http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/t...dio/3735795.stm

or less optomistically in the Telegraph

Cancer-stricken Dibnah starts his 'farewell tour'

By Nigel Bunyan

(Filed: 21/05/2004)

Fred Dibnah, the steeplejack who became a television personality, spoke yesterday of his fight against cancer as he set out on what he fears will be a farewell tour.

Dibnah, 66, has rejected a new course of chemotherapy in favour of climbing on board his 1912 traction engine and driving around the nation in search of engineering masterpieces.

"While I'm still vertical and active, I am going to keep going," he said. "It feels great to be back on the road again, and I am going to really enjoy this tour."

Recalling the onset of his illness, he said: "I woke up with a terrible pain in my belly.

"I put up with it for one night so as not to worry the wife, but the next night it came back with a vengeance so she took me to the hospital at about four in the morning. They gave me an X-ray, told me I was constipated and packed me off home with some medicine.

"But the pain came back and I had to go and have my kidney taken out. I went home after that operation thinking everything was going to be okay. But about a week and a half later the doctor rang me up and told me to come to the hospital.

"They had found a tumor in my kidney and thought it may have spread - and they were right. I was told I had 12 months to live, but that I might get a little longer if I had some chemotherapy."

That was three years ago. Dibnah, a father-of-three, who lives in his native Bolton with his third wife, Sheila, was eventually given the all-clear.

But once again the cancer returned, attacking his bladder and bowel. A second operation followed which failed to prevent the cancer from spreading. Having had yet another course of chemotherapy, the veteran of 25 television documentaries decided to seek no further medication.

"I am stabilised," he said. "I eat lots of oranges and drink lots of Guinness and I feel great. But who knows what will happen? I'm going to keep on fighting it and enjoying myself while I still have the chance."

For the next three months his home will be the traditional-style caravan he is towing behind his newly-restored Aveling & Porter steam tractor.

His latest 12-part television series, due to be shown on BBC2 later in the year, has the working title Made in Britain.

Dibnah intends it to be a celebration of the best of steam engineering in such diverse locations as the Lake District, Scotland, Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Shropshire, Cheshire and finally Bolton.

In a final gesture, he hopes to drive to Buckingham Palace on his steam tractor to collect his MBE from the Queen.

Almost a dead cert for next year's list !

If he manages to last that long.

Now i must admit that i'm a Fred Dibdah fan, the guy is good at explaining Historical things mybe i'd of got a A grade GCSE at School instead of a F Grade if he'd been my History teacher, but i would consider him for the list next year, if he make the year out?

If he does croak it then his beloved traction engines with go rusty, not much call for steam vehicles these days.

And the steeples.

he did smoke like a chimney. lol.

Good work from Lil Sis. I think it's great when a new celeb gets forum space. It would seem that the report of his cancer has only just been made public is a bit of a half truth though. See link below.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/lancashi...TOPNEWS0ZM.html

I think his neighbours will be glad when he runs out of steam - perhaps they could bury him in his mineshaft in the back garden - Here Lies Fred Dibnah - 60ft Under Ground!

DWB :(

Guest stan
:(:D the last laugh may be on you the idiot Ronald Reagan may outlast you and then if your life isnt right he may have the last laugh you coulld end up in a very hot climate, beware the time could be near. have a good day.

And then again he may not, and I/we may not, and a warm climate maybe be nice for a while, and the time may not even be near. And etc.

Couldn't you even be arsed to out this under the Reagan thread ??

there's a Reagan thread?

The serial ranters are great, so if any of them happen to read this please keep the nonsense coming in. Maybe we could devise a scoring system - one point for each spelling mistake, another for wishing ill upon us all, and perhaps a sliding scale with a maximum of ten depending on how far off topic they stray. The Beckham v. Ronaldo one only gets a 9 as it didn't go into who has the worst haircut.

Speaking of wandering off topic....

Maybe we could devise a scoring system - one point for each spelling mistake, another for wishing ill upon us all, and perhaps a sliding scale with a maximum of ten depending on how far off topic they stray.

