maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

7 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Just an addendum, but it's always worth mentioning that "Dancing In The Moonlight" is probably the only top 10 single ever written about recovering from your wounds after being attacked during an actual terrorist incident where eight American tourists were shot dead.

Oh? Could’ve sworn there was a Now! That’s What I Call Daydreaming About A Peaceful World After Having The Piss Beaten Out Of Me By Thugs Who Did An Island Massacre compilation album.

On 11/06/2022 at 06:44, gcreptile said:

He's now been diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt-syndrome, which has paralyzed half of his face:

https://news.sky.com/story/justin-bieber-struck-by-ramsay-hunt-syndrome-with-half-of-his-face-left-paralysed-12631695

Hm, my boss had something similar once, after he came back from a holiday. Back then, he said nobody knew what it was. It disappeared after a week, but apparently less than half of the people with it recover completely. 

Justin Bieber cancels the rest of his tour because of his illness:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-celebrity-news/justin-bieber-officially-cancels-rest-29340150

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Justin Bieber cancels the rest of his tour because of his illness:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-celebrity-news/justin-bieber-officially-cancels-rest-29340150

Not sure if mentioned in this thread but he also sold his music rights for $200 million recently. He is only 29.

On 05/11/2022 at 15:53, mollyafox said:

Aaron Carter dead at age 34 (Didn't realize he had his own thread until after posting)

His mother releases photos of the bathroom where he died.  Investigation said a simple overdose; mum in denial thinks foul play.

Steve Mackey report in The Guardian

6 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

The first Britpop era death?

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Richey Edwards is probably among the first, if not THE first.

37 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

The first Britpop era death?

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Doesn't the Charlatans' alumni page resemble a Ypres war memorial? As well as the drummers from Lush and Space.

EDIT: or if you want pure, 100% unarguable "this is Britpop and not a vaguely associated indie genre of the 90s", the guitarist from Northern Uproar was hit by a truck in 2014.

36 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

Richey Edwards is probably among the first, if not THE first.

11 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Doesn't the Charlatans' alumni page resemble a Ypres war memorial? As well as the drummers from Lush and Space.

EDIT: or if you want pure, 100% unarguable "this is Britpop and not a vaguely associated indie genre of the 90s", the guitarist from Northern Uproar was hit by a truck in 2014.

If we're going to be that broad we may as well include Tony Ogden from proto-Britpop band World of Twist who died in 2006.

Jon Lee of Feeder killed himself in 2002.

Stuart Cable of Stereophonics died from alcohol abuse related reasons in 2010.

As SC alluded to, 3 Britpop era members of the Charlatans are dead (though one was a touring member only).

The guitarist of The Supernaturals died last year.

The La's lost a former member last year also, though he was a member in the late 80s (pre-Britpop era).

I think that's everyone.

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

As SC alluded to, 3 Britpop era members of the Charlatans are dead (though one was a touring member only).

The La's lost a former member last year also, though he was a member in the late 80s (pre-Britpop era).

I think that's everyone.

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I think that's everyone.

Chris Acland of Lush died in 1996.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

The list wasn't that long, but you've clearly got a short term memory darling! 

Just listening back to a bunch of Pulp songs this afternoon. I used to love them. Got to be honest though, a lot of it is absolute shite. It hasn't dated well, though granted it was very good in its time.

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The list wasn't that long, but you've clearly got a short term memory darling! 

Well if you can remember the 90s, you weren't there as they said. About the 60s!

This is Hardcore is their best album IMO.

10 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Just listening back to a bunch of Pulp songs this afternoon. I used to love them. Got to be honest though, a lot of it is absolute shite. It hasn't dated well, though granted it was very good in its time.

Going to see them at Scarborough in summer - still love most of it. Different Class is probably my favourite album of all time (Eels Beautiful Freak and Pink Floyd Dark Side vying for top spot).

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Having seen them live they have the nicest bunch of fans you'll ever mingle with - I think some of their stuff, notably the signing off album We Love Life a bit underrated. 

Possibly not the ideal thread, but one of Barnes & (Roly Poly Fish Heads) Barnes has left the building.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/robert-haimer-barnes-barnes-fish-heads-co-creator-has-died/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cn73Wtem0No&t=150s

Huh, I can't even post a YouTube link properly today. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Possibly not the ideal thread, but one of Barnes & (Roly Poly Fish Heads) Barnes has left the building.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/robert-haimer-barnes-barnes-fish-heads-co-creator-has-died/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cn73Wtem0No&t=150s

Huh, I can't even post a YouTube link properly today. 

Noooo!

(pretty sure I’ve posted in ‘What are you listening to’ thread once.)

The other Barnes is the lad who played young Will Robinson on List In Space - Bill Mumy.

Anyway this news sucks.  RIP.

• Like 2