maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

Oh good. I'm sure Edie Brickell will be pleased with him being home a lot more now.

You may have that reversed; may have been why Paul stayed on the road for 76 years, so he wouldn't have to be stuck at home with that nagging beatnik.
SC

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

You may have that reversed; may have been why Paul stayed on the road for 76 years, so he wouldn't have to be stuck at home with that nagging beatnik.
SC

Edie is only 51, so she wouldn't have had much bearing on the first 25 years 

3 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Edie is only 51, so she wouldn't have had much bearing on the first 25 years 

She's not aware of too many things, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

NONE fit that bill exactly as I can recall though quite a few - notably Lemmy - died with dates still in the diary (they just hadn't announced those tours as the end of anything)

Didn't John Wetton also die with dates still booked? Can't remember

8 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

A quick question given the recent announcements by Elton John and Paul Simon. Anyone know how many other pop stars have headed out all hale and hearty and buoyant on their Official Last World Tour and never managed to get to the end of it alive? None spring to mind personally.

Michael Jackson didn't even start it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

A quick question given the recent announcements by Elton John and Paul Simon. Anyone know how many other pop stars have headed out all hale and hearty and buoyant on their Official Last World Tour and never managed to get to the end of it alive? None spring to mind personally.

Tom Petty's 40th Anniversary tour wasn't supposed to to be a farewell tour, and he did technically get to the end of it alive, so, no I can't think of anyone either.

• Thanks 1

David Gest was getting ready for the David Gest is Not Dead tour when he died.

On 2/2/2018 at 12:15, YoungWillz said:

Not sure of the source however, it is being reported that Dennis Edwards formerly of The Temptations has died: https://www.hip-hopvibe.com/2018/02/02/dennis-edwards-former-lead-singer-of-the-temptations-has-died-at-75-years-old-twitter-mourns-his-death-ripdennisedwards/

Chicago police were investigating an allegation of domestic abuse filed just weeks before former Temptations lead singer Dennis Edwards died.

Edwards, 74, died Thursday night at Mercy Hospital. He had been ill for months. He suffered a stroke last year in St. Louis, and had come to Chicago for rehab.

Police said it’s unclear if Edwards’ death was connected to a domestic violence allegation filed last month. The report was filed on Jan. 8, and alleged Edwards was the victim of domestic violence in December.  CBS 2 Investigator Brad Edwards obtained the order of protection that alleges Edwards’ wife, Brenda, tried to suffocate him by holding his head facedown on a bed.
SC

Eddie & The Hot Rods are also calling it a day

4 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Eddie & The Hot Rods are also calling it a day

National obit chances if you happen to be their current drummer?

Barry Manilow seems to be on a farewell tour (dates in London in September, should you feel so inclined). He was also on a farewell tour in 2015. Many more farewell tours and he could keel over during one of them.

17 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

National obit chances if you happen to be their current drummer?

They've had the same drummer for almost the last 20 years. Unless the Caney Island Echo is classed as National news, I doubt it. Perhaps an inclusion in NME.

Death by death metal – Polish guitarist Marcin Walenczykowski dead at 37.

Roger Whittaker (Does anyone in the UK even know him?) must have been on more farewell tours than "standard" ones.

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

They've had the same drummer for almost the last 20 years. Unless the Caney Island Echo is classed as National news, I doubt it. Perhaps an inclusion in NME.

Oh, okay - but some of the current line up are recent recruits - oddly they were sharing a guitarist with one if the current line ups of Wishbone Ash in the last few years.

35 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Roger Whittaker (Does anyone in the UK even know him?) must have been on more farewell tours than "standard" ones.

He's been doing The Last Farewell since 1971.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh, okay - but some of the current line up are recent recruits - oddly they were sharing a guitarist with one if the current line ups of Wishbone Ash in the last few years.

Richard Holgarth is the newest recruit. 

He took over from.Dave Higgs.

Holgarth was the co-owner of The Square in Harlow until that closed down last year. Holgarth still produces and plays guitar for John Otway.

22 hours ago, Phantom said:

Richard Holgarth is the newest recruit. 

He took over from.Dave Higgs.

Holgarth was the co-owner of The Square in Harlow until that closed down last year. Holgarth still produces and plays guitar for John Otway.

Respect bro - you're clearly a real fan. I've simply enjoyed two or three of their gigs over the years. Good band with a few pints inside you IMHO

8 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Respect bro - you're clearly a real fan. I've simply enjoyed two or three of their gigs over the years. Good band with a few pints inside you IMHO

I've known Richard for the past 25 years. Roadied for him and Otway a couple of times when their roadie, Brian broke his leg. 

• Thanks 1

Vic Damone, dead at 89.

Three teams selected him in the DDP