maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Dunno where else to post this, the pop star in question is still with us but had a bit of a minor revelation this week about his best known work which I thought I might share here, apart from owt else he's 78 soon and his position by birth, more than his fleeting musical career, likely makes him a q/o certainty. 

Anyway, ripped from my own social media: 

So, here's a thing. The online home of musical oddities hosted by Mr Weird and Wacky celebrated this hit recently (mainly it has to be said because of dodgy cover art on a couple of international editions). Led me to Googling Dundas to see what else he'd done. Turns out he's genuine aristocracy "Lord" David and son of the 3rd Marquess etc. Anyway, that puts a different slant on the whole caper. If you hear it as "blue genes" the hit is little short of blue bloods sticking together "I need to have you near me" as they stick it to the proles and the verse about motorbike riding comes over as a celebration of doing what you want, when you want, heedless of cost whilst the rest of us labour to heat our homes and eat. Just thought I'd, like, share that:

That’s a bit of a reach. He might have been posh, but he was happy slumming it with the late 60s ‘Withnail’ Camden drama school crowd (even though his folks owned the house they all inhabited). Writing the C4 ident music is probably less of a gravy train than Noddy’s Xmas royalties, I’d have thought.

Didn’t the advert jingle predate the song anyway? He then changed it from Brutus to blue for obvious reasons when rewriting it for chart action, no?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Writing the C4 ident music is probably less of a gravy train than Noddy’s Xmas royalties, I’d have thought.

Back in the Eighties it brought him something like £1000 a week in royalties from being played on TV multiple times every day.

11 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Back in the Eighties it brought him something like £1000 a week in royalties from being played on TV multiple times every day.

Well, internet folklore says so, agreed. But who knows. There's a TLDR about the case deriving from it, for masochists with time to kill.

3 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

So that kind of money would be about eight or nine times the average income around then, before he lifted a finger to do anything else.

4 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

If only Channel 4 had chosen Philip Johnson to write their theme tune, it could all have been so different.

Too weird.

I had a look at the case decision. Interesting to see that the plaintiff was Dave Lawson, formerly of Greenslade. From progressive rock to jingles.

On 10/05/2023 at 10:23, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I know she had a cursory mention elsewhere, but farewell to singer/activist/rock star/actor/author/presenter/most things Rita Lee, a name that means a lot more in Latin America than in the Western world.

Bat Macumba ê ê, Bat 

[...]
Macumba obá

Getting a facepalm from the forum’s biggest bellend is a badge of honour.

Really sad about Rita Lee.  Os Mutantes were a very great band in their own special way.

Nothing like a bit of experimental Brazilian psychedelia to brighten up a dull afternoon.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2023 at 16:56, Paul Bearer said:

S club 6 now?

Just S Club, as Hannah Spearritt also pulls out of the reunion:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/read-this/s-club-7-reunion-group-rebrands-as-s-club-as-hannah-spearritt-pulls-out-following-paul-cattermole-death-4142243

• Like 1

Seven little S Clubbers back to their old tricks,

One was found dead at home, then there were six,

Six little S Clubbers planning to play live,

One pulled out unexpectedly, then there were five....

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Seven little S Clubbers back to their old tricks,

One was found dead at home, then there were six,

Six little S Clubbers planning to play live,

One pulled out unexpectedly, then there were five....

Yanks never heard of this regional noise

That once was the home of four girls and three boys

Even after one left and one went to heaven

Americans still ask, ‘who the fuck’s S Club 7?’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dead Wait said:

Cause of death for Paul Cattermole revealed as natural causes…..scary stuff!
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/22397730/paul-cattermole-cause-death-s-club-7-aged-46/

That's not a cause of death though. It's a category.  Cause of death might be heart attack, stroke, that sort of thing.

However ....

" Dorset Police, who found his body, claimed their enquiries remain “ongoing”. "

Strange.

• Like 1

Clickbait innit.

On 28/09/2022 at 15:22, Perhaps said:

Come Monday singer Jimmy Buffett (wiki) postpones the rest of his tour due to a unspecified illness and a 'brief hospitalisation'.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jimmy-buffett-tour-cancels-dates-for-year-citing-health-issues-and-brief-hospitalization/

Jimmy Buffett has postponed his upcoming concert in Charleston, South Carolina after being hospitalized for an undisclosed medical issue.

https://www.facebook.com/jimmybuffett/posts/pfbid02yXRPSvy3JXWZBKWVqNMtGKkhW3Q1AhhCTsxrn1cdCs4Eu5vfF9wtDQ1Gsd9pr6cul

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Andy Rourke of The Smiths dead. Pancreatic cancer.

Guardian obit

• Like 4
  • Sad 9

37 minutes ago, msc said:

Guardian obit

One of the worst and most overrated bands of the 1980s imo.

And god has spared the insufferable Morrissey, but why? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, msc said:

Guardian obit

I was listening to The Smiths about an hour ago, perhaps right at the moment he passed.

24 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

The Smiths are dying in the wrong order. Sort of.

Morrissey should have gone first then I take it :D

Easy to look back now but how thin/frail he was end of last year when playing with Marr:

2 hours ago, msc said:

Guardian obit

Wrong Andy, wrong 80s band! I have to say, The Smiths weren't my listening fodder back in the day.

Andy Rourke is a surprising miss for my TOTP Theme Team - Sheila Take A Bow reached #10 in 1987. Here's the stream of consciousness:

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

One of the worst and most overrated bands of the 1980s imo.

And god has spared the insufferable Morrissey, but why? 

Totally disagree with the overrated bit and they were a force of nature live because of the way they bonded with crowds. Any real assessment of why they mattered goes beyond the music to the fact they were a strident voice (and not just Morrissey) when Thatcher ruled apparently unchallenged and unstoppable and - though it's highly subjective - they were as funny as fuck, though it's a kind of grim northern funny that underpins shows like Shameless. Think I've mentioned this before but I'd say the South Bank Show nailed something vital about The Smiths when one of the first clips they showed in the show on the band was George Formby in action.

• Like 5

Wow! Didn't see that coming although Rourke was a junkie in the 1980s. Made The Smiths surprisingly funky. RIP.

• Like 1