maryportfuncity

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Read "Nobody hurt in Small Earthquake", the second part of Michael Green's autobiography recently. That's the chap who wrote "The Art of Coarse Rugby". Most of his stuff is out of print now, but well worth reading if you can get hold of it.

I wonder if he's still alive?

Guest Ships passing in the night
The current affair of 'Global Warming' has been advertised as the downfall of tomorrow. I feel the approach to this matter has been at a great speed and the real happenings of this global inconvenience are not right around the corner.

Society has been hypnotized.

Reason: Exaggeration from substantial figures.

Peace,

The Philosopher

The real happenings of this inconvenience are here today what with melting ice shelves, rising sea levels and increasing mean temperatures. However I place my faith in architecture. That's the future. There was once a poster who used to hang around these parts who was greatly respected. Some say he even owned this forum. He was a firm believer in architecture. He earnt his respect through poetry and well reasoned logic. We were jealous of his lifestyle, in disbelieving awe of his limo and of his ability to toss dwarves. It's a real shame you never got to meet him. I think you would have got on very well with his member.

What are you feelings on evolution? I think evolution may find a way round our wanten destruction of the planet. Perhaps we may regain our hairy skin to protect us from increased UVB and thus radical attacks. Perhaps we can retro-evolve into the common ancestor we share with modern day apes. What are your thoughts Mr Philosopher?

Was Derren Brown involved with hypnotizing society. It must have one big instrument to do that. Or was it Yuri Geller? I hear he is quite into bending spoons. Do you ever bend things? Like the truth perhaps?

Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace. Buddha (560-483 B.C.)

I think you would have got on very well with his member.

"Hmmm," nodded Herr Freud, as he wrote in his notebook.

The current affair of 'Global Warming' has been advertised as the downfall of tomorrow. I feel the approach to this matter has been at a great speed and the real happenings of this global inconvenience are not right around the corner.

Society has been hypnotized.

Reason: Exaggeration from substantial figures.

Peace,

The Philosopher

The real happenings of this inconvenience are here today what with melting ice shelves, rising sea levels and increasing mean temperatures. However I place my faith in architecture. That's the future. There was once a poster who used to hang around these parts who was greatly respected. Some say he even owned this forum. He was a firm believer in architecture. He earnt his respect through poetry and well reasoned logic. We were jealous of his lifestyle, in disbelieving awe of his limo and of his ability to toss dwarves. It's a real shame you never got to meet him. I think you would have got on very well with his member.

There's really only one thing to say here. pig_flying.gif

We were jealous of his lifestyle, in disbelieving awe of his limo and of his ability to toss dwarves. It's a real shame you never got to meet him. I think you would have got on very well with his member.

Thank you for being honest John. I'm back posting with a different attitude and I hope some members are willing to tolerate me after all this bullshit that has been going down for the last week or so. A positive quality I have is forgiveness, something like Jesus Christ only I was never hung on the cross and I can't turn water into wine.

A positive quality I have is forgiveness, something like Jesus Christ only I was never hung on the cross and I can't turn water into wine.

And humility, don't forget to tell everyone about that too, BS.

And being meek and unpretentious too, like this.

Shut the f**k up please Honez, do me a favor. Write a new book.

Or go hunting.

Don't try and bring me down.

You know what Honez, I apologize. Sorry about being so rude.

But I still think you should write a new book. I think you should write about something that makes people think.

Something that defies common logic but something that could very well be true.

But I still think you should write a new book. I think you should write about something that makes people think.

How about " Banshees Scream thinks he talks sense, but actually talks Bollocks."

It would be a nice short and concise book, about two lines on a bit of bog paper.

Shut the f**k up please Honez, do me a favor. Write a new book.

Or go hunting.

Don't try and bring me down.

Oh shut the f**k up Banshees, you whining little sh*t.

Didn't you retire?

Didn't you listen to the chorus of hurrahs? Didn't you get the message?

F**k off.

You know what Banshees?

I apologise. Sorry about being so rude.

We were jealous of his lifestyle, in disbelieving awe of his limo and of his ability to toss dwarves. It's a real shame you never got to meet him. I think you would have got on very well with his member.

Thank you for being honest John. I'm back posting with a different attitude and I hope some members are willing to tolerate me after all this bullshit that has been going down for the last week or so. A positive quality I have is forgiveness, something like Jesus Christ only I was never hung on the cross and I can't turn water into wine.

