maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Phoebe Snow, the singer-songwriter who was known for "Poetry Man", has died from complications following a stroke at the age of 58.
  • Like 1

I shall dig out the vinyl of 'Germ Free Adolescents' later I think...

RIP Poly...

Germ Free Adolescents is the greatest punk album of all, bar none. Every song (and the singles) an absolute classic in its own right, and the lyrics still so relevant 30+ years later.

RIP Poly - a true original :shoot2:

RIP Poly...

Germ Free Adolescents is the greatest punk album of all, bar none. Every song (and the singles) an absolute classic in its own right, and the lyrics still so relevant 30+ years later.

RIP Poly - a true original :shoot2:

I wouldn't go as far as that. It's certainly one of the best. One should never make a definitive statement as what is the best of such and such genre. Indeed it could be described as a post-punk album as the tone shifts towards open ways of expression, more than in attitude than in music (although the sax also does this musically)...

RIP Poly...

RIP Poly - a true original :lol:

I wouldn't go as far as that. It's certainly one of the best. One should never make a definitive statement as what is the best of such and such genre. Indeed it could be described as a post-punk album as the tone shifts towards open ways of expression, more than in attitude than in music (although the sax also does this musically)...

*is tempted to put something about the sax on 'Suburban Relapse' and 'Switch' and therefore whether Siouxsie And The Banshees' "The Scream" can be described as post-punk, but can't really be bothered* ... :lol:

I can see Poly Styrene being my "most missed" of 2011 :lol:

RIP Poly...

RIP Poly - a true original :lol:

*is tempted to put something about the sax on 'Suburban Relapse' and 'Switch' and therefore whether Siouxsie And The Banshees' "The Scream" can be described as post-punk, but can't really be bothered* ... :lol:

I can see Poly Styrene being my "most missed" of 2011 :lol:

Actually, I've heard a few people say that Siouxsie could be post-punk, especially the early years.

Band manager and record producer Jim Dickson has died at the age of 80. He was involved with The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers and Gram Parsons. :banghead:

On a positive note for them, and negative note for deadpoolers, Duke Fakir of the Four Tops and Otis Williams of The Temptations are being interviewed on radio as I type this. They sound fairly lively and still up for a decent gig. Touring with The Three Degrees and Drifters. Might be a night out for DL form studying.

Drifters manager Faye Treadwell, one of the first African-American female managers in show business, has died aged 84.

Andrew Gold has apparently passed away from a heart attack. Doesn't seem to be an obit as yet however.

Andrew Gold has apparently passed away from a heart attack. Doesn't seem to be an obit as yet however.

I've heard that as well. I guess he slipped away. I hope you thanked him for being a friend.

I've heard that as well. I guess he slipped away. I hope you thanked him for being a friend.

Your obit. Had a heart attack, he didn't re-cov-er.

Your obit. Had a heart attack, he didn't re-cov-er.

He did say he was a little bit dizzy.

Gordon Lorenz

Prepare for a major national outpouring of grief at the news that the man who wrote and produced one of the seminal UK Christmas No.1s is off to be reunited with his own Grandma.

According to his Wikipedia entry, he produced over 800 albums, which is believed to be a world record. Artistes he worked with include Larry Adler, Shirley Bassey, Max Boyce, Charlotte Church, Claudia Ciesla, Petula Clark, John Dankworth, Ken Dodd, Richard Fleeshman, Gloria Gaynor, George Hamilton IV, Ruthie Henshall, Paul Jones, Howard Keel, Atomic Kitten, DL fave Joe Longthorne, Lorna Luft, Humphrey Lyttleton, George Melly, Anthony Newley, Cliff Richard, David Soul, Claire Sweeney, Bill Tarmey, Marti Webb, Roger Whittaker and Toyah Wilcox.

In my case there's no-one quite as dead as grandma..apart from Gordon Lorenz maybe.. :)

Former Showaddywaddy singer Bill 'Buddy' Gask, has died aged 64 following a long illness.

Showaddywaddy website tribute.

Six feet under the moon of love...

Apropos of nothing - I used to fancy Dave Bartram when I was a kid. He's still nice now, though I prefer him with his Seventies long hair.

Did a search, couldn't find anything on DL. But Nick Curran's cancer has returned, he's postponed his tour to undergo treatment

Blues Brothers trumpeter Mr. Fabulous has died aged 68.

I could have sworn he was picked for the DDP, but no...

Seth Putnam, frontman of light-hearted politically correct novelty combo Anal Cunt, has died of a heart attack aged 43 after years of poor health.

Listened to a quick sampling of their lyrical treasures. Have to say, I'm a fan of "311 Sucks".

Seth Putnam, frontman of light-hearted politically correct novelty combo Anal Cunt, has died of a heart attack aged 43 after years of poor health.

Listened to a quick sampling of their lyrical treasures. Have to say, I'm a fan of "311 Sucks".

Seth's death will leaving a gaping chasm in the grindgore scene. He had a voice to sink a thousand ships. I'm currently listening to their inexplicably overlooked gem "I Ate Your Horse", a shocking omission from this thread.

Seth's death will leaving a gaping chasm in the grindgore scene. He had a voice to sink a thousand ships. I'm currently listening to their inexplicably overlooked gem "I Ate Your Horse", a shocking omission from this thread.

I Sent A Thank You Card To The Stroke That Killed You

• Like 1