maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

11 hours ago, Deathray said:

Sorrry but they pretty clearly cared about their image in the Sex Pistols days. They didn't buy those clothes in the charity shop.

Image result for sex pistols 1977

very carefully marketed by Malcolm McLaren of course.They were the 1970s version of Little Mix !

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

very carefully marketed by Malcolm McLaren of course.They were the 1970s version of Little Mix !

Re McLaren's marketing "genius." He said so, the band - notably Lydon - begged to differ and the photo above pretty much explains it. McLaren's view of punk often involved reviving some elements of the teddy boy rock 'n' roll fashion he loved and claiming in retrospect that disasters - like shambolic gigs, Bill Grundy interview etc. - were moments of anarchy he had masterminded. Either way, they fell apart after one blistering album and made the most money they'd ever seen with revival gigs 20 years after the first wave - for which McLaren was nowhere in sight.

Jon Savage's book England's Dreaming is worth a read btw

• Like 1

Can we talk about John Deacon? He has basically stepped aside from all Queen related things and let Brian May and Roger Taylor do what they want with his conditional blessing. There was no hint of illness or acrimony just someone who has enough money to live how he wants to for his remaining days which could be anywhere between 4 and 40 years. 

From a deadpooling point of view he is either going to be a massive risk or a massive miss. Will he be invited to the Premiere of Bohemian Rhapsody? If he doesn't go I do not know when he will next get publicity.

31 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Can we talk about John Deacon? He has basically stepped aside from all Queen related things and let Brian May and Roger Taylor do what they want with his conditional blessing. There was no hint of illness or acrimony just someone who has enough money to live how he wants to for his remaining days which could be anywhere between 4 and 40 years. 

From a deadpooling point of view he is either going to be a massive risk or a massive miss. Will he be invited to the Premiere of Bohemian Rhapsody? If he doesn't go I do not know when he will next get publicity.

He is pretty much in the same vein as The Hollies Bernie Calvert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Can we talk about John Deacon?

No.  What next, Bernie Calvert?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

He is pretty much in the same vein as The Hollies Bernie Calvert.

I'm pretty sure he's battled depression and the distance from the reunion was partly not needing any cash (they had great management and accountants - Deacon's the poorest but still worth around £70miilion) and partly because he didn't want to put himself through the whole public spectacle. 

As I understand this he's nowhere near the meltdown/life threatening levels of problem that a few other notably low profile rockers - for example, ex Uriah Heep/Ozzy drummer Lee Kerslake -  have hit. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

I'm pretty sure he's battled depression and the distance from the reunion was partly not needing any cash (they had great management and accountants - Deacon's the poorest but still worth around £70miilion) and partly because he didn't want to put himself through the whole public spectacle. 

As I understand this he's nowhere near the meltdown/life threatening levels of problem that a few other notably low profile rockers - for example, ex Uriah Heep/Ozzy drummer Lee Kerslake -  have hit. 

Deacon himself was key in ensuring that the band did not get ripped off. I just worry he might do a Lewis Collins on us one day.

19 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Deacon himself was key in ensuring that the band did not get ripped off. I just worry he might do a Lewis Collins on us one day.

We could - like - spy on him, though I think once you're over the fence it's about a three mile walk to his mansion

Might just hang out in Lee Kerslake's local instead.

• Like 2

Just heard that Wanda Jackson suffered a stroke a couple of weeks again. Apparently she is on the mend.

BBC announce that Chas Hodges has died. RIP.

First hit for my TOTP team. Happy birthday to me...not!

• Sad 1

Suppose I should stick up their 1982 #2 hit, Ain't No Pleasing You:

23 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Gercha!

Chas Hodges dead.

Bah, beaten to it. Sad news. An extremely talented man and hugely underrated as a musician. RIP.

How the F did twitter beat BBC by 12 mintues?

Well wait the O.P. a lie.  My link was 8 minutes old and the first link from Twitter 20 minutes.  

Chas's death just BLEW THE LID off of something huge lol.  Maybe UK and Int'l get two different links?  lol.  

Another national treasure gone.  :(

• Like 2

Probably uncool to admit it, but I always quite liked Chas and Dave for what they were. RIP.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2018 at 23:21, Clorox Bleachman said:

Chas and Dave, however, looked like they were about to drop dead on the spot (which is what anyone who bears witness to their snoozefests wishes they could do).

Fuckin called it!

He looked absolutely terrible (Dave didn't look much better tbf) but I didn't expect his death to be so soon.

Not been the year for double acts - Cannon and Ball and Little and Large should probably watch out.

Possibly the biggest death in British pop music since John Lennon ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, msc said:

Probably uncool to admit it, but I always quite liked Chas and Dave for what they were. RIP.

No it's cool to.

Too much musical snobbery out there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

No it's cool to.

Too much musical snobbery out there.

Any band or musician in the world could have one song somewhere I like if I found it. That's my philosophy.

Of course,  many many bands really push that to breaking point... :lol:

Why are you all so upset about a old no name dying. He's music sounds like the stuff they play in retirement homes.

10 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Why are you all so upset about a old no name dying. He's music sounds like the stuff they play in retirement homes.

Have you seen them live? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

I may not have ever heard of him before I joined the forums, but I recognize that he clearly has an impact on music in the UK...

• Like 1