You mean you've cracked the loaves and fishes routine?

F**k off.

You know what Banshees?

I apologise. Sorry about being so rude.

I deserve it Honez, I deserve it this time.

You have every right to talk back, I'll be the first person to admit that I'm being a complete asshole.

I'm trying to be good unto one another and this does not set a good example.

I'm working on it.

I'll be the first person to admit that I'm being a complete asshole.

No, I think Windsor said you were a complete asshole a long time ago. And his thoughts seem to have been echoed by many of the rest of us too, particularly when you had your little hissy fit last week and flounced off the forum, never to return. The cheers and cries of relief echoed round these hallowed walls. So, you're probably the last to admit your complete asshole status. For once though, I think everyone reading that post will agree with something you've said. The first time in 4000+ posts. Keep up the good work, asshole.

Just finished reading Philip Roth's "The Plot Against America" (The Portnoy's Complaint chap. You know).

An excellent ripping bit of alternative history, couldn't put it down and all that.

Everyone should read it. Apart from Banshees Scream of course, who wouldn't understand it.

Everyone should read it. Apart from Banshees Scream of course, who wouldn't understand it.

I've never read 'The Plot Against America' but I'm sure it gives you the exact perspective of a Jewish individual in a time when everybody was saying 'f**k the Jews' and from a young person they are sitting back and saying 'something is happening here' but they just can't understand why people would hate them for just being what they are.

I would guess and 'with my hands up in the air' I might be wrong, but I would guess he exaggerates situations and the author overrates the abuse from society but again 'it's from his view point' if not personal experiences.

I guess you can say Michael Moore does the same thing in his films. If you have ever seen Fahrenheit 9/11 he has a scene where a bomb goes off near a play ground or something. I understand he was sharing his views, but he was sharing them in a way that was very exaggerated for the reason of others grasping his grip on the whole ordeal. The over exaggeration in entertainment or literature is actually what keeps people like Nap from putting the book down, so I guess it has it's place but from my view it would depend on the over exaggerated example given.

I don't dislike Jewish people Nap, I don't look down on any race. I might even be Jewish for all you know.

Your the guy who lives in Germany and you haven't even answered my question of why you live there.

I didn't say you had anything against the Jews, although sometimes I think thou dost protest too much on that point.

I simply said you wouldn't understand the book, a supposition reinforced by your post.

An alternative history can't be exaggerated because it is a work of fiction, not a statement of facts.

An alternative history can't be exaggerated because it is a work of fiction, not a statement of facts.

It is a fact people looked down on the Jews in the horizon of the 40's.

Hitler and his Nazi army killed thousands of Jews - Fact. The viewpoint of this character 'which I'm only guessing' sees it as many others Jews saw it at that time period.

JD Salinger wrote 'Catcher In The Rye' a book based on a mentally screwed up kid and it goes on. The significance in that book was Salinger highlighted a concept of human behavior which goes on in everyday life. The book 'The Plot Against America' is similar in the way of how 'the author' is underlining a fact of society in that particular time.

Both of those books 'for example' are promoting general perceptions as people see things in the world.

If your argument is 'it's not a fact that it was going on' it's not written as a 'fact' that's just ... like saying black people weren't looked down on before Martin Luther King, or that's like saying two hundred years ago women had the same opportunities as men. Bullshit.

Anyway there 'might be' some exaggeration in the book in order to get minds sold on the view he is advertising. I'm not saying that's a crime, but on subjects like these you might see that often.

Have recently read a no-nonsense and quite funny book on writing for a living; 'Wannabe A Writer' by Jane Wenham Jones. Website of the book.

There's rumours of a novel about West Cumbria coming out but nobody knows the title. Obviously, it'll be great whatever, might even mention the gay pub in Workington.

I'll keep yers posted if owt shows up.

Have recently read a no-nonsense and quite funny book on writing for a living; 'Wannabe A Writer' by Jane Wenham Jones. Website of the book.

There's rumours of a novel about West Cumbria coming out but nobody knows the title. Obviously, it'll be great whatever, might even mention the gay pub in Workington.

I'll keep yers posted if owt shows up.

I've heard of this book. I understand the title is: Horse in the chip shop.

I'm still struggling to find the said book. Horse in a Chip Shop would be a great title. This Workington novel was summat I overheard over a pre-match drink before we scored the first of our eight goals this week. Tapping 'Workington' into the amazon book search doesn't throw up a new novel. The frustrating thing is the book in question is supposed to mention football and my all time hero - Allan Ross AKA 'Alan Ross' - he played more games for Carlisle than anyone else and he ........

