maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Guest Guest

Fred Wedlock is no longer the oldest swinger in town

Sorry to go all obscure (yet again ;) ), but I cannot let the passing of Ted Bluechel Jr go unmentioned. He was drummer and vocalist with Californian sixties band The Association. I'm a fan of their work and happen to think they were a bit under rated. Ted hasn't even got a proper obituary, but his death was announced in the New York Times paid death notices section.

I'm hoping a learned DL music fan like HMBWA, ATJ or MPFC might know who The Association were. I'm suffering from obscure death posting anxiety.15.gif

Obscure death posting time again. Lolly Vasquez aka Lolly Vegas, co-founder of arguably the world's most famous Native American rock band Redbone, has gone to the great wigwam in the sky. They had a big US hit in 1974 with Come and Get Your Love, but the song I most associate with them is

Sad, but not entirely surprised, to report the suicide of Sparklehorse's Mark Linkous.

No-o-o-o-!!!!!

I f***in' love Sparklehorse, I do, got all the albums - seriously. V sad indeed, though - as you say - not a total surprise.

On a positive note for them, and negative note for deadpoolers, Duke Fakir of the Four Tops and Otis Williams of The Temptations are being interviewed on radio as I type this. They sound fairly lively and still up for a decent gig. Touring with The Three Degrees and Drifters. Might be a night out for DL form studying.

Singer and guitarist Alex Chilton, formally of sixties band The Box Tops, now has a box bottom and box sides!

Singer and guitarist Alex Chilton, formally of sixties band The Box Tops, now has a box bottom and box sides!

Never mind that, he was the singer and guitarist of Big Star in the 1970s, which is ironic because they were a cult band. I have to admit I not heard

any of their stuff but they were very well rated...

Is it time for my Alex Chilton anecdote? Not much of one, really - I secured some pot for him at the 1993 Reading Festival. I saw the reconstituted Big Star three times, one of which was great and the others pretty disappointing. All three albums are great, though. :rolleyes:

Big Star were awesome, their first album is a power-pop classic, Big Star and Sparklehorse biting the dust within weeks of each other.

This is VERY bad.

Is it time for my Alex Chilton anecdote? Not much of one, really - I secured some pot for him at the 1993 Reading Festival. I saw the reconstituted Big Star three times, one of which was great and the others pretty disappointing. All three albums are great, though. :rolleyes:

I probably saw you at one of those gigs then as I did all the 1993 UK dates (purely for the support, Magnapop). The only one that was a bit dull was the London Grand (?) where me and a friend ended up in the pub over the road chatting to 3/4 of Madder Rose about the Michael Jackson paedo news that had just broken.

I probably saw you at one of those gigs then as I did all the 1993 UK dates (purely for the support, Magnapop). The only one that was a bit dull was the London Grand (?) where me and a friend ended up in the pub over the road chatting to 3/4 of Madder Rose about the Michael Jackson paedo news that had just broken.

I only saw them once in '93, with TFC helping out. The other times were with the Posies backing him and Jody, at LA2 in 2001 and the Astoria in 2008. The middle one was the only time Alex seemed to be into it and the sound was almost as good as the records.

Magnapop and Madder Rose, now there's some names from the past ... you didn't see Luna at the Camden Underworld in early '92, by any chance? Fine support band, I seem to remember. :grave:

Big Star were awesome, their first album is a power-pop classic, Big Star and Sparklehorse biting the dust within weeks of each other.

This is VERY bad.

Yes. Fans of Jeff Mangum must be sweating...

Peter Steele

The frontman of the New York gothic / doom / thrash metal band "Type O Negative" has died of heart failure aged 48.

I've never heard of them personally, but his death seems to be creating quite a bit of news. Apparently he was reported to have died once before in 2005. Their last album was ironically entitled "Dead Again"!

He was a perennial favourite amongst the mosher girls during my teenager years, although probably more for the claims that he was the best hung man in music rather than through his, frankly dire, music.

Paul Weller does a Ronnie Wood or Bill Whyman, is this gonna end in tears, or what?

Paul Weller does a Ronnie Wood or Bill Whyman, is this gonna end in tears, or what?

Of course it is, he's a prick. I went through a stage of thinking he was a genius, and in fact I do still like The Jam, however as he's got older he's become more of an arrogant, massive-ego-ed chump. With ridiculous hair.

Of course it is, he's a prick. I went through a stage of thinking he was a genius, and in fact I do still like The Jam, however as he's got older he's become more of an arrogant, massive-ego-ed chump. With ridiculous hair.

Never really rated him. Going Underground, Eton Rifles are great singles but the Jam were never as good as the Pistols or the Clash or the Smiths...

Every rose has its thorn, if by "rose" you mean "brain stem" and "thorn" you mean "critical bleeding". Bret Michaels in intensive care with brain haemorrhage.

Every rose has its thorn, if by "rose" you mean "brain stem" and "thorn" you mean "critical bleeding". Bret Michaels in intensive care with brain haemorrhage.

'scuse me but who's Bret Michaels?

Frontman for 80s hair metallers Poison, best known for lighters-in-the-air power ballad "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". Michaels himself also known to the hip young kids of today for his "Rock of Love" reality TV dating show, in which he sleeps with strippers and that's it.

His official website just reports an appendectomy. Although, I'm surprised a CAT scan was required for appendicitis symproms.... :rolleyes:

Frontman for 80s hair metallers Poison, best known for lighters-in-the-air power ballad "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". Michaels himself also known to the hip young kids of today for his "Rock of Love" reality TV dating show, in which he sleeps with strippers and that's it.

Ahhhh. So its only you who's heard of him. I'm a Deep Purple sort of guy. Any news on ian gillan?

Nope he's not the only one, not only have I heard of Bret Michaels I've seen him live, performing with Poison, great gig if my memory serves me correctly. While 'Every Rose' is the song that the band are most remembered for, power ballad - it appealed to the masses, in my opinion it's not their best. I loved 'I Want Action', 'Fallen Angel', 'Your Mama Don't Dance' and ' Look What the Cat Dragged in' I could go on, but the ultimate song of theirs (to me) is this, takes me back to the summer of 1987, it was a staple on the turntables of rock DJ's back then, we were young and thought we knew everything, happy days :rolleyes: .

As for Ian Gillan the most recent article I could find was this one, filing it under 'things I really didn't need to know.....'

Ahhhh. So its only you who's heard of him. I'm a Deep Purple sort of guy. Any news on ian gillan?

I've heard of him, in fact quite ridiculously I used to be a fan. Didn't he fuck Pamela Anderson and film it before Tommy Lee did?

• Like 1