maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Engelbert Humperdinck has pulled out of his big BBC gig tonight with respiratory problems. Imminent death unlikely. DL monitoring a distinct possibility from here on.

Former Earth Wind & Fire and Friends of Distinction singer Jessica Cleaves has died.

If she's going to be cremated then Fire, Wind and Earth may be a more logical order :)

Larry Ramos of the New Christy Minstrels and the Association has died aged 70.

He's front & centre, above.

Guest Guest

What about Debbie Harry of Blondie fame , such a shame :(

article-2561584-1B94DE7100000578-436_634x867.jpg

just seen her on Newsnight- she's just a year younger than my mum but what a MILF ! Admit it- you would wouldn't you!

just seen her on Newsnight- she's just a year younger than my mum but what a MILF ! Admit it- you would wouldn't you!

She is a complete enigma. The picture on the BBC website looks terrible but for a woman of her age the picture above is good.

I saw her picture of her with Lily Allen and wondered whether she would outlive Lily. I wouldn't want to call that one.

Nah, I prefer DILFS!

Decided to a do a little research into chart toppers (singles) in the UK to see who's still around (80+) and made an interesting find.

Sally Sweetland had a UK no. 1 in 1953, duetting on a song called "I'm Walking Behind You" with Eddie Fisher.

Well, she's still alive aged 103, making her the oldest living UK chart topper... http://www.recordgaz...9c7bbe7405.html

Here's the list (including featured singers and composers):

Sally Sweetland (b. 1911)

Dame Vera Lynn (b. 1917)

Ray Charles (b. 1918)

Sir Jimmy Young (b. 1921)

Doris Day (b. 1922)

Kitty Kallen (b. 1922)

Kay Starr (b. 1922)

Charles Aznavour (b. 1924)
Jane Morgan (b. 1924)

Tony Bennett (b. 1926)

Chuck Berry (b. 1926)

Harry Belafonte (b. 1927)

Ken Dodd (b. 1927)

Vic Damone (b. 1928)

Windsor Davies (b. 1930)

Rolf Harris (b. 1930)

Tab Hunter (b. 1931)

Petula Clark (b. 1932)

Des O'Connor (b. 1932)

J. J. Barrie (b. 1933)

Pat Boone (b. 1934)

Only person I can't find any info on is a composer called Jerry Carr. Presumably he's dead.

Decided to a do a little research into chart toppers (singles) in the UK to see who's still around (80+) and made an interesting find.

Sally Sweetland had a UK no. 1 in 1953, duetting on a song called "I'm Walking Behind You" with Eddie Fisher.

Well, she's still alive aged 103, making her the oldest living UK chart topper... http://www.recordgaz...9c7bbe7405.html

Dame Vera Lynn (b. 1917)

Ray Charles (b. 1918)

Jane Morgan (b. 1920)

Doris Day (b. 1922)

Kitty Kallen (b. 1922)

Kay Starr (b. 1922)

Tony Bennett (b. 1926)

Chuck Berry (b. 1926)

Ken Dodd (b. 1927)

Vic Damone (b. 1928)

Windsor Davies (b. 1930)

Rolf Harris (b. 1930)

Tab Hunter (b. 1931)

Petula Clark (b. 1932)

Des O'Connor (b. 1932)

J. J. Barrie (b. 1933)

Pat Boone (b. 1934)

Only person I can't find any info on is a composer called Jerry Carr. Presumably he's dead.

Um..., Ray Charles died, like 10 or so years ago. :/
  • Like 1

Dame Vera Lynn (b. 1917)

Ray Charles (b. 1918)

Jane Morgan (b. 1920)

Doris Day (b. 1922)

Kitty Kallen (b. 1922)

Kay Starr (b. 1922)

Tony Bennett (b. 1926)

Chuck Berry (b. 1926)

Ken Dodd (b. 1927)

Vic Damone (b. 1928)

Windsor Davies (b. 1930)

Rolf Harris (b. 1930)

Tab Hunter (b. 1931)

Petula Clark (b. 1932)

Des O'Connor (b. 1932)

J. J. Barrie (b. 1933)

Pat Boone (b. 1934)

Um..., Ray Charles died, like 10 or so years ago. :/

It's not THE Ray Charles, it's Ray Charles the composer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Charles_%28composer%29#Singles

I don't know which UK-No.1 he had composed, but maybe it's all about him being a part of The Perry Como Singers (which can be heard on Perry Comos No.1-hits I guess).

Guest Guest

Your ability to read straight off of the Recent Deaths page on Wikipedia never ceases to amaze me... :rolleyes:

Come on, be honest.Am I the only person on deathlist who does that? :huh:

Jerry Vale's death should probably be posted in the Hollywood thread, because he's a lot better known to anyone under the age of 75 for his roles in Scorsese mob flicks than he is for a few twinkle-eyed songs back in the 50s.

Dame Vera Lynn (b. 1917)

Ray Charles (b. 1918)

Jane Morgan (b. 1920)

Doris Day (b. 1922)

Kitty Kallen (b. 1922)

Kay Starr (b. 1922)

Tony Bennett (b. 1926)

Chuck Berry (b. 1926)

Ken Dodd (b. 1927)

Vic Damone (b. 1928)

Windsor Davies (b. 1930)

Rolf Harris (b. 1930)

Tab Hunter (b. 1931)

Petula Clark (b. 1932)

Des O'Connor (b. 1932)

J. J. Barrie (b. 1933)

Pat Boone (b. 1934)

Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson (not exactly in the first flush of youth when they represented the UK in the 1959 Eurovision) are, I'm fairly sure, still with us.

• Like 1

Huff Post seem to be taking Sum 41's Deryk Whibley at face value when he commits to battling the causes of his liver problems and near-death hospitalisation.

I'm thinking, he's well worth a watch and assured obit material if he falls badly off the wagon in the next few years: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/29/sum-41-singer-deryck-whibley-alcoholism_n_5409381.html?ncid=webmail2

Huff Post seem to be taking Sum 41's Deryk Whibley at face value when he commits to battling the causes of his liver problems and near-death hospitalisation.

I'm thinking, he's well worth a watch and assured obit material if he falls badly off the wagon in the next few years: http://www.huffingto...l?ncid=webmail2

I thought liked his drinks in proportion?

His mom should have had an abortion, bortion, bortion, bortion.

We seriously need a separate thread for rock stars. I will make one soon when I can be arsed.

People like Deryk Whibley are a lot different from most of the pop singers mentioned here. And they tend to lead more dodgy lifestyles.

And personally I like hearing about rock stars a lot more than I like hearing about the latter type and I'm sure others do as well so I shouldn't have to click this to find news about rockers and such like, only to find posts about Someeuropeanwoman McOncewasoneurovisionorsomethingdoyourememberhertheonewiththetasslesandnowshe'sdeadandshedoesn'tevenhaveaproperqualifyingobittocomfortherassheliestherestaringattheroofofthecoffinlol. (p.s. not trying to diss anyone who is into those people, just saying..... they're different.)