Coats on!

I thoroughly enjoyed A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore, nerdy Beta Male becomes a Death Merchant, having to retrieve objects containing the souls of the recently deceased while dealing with demons, 2 hellhounds called Alvin and Mohammed and a Chinese neighbour who can make a mean goldfish stir fry. Very funny. The hellhounds were the best:

"When Charlie arrived home from his mother's funeral, he was met at the door by two very large very enthusiastic canines, who , undistracted by keeping watch over Sophie's love hostage, were now able to visit the full measure of their affection and joy upon their returning master. It is generally agreed, and in fact stated in the bylaws of the American Kennel Club, that you have not been truly dog-humped until you have been double-dog-humped by a pair of four-hundred-pound hounds from hell (Section 5, paragraph 7: Standards of Humping and Ass-dragging). And despite having used an extra-strength antiperspirant that very morning before leaving Sedona, Charllie found that getting poked repeatedly in the armpits by two damp devil-dog dicks was leaving him feeling less than fresh. "

Mr. Moore also has quite a funny blog, lots of photos of his recent trip to London with some good captions, I personally liked his 'what I have learned in England' entry (Oct 2006).

and Mohammed and a Chinese neighbour who can make a mean goldfish stir fry. Very funny.

What I find most comedic of all is that the toilet bowl couldn't have digested the gold fish.

I'm inclined to think 'like a puzzle' all things have their place in this world. Ones taste can vary and jumping to conclusions I've always believed 'in most case scenarios' that one should step forward instead of never taking that step at all.

In this case I take one step backwards.

Peace,

The Philosopher

Just finished and thoroughly enjoyed 'The Ghost' by Robert Harris. Adam Lang's got to be Tony Blair, so I have another question to ask of youse English Persons but I wouldn't want to spoil the plot twist at the end for anyone intending to read it.

Anyone else read it yet?

Just finished and thoroughly enjoyed 'The Ghost' by Robert Harris. Adam Lang's got to be Tony Blair, so I have another question to ask of youse English Persons but I wouldn't want to spoil the plot twist at the end for anyone intending to read it.

Anyone else read it yet?

Alright then, I'll take it that no one minds.

***CAUTION PLOT SPOILER FOLLOWS***

The book follows the fictitious 'Adam Lang' and his meteoric rise to the head of an unnamed but quite obviously left leaning politcial party. This is presented as being unusual as Lang was from a background with no strong political ties and showed no interest in politics during his time at Oxbridge. It also suggests that not overly ambitious Lang's rise was due to his marriage and other external influence (I don't want to spell it out but it's an anagram of ACI).

Is this a view commonly held amoung the real Tony Blair's detractors or has Harris just plain spun another excellent yarn?

Anyone else read it yet?

Alright then, I'll take it that no one minds.

***CAUTION PLOT SPOILER FOLLOWS***

The book follows the fictitious 'Adam Lang' and his meteoric rise to the head of an unnamed but quite obviously left leaning politcial party. This is presented as being unusual as Lang was from a background with no strong political ties and showed no interest in politics during his time at Oxbridge. It also suggests that not overly ambitious Lang's rise was due to his marriage and other external influence (I don't want to spell it out but it's an anagram of ACI).

Is this a view commonly held among the real Tony Blair's detractors or has Harris just plain spun another excellent yarn?

It's not uncommon to think "spook" about various people. I thought one or two ex-colleagues might be in the pay of one or other intelligence service. Hadn't come across this proposition - a great idea in a novel - because almost impossible to prove either way. But why would the CIA have needed Blair to tell it the UK's intelligence secrets when Bush could just pick up the phone? Also MI6 and the CIA are already co-operating to a strong degree.

On the other had if the recruitment had happened early, any involvement could have been a useful soft blackmail tool to keep Blair on side. Blair had enough power and influence to take his cabinet with him on the invasion of Iraq apart from one or two dispensable colleagues like Clair Short and Robin Cook.

One problem with the idea is that the intelligence services of the US and the UK aren't nearly as intelligent as they would have us believe. They were very slow to appreciate the threat of Al Qaeda and the rise of Islamic insurgency.

I'm sure that grooming people for top jobs and career tracking does happen - it's one of the things they do - but there must be a high failure rate.