maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Phil Spalding, bassist most notably with the band Toyah (before she went solo), reportedly dead: https://www.instagram.com/p/CoUcmOHIJ1r/?igshid=YTgzYjQ4ZTY%3D

@Death Impends Spalding was a DDP pick for me years ago, so List of the Missed, if not picked this year.

This would have been the vid I would have posted:

That's just awful!

It's not surprising that she now just plays with her boobs on YouTube.

• Like 1

Not dead yet but Madonna is certainly not wanting to age gracefully and is being compared to Pete Burns:

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

20 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

The timing isn't coincidental. The NY Times released an obituary last night which actually contained a date of death (something that was missing from his Soul Tracks "obit"). Easier for the British press to wait on a more reputable U.S. media outlet to do all the research for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The timing isn't coincidental. The NY Times released an obituary last night which actually contained a date of death (something that was missing from his Soul Tracks "obit"). Easier for the British press to wait on a more reputable U.S. media outlet to do all the research for them.

Particularly as the Sun’s obit is written by a foreign news reporter (Rather than showbiz one) who likely regularly checks the NYT for stories.

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

If the US media could report on Floyd Sneed that’ll be appreciated. Him getting basically nothing here is absolutely stunning 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

Steve Sostak, the saxophonist and vocalist for Chicago-based indie/experimental projects such as Sweep The Leg Johnny, Check Engine, and ZZZZ, has died. He was 49.

https://www.stereogum.com/2213119/steve-sostak-sweep-the-leg-johnny-zzzz-dead/

Zzzzz indeed.

• Shocked 1

Barrie Corbett, aka Barry Corbett, British musician and songwriter whose main success was in Europe as part of the duo Barry And Eileen with If You Go, reportedly dead: https://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/tribute-to-harrogate-music-legend-who-has-died-after-decades-of-hits-with-the-smurfs-and-appearing-with-the-beatles-4018649

Wrote choons for The Smurfs after Father Abraham went his own way to produce songs separately from the cartoon series.

Warning - excess of cheese follows:

• Like 1

On 21/01/2022 at 20:44, msc said:

1934 – Tom Springfield, Chas McDevitt, Peter Dickinson, Geoffrey Grey, Sir Harrison Birtwistle, Marilyn Horne, Huey “Piano” Smith, Frankie Valli, Pat Boone, Dave Grusin, Sir Roger Norrington, Barron Anthony, Vince Hill, Ray Walker, Nana Mouskouri

Huey "Piano" Smith reportedly dead: https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/new-orleans-rock-n-roll-pioneer-huey-piano-smith-dies/article_1a451915-0f9f-5e14-a98d-c1372185dc62.html

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

American R&B singer Chuck Jackson (Wiki) reportedly dead aged 85.

Had namechecked him in the Bacharach obit a couple of weeks ago as he was one of the earliest beneficiaries of Bacharach's songwriting!

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Mentioned over a decade ago, but it's being reported that Stateside songstress Bettye Swann has died: https://www.soultracks.com/story-bettye-swann-dies

Topped the US R &B charts and made #21 in the Billboard Hot 100 in 1967 with Make Me Yours:

Never picked for the DDP afaik.

Being denied all over Facebook, including from Kent Records, her family/friends. Seems a similarly/same named woman in North Carolina has died and some confusion has arisen.

Pretty irresponsible of Soul Tracks to do that write up as even they speculate in their article as to whether she's actually dead...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Being denied all over Facebook, including from Kent Records, her family/friends. Seems a similarly/same named woman in North Carolina has died and some confusion has arisen.

Pretty irresponsible of Soul Tracks to do that write up as even they speculate in their article as to whether she's actually dead...

Well, I did say "reported" - always my get out. :lol:

In the words of Frank Spencer, MMM Bettye!!

• Like 1

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Well, I did say "reported" - always my get out. :lol:

In the words of Frank Spencer, MMM Bettye!!

Interestingly, it seems the real Bettye Swan has been ill for over a decade...

Ron Altbach, known as a co-founder of the band King Harvest and for his work writing and producing with the Beach Boys, reportedly died on Monday:

• Like 1

Just an addendum, but it's always worth mentioning that "Dancing In The Moonlight" is probably the only top 10 single ever written about recovering from your wounds after being attacked during an actual terrorist incident where eight American tourists were shot dead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 20/02/2023 at 16:03, Summer in Transylvania said:

American R&B singer Chuck Jackson (Wiki) reportedly dead aged 85.

Guardian obit.

7 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Just an addendum, but it's always worth mentioning that "Dancing In The Moonlight" is probably the only top 10 single ever written about recovering from your wounds after being attacked during an actual terrorist incident where eight American tourists were shot dead.

So, the line about "chocolate stains on my pants" is because he shat himself in the face of mass deaths, oh wait a minute...my bad!

• Like 1