Good idea! Also, how about one point for each gratuitous insult hurled at the DL team - you're sick/immature/should be shot/need to get out more/probably suffered abuse as a child etc etc. Juan Kerz on the Stephen Hawking thread would be well into double figures.

Guest sweepstake-anyone?

Saw Fred on the road in Leeds, a couple of weeks ago. We waved and cheered him on and then thought, miserable git, when he ignored us.

Maybe his kidneys were giving him some gype.

My bet is on a spring death in Spring 2005

Ok all,

Fred gets his MBE today so he will be on the news tonight. Lets study him closely.

Does he look pale has he lost weight. You know the sort of signs.

We will have to wait and see.

:pop:

Full Steam Ahead after Palace Date

Looks like Fred managed to get to Buck Palace safe and well, and received his MBE. Of special interest to DL members may be the tail end of the article

Dibnah is currently making Made In Britain for the BBC in which he visits industrial heritage sites in his traction engine.

He's fought a long battle against cancer but has kept working. "I'm not the man I used to be. My chimney climbing days are over. I've known for three years and people are always saying I don't look ill and I don't."

What's the betting there won't be a second series of the TV program?

...in 1 of his old series, we used to see a bloke in a blue overall with his back to the camera...that was ME ! yep, it's true...i was on the dole at the time...so i couldn't be recognised....just thought i'd mention it out of interest...nothing better to do blah blah blah...

I think DWB could be right.

I hear he's already been down to his local Crem in preparation - you should see that bloody chimney there now - he's re-pointed it and got rid of all the ashes that have clogged up the inside for years.

It's all in the detail.....

Guest Son Of Sam

I watched many of Mr Dibnah's programs thanks to Sky TV and while I found the gentleman's personality in many was irritating, I had to respect his knowledge and certainaly his bravery. One thing I could not understand is why he allowed his very pretty wife (#1 I think) to leave him, due to what seemed to be neglect. As I recall from the program, he refused to take the wife on holiday and so she and the kids went off on their own and on her return she demanded a divorce.

She was a gorgeous little thing. If I was Fred I would certainally have found better things to get up, than old chimneys! That aside, the man love him or hate him is certainally a character and another loose slate soon to be blown off what was once the roof of a great empire. I fear when Fred leaves us we will be another step closer to the United Kingdom of the politically correct, sexually neutral, and intellectually devoid non entities that we seem to be heading towards. You may not always agree with Fred but I would rather live on a diet of spicy food that sometimes upsets my stomach, than the bland gruel that symbolises Britain in 2004. Any one who wishes to draw attention to my lack of spelling ability, can go f**k themslves, unless you are Mrs Dibnah #1 then you can f**k me instead.

:)

Oh, Son of Sam, what a shame! I had you down for a ranter before I read your post. Then, I started reading and found myself nodding at some of your observations. But, it was ruined by the completely unneccessary comments at the end. Your spelling didn't strike me as at all bad, by the way!

DWB :)

Guest Son Of Sam

Sorry if I offended you DWB. Just my lust for the ex Mrs Dibnah getting out of hand (so to speak). I hope we get another year or two out of Fred, although I wouldn't want to live next door to him.. :)

The last I heard, he was digging some kind of pit-head in his back garden. I think I posted a news article about it earlier in the thread. That's OK if you live in Texas or Saudi, not so OK if you live in Lancashire. (I am presuming he still lives in that neck of the woods.)

DWB :)

Guest Son Of Sam

:)

Perhaps we could start a new thread entitled neibours from hell. Fred Dibnah, and Mr (Trebus?) from "Life of grime" spring to mind as initial candidates although it appears the former is soon to join the latter.

As a Lancashire lad I am desperate for the latest on Fred. Me and my mates at work are having a bit of a sweepstake on it. Any info would be apreciated.

As a fellow Lancastrian and Fred fan, I'm keeping an eye out for any news on his health, but haven't seen anything other than what's on this thread. Even his own website doesn't say anything about it:

http://www.fred-dibnah.co.uk

Deathlist.net - your one-stop shop for morbid news. :)

i thought he was dead already. another nail in the coffin of entertainment.

Fred not dead.

A bump to catch the eyes of recent posters.