maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Another dying doo wopper. Harvey Fuqua, founder and former lead singer of long forgotten vocal group The Moonglows, is gravely ill in a Detroit hospital.

Beat me to it Spade, was just logging on to report that one. I LOVED sone of his stuff, notably the the Ghettology album from 1979, under-appreciated reggae classic if ever such a thing existed. His date of birth would suggest he was a mere 23 when he wrote and recorded that deep-thinking gem of a collection. I wonder.....

Just a few months after the death of singer and guitarist Alex Chilton, Big Star's orginal bassist Andy Hummel is reported to have died at the age of 59.

Melvin Bliss, an obscure 70s soul singer who, through cratedigging, found one of his b-sides ("Synthetic Substitution") become one of the most sampled rap breaks of all time, furnishing beats for the Wu, 2Pac, Public Enemy and Run DMC, has died aged 75.

Derf Scratch, original bassist with pioneering American speedcore punk band Fear, has died after a long illness. The video contained within the obituary is, leaving aside the music, well worth watching - a classic case of punks inciting their audience to riot.

Robert Wilson

Oops! The bassist and member of the Gap Band with his 2 older brothers, founder members Charlie and Ronnie, has died of a massive heart attack at the age of 53.

Mac Tontoh

Trumpeter and founder member of Ghanaian-Caribbean popsters Osibisa, one of the first African bands to experience UK chart success, has died. He can be seen

(he'll be the one with the horns!) as they perform their signature hit "Sunshine Day". Smiling keyboard player and one time millionaire Kiki Djan died in tragic and impoverished circumstances in 2004, discovered there by his own sister and Tontoh in a church toliet having suffered for years with drug-related illnesses and Aids.

Michael Been of 80s band The Call, and lately sound engineer for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, has died of a heart attack while working at a festival in Belgium.

Kenny Edwards, a singer songwriter and guitarist with country rock band the Stone Poneys died on Wednesday aged 64. I never heard of the guy, but he did get a mention on the BBC Entertainment News, so I guess that makes him a celeb of sorts... :crossbone:

Michael Been of 80s band The Call, and lately sound engineer for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, has died of a heart attack while working at a festival in Belgium.

Looks like the Pukklepop musical festival may turn into an essential scouting trip for deadpoolers, as less than 24 hours after Mr Breen's death, Charles Haddon, lead singer of tipped synthpop act Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, has committed suicide following his band's performance.

Looks like the Pukklepop musical festival may turn into an essential scouting trip for deadpoolers, as less than 24 hours after Mr Breen's death, Charles Haddon, lead singer of tipped synthpop act Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, has committed suicide following his band's performance.

Oh the senseless waste. They hadn't even been played on Skins or in the montage at the start of Hollyoaks yet.

He must have missed the top G in that cover of some Orlando song.

KIDS PLAYING THE DEAD CELEBRITY PUN GAME AT HOME: Simply translate the name of anywhere you could expect to find dead people (coffin, mausoleum, coroners, Clapton) into French, replace the word "swimming pool" with it, and then place the altered bandname between "morelike" and "amirite".

KIDS PLAYING THE DEAD CELEBRITY PUN GAME AT HOME: Simply translate the name of anywhere you could expect to find dead people (coffin, mausoleum, coroners, Clapton) into French, replace the word "swimming pool" with it, and then place the altered bandname between "morelike" and "amirite".

292s8oy.png

Mike Edwards

"A founding member of the band the Electric Light Orchestra was killed when a giant bale of hay tumbled down a hill and crashed onto his van in the UK. Cellist Mike Edwards died after the 600kg bale rolled out of a steep Devonshire field, smashed through a hedge and onto the road"

He was killed on the third day of September. That came out of the blue! Should we add him to the roll over bale toll, then?

Guest copycat
Mike Edwards

"A founding member of the band the Electric Light Orchestra was killed when a giant bale of hay tumbled down a hill and crashed onto his van in the UK. Cellist Mike Edwards died after the 600kg bale rolled out of a steep Devonshire field, smashed through a hedge and onto the road"

He was killed on the third day of September. That came out of the blue! Should we add him to the roll over bale toll, then?

Keep up, VSBfromH!

Mike Edwards

Keep up, VSBfromH!

Hangs head in shame. Well, I thought the puns were worth it!

Mike Edwards

Keep up, VSBfromH!

That's a real hero's death! even by this board's high standard. Out of a Roadrunner cartoon. I hope I go like that. Only while driving on the M25 at 7.30am. That way I can balls up everyone's commute to work

Mike Edwards

Keep up, VSBfromH!

That's a real hero's death! even by this board's high standard. Out of a Roadrunner cartoon. I hope I go like that. Only while driving on the M25 at 7.30am. That way I can balls up everyone's commute to work

That'd be the final straw.

Mike Edwards

Keep up, VSBfromH!

That'd be the final straw.

He should have baled out of the van before it hit him.

• Like 1