maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Ralph Tavares of the hit group Tavares with hits in the 70s and 80s has died: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-ralph-tavares-dead-heaven-25652863

He was 80 and as early as 1984 had left the band.

UK #4 November 1976 - Don't Take Away The Music (here doing their Pearly Kings and Queens outfits)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Ralph Tavares of the hit group Tavares with hits in the 70s and 80s has died: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-ralph-tavares-dead-heaven-25652863

He was 80 and as early as 1984 had left the band.

UK #4 November 1976 - Don't Take Away The Music (here doing their Pearly Kings and Queens outfits)

He was replaced by obdurate Somerset opening batsman Chris Tavare, who looked fabulous in a gold lamé cape and purple sequinned loons. 

• Haha 1

Steve Bronski of Bronski Beat dead at 61

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Here is good also.

I'm still trying to remain upbeat. Think I'll search for a karaoke version of

• Like 2

Here is good also.

I'm still trying to remain upbeat. Think I'll search for a karaoke version of

Sorry for your loss and sadness Will.

It's always tough when people who were on and around the scene you were involved in as a younger pass away. It feels like a part of your history and younger years has died too.

I take it you used to be a veteran of the polo lounge and Bennetts ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Sorry for your loss and sadness Will.

It's always tough when people who were on and around the scene you were involved in as a younger pass away. It feels like a part of your history and younger years has died too.

I take it you used to be a veteran of the polo lounge and Bennetts ?

I'm just old enough to remember Vintners and my first bar Squires.

Glasgow's heyday was Club X on Royal Exchange Square - I still remember the best nights out there, killed essentially by the city centre curfew brought in mid-90s. There were also the waterfront bar The Drawing Room and the club Panama Jax where I'd often bump into Steve Bronski. I know this probably makes me out to be a complete alchoholic, but this was over an extended period of time!! My clubbing days are long gone, but there's still the occasional afternoon in town. Only a few local celebs I know now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm just old enough to remember Vintners and my first bar Squires.

Glasgow's heyday was Club X on Royal Exchange Square - I still remember the best nights out there, killed essentially by the city centre curfew brought in mid-90s. There were also the waterfront bar The Drawing Room and the club Panama Jax where I'd often bump into Steve Bronski. I know this probably makes me out to be a complete alchoholic, but this was over an extended period of time!! My clubbing days are long gone, but there's still the occasional afternoon in town. Only a few local celebs I know now.

Ooh you do go way back! I have  a lot of experience of the gay scene in Liverpool,  Glasgow and Edinburgh  but some of those names are  way out of my  timeliness of experience!

I have an older Glasgow born friend in his sixties who is always full of tales about the gay scene and always happy to share so I will ask him about those venues!!

I've also sampled  often in the past The Underground and speakeasy  just a stones throw away from Glasgow councils  city chambers/headquarters.  Saw the disgraced ex leader of Glasgow City Council drinking in The Underground  around  2012- Steven Purcell and he was definitely keeping some dodgy company a few years after his fall from grace.

I also remember seeing the BBC weatherman  Matt Taylor in Delemonicas  before he was out out in around 2008 2009 and he was propping up a polar in the bar ongoing a group of men in their twenties stood a little distance away from him and watching them lift their t-shirts up, dance and grind sexily,  hug and generally move around animatedly and showing each other  affection.

Matt observing all this from a distance looked like he'd died and gone to heaven.  Fully flyshed, grinning , full of excitement and looked like he was having some happy feelings down below and seemed like he was on the verge of an orgasm but trying not to show it!!

Oh the tales I could tell from all of the gay scenes in the UK I have experienced!

My older  friend always insists it was better in the seventies and eighties and dating apps changed the scene for the worse.

• Like 1

Chris Jericho(51) The Lead singer of the band Fozzy has been hospitalized.  He is a bit chunky in recent years so it might be serious

Everyone is "devastated", of course.

2 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Chris Jericho(51) The Lead singer of the band Fozzy has been hospitalized.  He is a bit chunky in recent years so it might be serious

He might be just slllllightly more well known as a wrestler

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

He might be just slllllightly more well known as a wrestler

I honestly thought they were different people, had no idea he was part of band 

On 01/05/2015 at 15:06, YoungWillz said:

Otis Williams, Little Richard and Smokey Robinson all seem ok too...but you never know.

Or it could just be Nick Kamen from another Levis commercial.

Otis Williams, the last surviving original member of The Temptations, just wrote a tribute piece for Mary Wilson in The Guardian.

He's 80 and seems to be doing great. Not worth considering for 2022 IMO.

• Like 2

Probably a post for Willz to skip over.

Steve Bronski's cause of death revealed by friends to have been a house fire, as he had been incapacitated by a stroke in 2018 and was unable to escape. Poor sod.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 4

24 minutes ago, msc said:

Steve Bronski's cause of death revealed by friends to have been a house fire, as he had been incapacitated by a stroke in 2018 and was unable to escape. Poor sod.

Horrible way to die. 

20 hours ago, msc said:

20 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Horrible way to die. 

Enuff said above. Steve Bronski gets a full Telegraph Obit, the first full obit I have seen: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2021/12/14/steve-bronski-keyboardist-bronski-beat-trio-created-landmark/

Sometimes it's better not to know the cause of death. As the year moves on, this is a year I will not forget.

34 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Enuff said above. Steve Bronski gets a full Telegraph Obit, the first full obit I have seen: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2021/12/14/steve-bronski-keyboardist-bronski-beat-trio-created-landmark/

Sometimes it's better not to know the cause of death. As the year moves on, this is a year I will not forget.

I did say skip the post! I was tempted to spoiler tag it but that would have brought more attention to it. Sorry for your loss, genuinely.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, msc said:

I tell you what, that would have been funny if it was the cause of death of former Sex Pistol Paul COOK, or Robert BROWNING, or Elizabeth FRY...

I'll get me coat!

• Like 1

On 11/02/2018 at 10:31, YoungWillz said:

And the O'Jays plan to take the Love Train to retirement by 2020: https://www.soultracks.com/story-ojays-retirement

Former member of the O'Jays found out to be the victim of a cold case homicide. Frank “Frankie” Little Jr., a guitarist and songwriter in the 1960's. Remains had been found in 1982, identified almost 40 years later.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/12/14/remains-recovered-1982-twinsburg-identified-decades-later-guitarist-band-ojays/

• Like 3

Better known in the US, Joe Simon, R & B Singer reportedly dead: https://www.billboard.com/music/rb-hip-hop/joe-simon-dead-1235010357/

Bit of a discrepancy in ages between Wiki and the report however the songs are the same. EDIT: According to Twitter he died on 13 December (report from daughter).

@Ulitzer95, he did however make one indent in the UK Chart with Step By Step, reaching #14 in July 1973:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Better known in the US, Joe Simon, R & B Singer reportedly dead: https://www.billboard.com/music/rb-hip-hop/joe-simon-dead-1235010357/

Bit of a discrepancy in ages between Wiki and the report however the songs are the same. EDIT: According to Twitter he died on 13 December (report from daughter).

@Ulitzer95, he did however make one indent in the UK Chart with Step By Step, reaching #14 in July 1973:

If he died one day later he would've died on the 10th anniversary of Captain America co-creator Joe Simon's death.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Toronto musician Ian Worang, known for his work in bands like Uncut and Bishop Morocco, has died. The details surrounding his passing haven't been publicly announced, but a GoFundMe campaign has been set up to pay for funeral costs.

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/ian_worang_of_toronto_bands_uncut_and_bishop_morocco_has_died