maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Is this a good time to same David Bowie is overrated

It's always a good time to say that when I'm looking in, though I'm careful not to mention it in the presence of one of my friends who changed her name to Bowie (seriously).

Agreed, he's another one that in a career spanning what feels like 140 years he's averaged about one good song and one shit film per decade.

Ah the "David Bowie is shit" brigade, alive and well and still thinking they're cooler than the rest...

It's always a good time to say that when I'm looking in, though I'm careful not to mention it in the presence of one of my friends who changed her name to Bowie (seriously).

First or last name?

[O]ne of my friends [...] changed her name to Bowie (seriously).

First or last name?

Both?

Agreed, he's another one that in a career spanning what feels like 140 years he's averaged about one good song and one shit film per decade.

Ah the "David Bowie is shit" brigade, alive and well and still thinking they're cooler than the rest...

I love Olly Murs, so would hardly consider myself 'cooler than the rest' (although, thinking about it, I am pretty fucking awesome) - I just think David Bowie is at least 75% less fantastic than his legendary status would suggest. As are AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rod Stewart, and probably 100 others that I can't think of right now.

My own personal view is that David Bowie is overrated by his fans, underrated by the rest...

I wouldn't know an Olly Murs tune if you hummed it to me, but that's pop music in all it's multi-coloured wonder.

First or last name?

Both?

Last name only, it's a she after all, so David might have been a step too far. Re the comment above about dissing Bowie being an indication of persons deluded to thinking themselves cooler than the rest, I'm not sure that's what it's about for me. More a case of thinking some of his stuff the audio equivalent of the Emperor's new clothes. Nor disputing the genius stuff - Hunky Dory, Low, Ziggy, at a stretch Let's Dance - for a second. But shite Bowie (all of Tin Machine, Tonight) is stuff that wouldn't have got a deal had it been a demo tape from a bunch of unknowns, decent sounds in search of some focus and vision IMHO. So, I love the fact he's out there and that an audience support an artist who's crashing and burning is compelling in its own way. Just not convinced:

a - His best moments justify him being elevated above the likes of Neil Young or Todd Rundgren as a genuine genius.

b - Anyone actually listens intently to his failures and believes them to have any lasting merit.

Rant over

Bowie is probably best described as inconsistent for every Ashes to Ashes, Life on Mars or Lets Dance there is something like Absolute Beginners or some unlistenable to pretention that failed to trouble the top 40.

However there is the mighty triumph that is Labyrinth.

Bowie is my favorite musician. The 1971-1980 decade is almost without flaw. Just like everyone of the really big superstars, his career probably lasted a bit longer than it should have, but I still occasionally find something that interests me in the new stuff. And thankfully, he had a decade-long break from 2004 to 2014 which probably spared us some forgettable material.

New York DJ Ben Deitz, founding member of the DJ club collective Trouble & Bass has died:

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/38407/20150512/ben-deitz-trouble-bass-member-math-head-passions-died.htm

It's the second shock to the New York electronic music scene after Fool's Gold Records founder Dust La Rock died earleir this year at 38.

First or last name?

Both?

Last name only, it's a she after all, so David might have been a step too far. Re the comment above about dissing Bowie being an indication of persons deluded to thinking themselves cooler than the rest, I'm not sure that's what it's about for me. More a case of thinking some of his stuff the audio equivalent of the Emperor's new clothes. Nor disputing the genius stuff - Hunky Dory, Low, Ziggy, at a stretch Let's Dance - for a second. But shite Bowie (all of Tin Machine, Tonight) is stuff that wouldn't have got a deal had it been a demo tape from a bunch of unknowns, decent sounds in search of some focus and vision IMHO. So, I love the fact he's out there and that an audience support an artist who's crashing and burning is compelling in its own way. Just not convinced:

a - His best moments justify him being elevated above the likes of Neil Young or Todd Rundgren as a genuine genius.

b - Anyone actually listens intently to his failures and believes them to have any lasting merit.

Rant over

Well I was thinking perhaps they had changed their first name to Bowie, although that might be bordering a bit too far in the stalker realm of things. But then again I know someone who changed their last name to Danzig...

First or last name?

Both?

Last name only, it's a she after all, so David might have been a step too far.

Well I was thinking perhaps they had changed their first name to Bowie, although that might be bordering a bit too far in the stalker realm of things. But then again I know someone who changed their last name to Danzig...

With my question I meant she might have changed her name to Bowie Bowie. Not pretty, but it would show real commitment.

