong time, wrong place, plus I can be a miserable bastard sometimes.

Hey, it's February, I'm in a better place and looking forward to my nephew's 21st.

You can’t be that old if your nephew is only 21! 

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Unlikely but can be. On one side of my family my oldest aunt will be 90 if she makes it (Currently 76) before her youngest nephew is 21. 

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

My littlest brother was born 6 and a half years after me, and it's his boy. Although we have good genes (mid-late 20s I was still being ID-ed for clubs), my nephew is quite simply a stunning heartbreaker and the lassie that gets him shall be lucky indeed.

I still look younger than most of my contemporaries. But with one heart attack behind me and the future full of no heating, eating porridge and sandwiches, I'm definitely feeling the age I am. (Late 50s, baby!)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

My littlest brother was born 6 and a half years after me, and it's his boy. Although we have good genes (mid-late 20s I was still being ID-ed for clubs), my nephew is quite simply a stunning heartbreaker and the lassie that gets him shall be lucky indeed.

I still look younger than most of my contemporaries. But with one heart attack behind me and the future full of no heating, eating porridge and sandwiches, I'm definitely feeling the age I am. (Late 50s, baby!)

Are you 50 year old?

1 minute ago, Gisooo said:

Are you 50 year old?

Age is just a number. Marking the march between birth and death.

• Like 1

I am asking because this August I'll turn 21 like your nephew

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was going to say there's a quarter of a century age difference between me and my niece, but then I double counted and realised it was even bigger than that.

Willz old enough to be my dad, I'm old enough to be Clorox's dad, in a decade or so on the DL Clorox will have the exact same feeling with some new younger Scottish regular. Circle of getting fucking auld...:D

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, msc said:

I was going to say there's a quarter of a century age difference between me and my niece, but then I double counted and realised it was even bigger than that.

Willz old enough to be my dad, I'm old enough to be Clorox's dad, in a decade or so on the DL Clorox will have the exact same feeling with some new younger Scottish regular. Circle of getting fucking auld...:D

My youngest nephew is 30 years younger than me and today his partner is giving birth to their third child.

25 years is effectively the generational gap

• Like 1

I used to know a young woman who had a daughter of 16 and a son of about 3. Her daughter became pregnant and had a girl, so her son became an uncle approx 3 years older than his niece. Then my friend became pregnant again with another boy, so her granddaughter was going to have an uncle that would actually be younger than herself.

On 26/01/2023 at 09:57, Sir Creep said:

mpfc, you seem troubled and confused; let me try to help.
If a person had a pop hit single you are to place the obit in the Pop thread.

If a person had a country hit single you are to place the obit in the Country thread.

If a person had a jazz hit single you are to place the obit in the Jazz   (Didn’t Wake Up) thread.

If a person had a heavy metal hit single you are to place the obit in the Heavy Metal (Stairway/Highway) thread.

If a person had a classical hit single you are to place the obit in the classical (Minimalists) thread.

If a person had a folk hit single you are to place the obit in the Folk thread.

If a person had a prog rock hit single you are to place the obit in either of the Prog (Close to the End/Next Piper) threads.

If a person had a punk/new wave hit single you are to place the obit in the Punk/Wavers thread.

Its all very, very easy, and I canna imagine why you would ever post a musical obit in the Singles Chart thread, which really serves no purpose, as I have shown.

SirC

So when a folk band on their way to becoming a fixture of prog festivals (though this will only happen after the duo with pop sensibilities decide to decamp and form their own act) happen upon a pop hit largely because two of their number write a jaunty novelty song that captures the national imagination, I post it right where I posted it, right?

Phil Spalding, bassist most notably with the band Toyah (before she went solo), reportedly dead: https://www.instagram.com/p/CoUcmOHIJ1r/?igshid=YTgzYjQ4ZTY%3D

@Death Impends Spalding was a DDP pick for me years ago, so List of the Missed, if not picked this year.

This would have been the vid I would have posted:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Phil Spalding, bassist most notably with the band Toyah (before she went solo), reportedly dead: https://www.instagram.com/p/CoUcmOHIJ1r/?igshid=YTgzYjQ4ZTY%3D

@Death Impends Spalding was a DDP pick for me years ago, so List of the Missed, if not picked this year.

This would have been the vid I would have posted:

Report of Phil Spalding's death: https://dmme.net/phil-spalding-passed-away/

On plenty of records. Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield I bought at the time.

• Like 2