Ok, joke aside, they say it was a constant up and down, but now he's stable enough to go home. His initial hip surgery led to complications which required more surgery, including bowel surgery.

The final sentences are curious. "The doctors fought for weeks to get him to leave the hospital alive. Considering the circumstances, he's doing ok. But he's not healthy". It sounds a bit as if he wants to die at home. I guess they were surprised that he was in a worse general shape than they (and he himself) expected. They didn't expect that the initial hip surgery could go so bad. Who knows, maybe he doesn't even want to leave home during the next health crisis.

That is hardly a ringing endorsement of his health.When they say "considering the circumstances" one can only assume they are referring to the fact that he isn`t dead yet.Definitely a keeper for next year.

Ok, joke aside, they say it was a constant up and down, but now he's stable enough to go home. His initial hip surgery led to complications which required more surgery, including bowel surgery.

The final sentences are curious. "The doctors fought for weeks to get him to leave the hospital alive. Considering the circumstances, he's doing ok. But he's not healthy". It sounds a bit as if he wants to die at home. I guess they were surprised that he was in a worse general shape than they (and he himself) expected. They didn't expect that the initial hip surgery could go so bad. Who knows, maybe he doesn't even want to leave home during the next health crisis.

compilations can still happen. People could be on the road to recovery and then bam they're dead

compilations can still happen. People could be on the road to recovery and then bam they're dead

What, is someone gonna record a greatest hits album as a tribute?

• Like 2

What, is someone gonna record a greatest hits album as a tribute?

This Greatest Hits album already exists:

0090204645992.jpg

Guest Guest

I wonder if now that the other Helmut has died the younger Helmut will follow soon. Note that after waiting years for an Australian PM to die Gough Whitlams death was followed within a few months by the much younger Malcolm Fraser. These things tend to come in bunches

I wonder if now that the other Helmut has died the younger Helmut will follow soon. Note that after waiting years for an Australian PM to die Gough Whitlams death was followed within a few months by the much younger Malcolm Fraser. These things tend to come in bunches

Tend = 1 example

I missed it back then, but a week ago, Kohl left home for a trip the first time after his health crisis.:

http://www.bild.de/politik/inland/helmut-kohl/besucht-dom-43873634.bild.html(german link)

The photo is ...inconclusive: (the hands don't look too well, I guess?)

3,w=650,c=0.bild.jpg

I missed it back then, but a week ago, Kohl left home for a trip the first time after his health crisis.:

http://www.bild.de/politik/inland/helmut-kohl/besucht-dom-43873634.bild.html(german link)

3,w=650,c=0.bild.jpg

He looks like he has no idea where the hell he is and that shouting boo would finish him off!

• Like 2

3,w=650,c=0.bild.jpg

He looks like he has no idea where the hell he is and that shouting boo would finish him off!

Is he preparing to blow all the candles out?

• Like 4

Cripes. He looks like the Birdman of Hamlet or something, sitting there in that castle.

Oh well, still more chance of him seeing out 2016 than Britain's EU membership if you ask me!

Definately a keeper for next years list.He is one of the 2015 names I really hope is carried onto next years list along with Adulyadej,Phillips,Douglas,Havelange Gabor, Wouk ,Castro,Prince Phillip,LaMotta ,Crowe,Bush,Lynn and de Havilland.

Guest Guest

3,w=650,c=0.bild.jpg

Is he preparing to blow all the candles out?

he's clearly close to death. he will die in 2016 for sure. that photo confirms he must b e on the list

Helmut Kohl sues his former biographer for the (german) record sum of 5 million Euros:

http://www.welt.de/regionales/nrw/article152896124/Der-Geist-den-Helmut-Kohl-nicht-mehr-los-wird.html(german link)

The biographer (Heribert Schwan), however believes that it's the work of Kohl's second wife.

Helmut Kohl sues his former biographer for the (german) record sum of 5 million Euros:

http://www.welt.de/regionales/nrw/article152896124/Der-Geist-den-Helmut-Kohl-nicht-mehr-los-wird.html(german link)

The biographer (Heribert Schwan), however believes that it's the work of Kohl's second wife.

Probably the wife.

I don't think Helmut is that big of an asskohl.

What was in the biography that upset him so much? :D

I've not read it so I don't know but perhaps speculation that his wife's suicide was not down to her illness but Kohl's womanising.

Probably the wife.

I don't think Helmut is that big of an asskohl.

Au contraire, Helmut Kohl had a nasty streak. It could be him, but I think he's incapable of these decisions.

Probably family stuff. His first wife committed suicide because of her "Light allergy". Sunlight hurt her so she was forced to live in total darkness during the last years of her life. Armchair psychology says that she couldn't cope with her husband being always away, always in politics.

Also, both sons of Kohl are estranged from him. There were many dirty stories there as well.

Kohl was a ruthless man, a power politician. He didn't really care about policy, but about power, how to achieve it and to maintain or increase it. He has/had tons of enemies, like Heiner Geißler and Kurt Biedenkopf (if you care). Former federal president Richard Von Weizsäcker was a frenemy. He ruined Wolfgang Schäubles chances to succeed him during a donation scandal and was then famously let down by Angela Merkel, when everybody had enough of him.

According to his biographer, the ghostwriter Heribert Schwan, it's all about the fourth volume of Kohl's memoires in which will be written about a financial scandal within Kohl's party the CDU. This event abruptly knocked Kohl from his pedestal. Allegedly his second wife is behind this lawsuit. Furthermore Schwan issued an unauthorised book which the court says was not right. The court sides with Kohl.

86 Today! :birthday::wheelchair:

January 31: Weizsacker

November 10: Schmidt

March 18: Westerwelle

March 31: Genscher

German politician deaths becoming more frequent.

At this rate Kohl has a week left.

Guest Guest

happy 86th birthday. :birthday: there is a good chance it will be his last

Helmut Kohl received a visit by Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orban today:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/helmut-kohl-und-viktor-orban-meiden-harte-kritik-an-angela-merkel-a-1088037.html(german link)

He looks a bit better than before, but is still wheelchair-bound.

Helmut Kohl at his annual visit of the Speyer Cathedral:

http://www.bild.de/politik/inland/helmut-kohl/altkanzler-im-dom-zu-speyer-49430904.bild.html

Oh, until now, I didn't realize that his new wife was so much younger than him. A bit weird to see that sprightly middle aged lady besides the wheelchair-bound, frail old man. (But I know he has been a widower and not a divorcee, so I couldn't complain much.)

I'm not 100% sure that 2017 will be his year, but he doesn't look much better than Kirk Douglas, so he could make an OK DL-candidate.