In the Netherlands name changes are rare. The law allows a change of family name in specific cases only: adoption, getting the name of a stepparent or when the old name is a source of ridicule. A family name change is done by Royal Order, so the Minister of Justice has to approve. The process lasts about half a year. Changing a given name is easier, but only for a good reason and a court of law has to approve the application.

First or last name?

Both?

With my question I meant she might have changed her name to Bowie Bowie. Not pretty, but it would show real commitment.

In the Netherlands name changes are rare. The law allows a change of family name in specific cases only: adoption, getting the name of a stepparent or when the old name is a source of ridicule. A family name change is done by Royal Order, so the Minister of Justice has to approve. The process lasts about half a year. Changing a given name is easier, but only for a good reason and a court of law has to approve the application.

Bowie named his own son Zowie Bowie. Today he is known as Duncan Jones, director of 'Moon', 'Source Code' and the upcoming World of Warcraft-movie. Of course, Bowie named himself Bowie, since his birth name, Davy Jones, was already "occupied" by a member of the Monkees.

First or last name?

Both?

There's actually a simmering argument in the UK about the very low cost of name changing and whether it's bringing on too many frivolities. There was a really good joke in Viz comic a few years back where somebody pointed out that the cheapest way to get a personalised name plate on your car was to spend a few quid and change your name to BG77UTT, or whatever.

• Like 2

First or last name?

Both?

There's actually a simmering argument in the UK about the very low cost of name changing and whether it's bringing on too many frivolities. There was a really good joke in Viz comic a few years back where somebody pointed out that the cheapest way to get a personalised name plate on your car was to spend a few quid and change your name to BG77UTT, or whatever.

That'll be this one

Save money on expensive personalised car number plates by simply changing your name to match your existing plate. - Mr. KVL 741Y,

Changing your name here is very easy and cheap - I did it when I got divorced and wanted a new surname but didn't want to revert to my maiden name, so I picked a random surname - it was only about 30 quid, which does indeed then encourage fuckwads to change their name to Bumhole McGinty (hmm, might keep that one for after my next divorce).

• Like 2

Changing your name here is very easy and cheap - I did it when I got divorced and wanted a new surname but didn't want to revert to my maiden name, so I picked a random surname - it was only about 30 quid, which does indeed then encourage fuckwads to change their name to Bumhole McGinty (hmm, might keep that one for after my next divorce).

I remember speaking to a lady who wished to inform my place of work that she had changed her name. Fair enough I thought, asking her for her previous name, so I could find her records. When she told me she used to be known as Sarah Shufflebottom, I understood why she may have wanted a new start. I then asked her what her new name was...to which she proudly replied: "Susan Shufflebottom"

• Like 6

I remember speaking to a lady who wished to inform my place of work that she had changed her name. Fair enough I thought, asking her for her previous name, so I could find her records. When she told me she used to be known as Sarah Shufflebottom, I understood why she may have wanted a new start. I then asked her what her new name was...to which she proudly replied: "Susan Shufflebottom"

Are you my dad? He always used to tell a 'funny' joke about the Irishman named Paddy Horsemuck that changed his name to Seamus.

Bazaar is quite an unusual name. Were you a fan of Dollar? :evil2:

• Like 1

I'm with you. As soon as the separation agreement was signed I changed back to my birth name at no cost to me. My two banks gave me a hard time and wanted me to do a legal name change that is not required. After the fight with the first bank I didn't have it in me for the second so I closed the account.

I've known two people recently that changed their name. Showing remarkable lack of imagination, both chose 'Smith'.

I've known two people recently that changed their name. Showing remarkable lack of imagination, both chose 'Smith'.

Really? What sort of boring dullard would choose to change their name to Smith? Oh, wait.......

• Like 3

Really? What sort of boring dullard would choose to change their name to Smith? Oh, wait.......

Someone called Jones?

Take your pick:

Maxine Carr

Mary Bell

John Venables

Robert Thompson

Ed Miliband

• Like 2

BBC news just announced death of Ben E King. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32547474

2 DDP teams stand by their decision to pick him.

Fun Fact: Percy Sledge and Ben E King both had their songs used for Levi commercials:

If death comes in threes, than which other 60s soul legend is going to die soon? How is Al Green doing? (Apparently, fine.) Or Sly Stone?

Otis Williams, Little Richard and Smokey Robinson all seem ok too...but you never know.

Or it could just be Nick Kamen from another Levis commercial.

or B.B. King he's also had a song used for a Levi's commercial too
Phantom gets the Nostradamus award!!
  • Like 2