Guest FREDFAN

Just read the comments about Fred Dibnah

I am saddened to see the disrespectful remarks that have been made about this very brave man.

He is one of the old original characters born out of Lancashire and I am proud to be able to say that I also hale from there.

It is a shame that you cannot put your so called 'remarks' to better use instead of slagging off a genuine and well loved character like Fred.

I would like to see some of you climb a 300 ft chimney without a safety rope or organize the demolition of an old mill to knowing where the last brick will fall.

Finally I would like to wish Fred the best of luck with his battle with cancer, and maybe those people with nothing better to do with their time would like to do the same!!!!

Thanks for your comments Fredfan - resisted over-ranting which is always a positive move. To be honest, I thought pretty much all the comments about Fred were reasonably respectful.

Anyway, I will put my "remarks" to better use - the verb Hail - "To report as one's home or the place from whence one comes; to come; -- with from." - not to be confused with - Hale :blink:

Nice one GR.

All heil the Reaper; grammar führer extraordinaire. :blink:

Unless it turns out that Fred &/or Fredfan actually hails from Hale, in which case it was a very clever play on words which passed GR by.

:blink:

[EDIT]

OK, Dibnah's from Bolton so that struck out.

Couldn't find Fredfan's birthplace on Google. Perhaps he'll come back & tell us...

OK Moosey... it did also occur to me that Fredfan might be some sort of weather system or cumulonimbus-type thing who occasionally throws down icy precipitate from above Lancashire... :blink:

and if that particular type of frozen water were to descend and make things cold and damp, a nice bed of hay'll ....oh, forget it

Guest Thrutcher

I've met Fred Dibnah, twice.

Si' thi

Guest Howard Dickman....

Sorry to hear of Fred's demise. I remember watching him in the 70's chucking bricks down from a huge chimney and talking to himself in between puffs.

He was the first reality tv celebrity that I remember although I could never see through his fascination with dirty steam engines.

RIP Fred....

:huh:

Given that Fred was not royalty, it is unlikely that we will see a set of photos from his funeral al la Queen Juliana or Princess Alice. :huh:

So, instead, we must make do with photos from his life.

I believe he's not going to be buried or cremated but stood up with explosive charges detonated round his ankles.

It's what he would have wanted

Guest Ajax

:huh: Anubis the Jackal: Some people mistakenly think that Fred ‘blows up chimneys!’. Not True. Fred has never and will never use dynamite. As usual, Fred prefers an old fashioned method of cutting a mouth out in the bottom of the chimney and propping the opening up with bits of telegraph poles and wooden chocks. Once enough of the chimney is propped up on wood he then sets light to a large fire, which burns the chocks away and the chimney then falls to earth in the designated direction. Not a precise science things do not always go to plan, it is a lot more precise than dynamite and has enabled Fred to be awarded jobs where dynamite would have caused too much damage.

Looks like you are ill informed M8

RIP Fred

Guest ringverse

R.I.P.

Guest Rik Martin

R.I.P Fred

Dibnah.jpg

Anubis the Jackal: Some people mistakenly think that Fred ‘blows up chimneys!’.  Not True...  Once enough of the chimney is propped up on wood he then sets light to a large fire, which burns the chocks away and the chimney then falls to earth in the designated direction...

Well that told you Anubis - I guess if you had been properly informed you would have said...

"I believe he's not going to be buried or cremated but propped up on wood, then set alight, which will burn the chocks away and then he'll fall into the earth in the designated hole

It's what he would have wanted."

Spend a bit more time on the UK Documentary channel please Anubis :huh:

Guest MB63

One of bolton's finest

True and honest gent

Guest LAZYSCRUT

:huh:

GOD BLESS FRED

Guest Mr.Ron

Poor old Fred still has one last chimney to climb, unless they bury him! :huh:

Guest Guest

Goodbye Fred!

Well I liked him, but he was a celebrity and is now dead. Which is the whole point of this forum. Wonder if he'll be buried in his own mineshaft?

Guest Thrutcher

Jesus christ, talk about bad timing.

I find this place, post something about him, then he dropped dead. I almost feel like I jinxed the guy.

The dude deserves respect, unlike a lot of people in the media, he was never conceited. Unless he was actually working, he would talk to anyone. I remember when I met him (going back to the mid 80's when he was knocking a chimney down in my town), I just walked up to him, and started talking to him, and found to my surprise that he started talking back, as though he knew me.