maryportfuncity

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Jurassic Park. The film is amazing, the book is possibly Crichton's best but does get bogged down in his own style.

I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one who thinks that. Don't they have editors anymore?

They do, although a good many writers seem to think success means they don't need editors anymore. Anne Rice is a famous example, though I've never read any of her stuff.

Ray Bradbury would submit all of his work, even after he became famous, to a group of his own peers who would point out every error, plot hole and other issues, and then he'd work on those before it even went to an editor. I like to think modern writers can learn more from Bradbury than Rice...

I've noticed the apparent lack of editing more and more in recent years.

Stephen King has said that he puts a completed MS away in a drawer for a month or two, and forgets about it, coming back to it with the perspective of distance. He runs it past friends and family too.

I've found this a good tip. If I've written something, I can always improve on it even if I just leave it alone for a day.

Can anyone think of any examples where the films are better than the books? I'd say MASH is one example and arguably The Hunger Games. Oh and I prefer the film version of Effie Briest to the novel.

I'm currently reading the Color (sic) Purple at the moment, not really enjoying it but will stick with it. I've heard that the film is better but I've not seen that.

Jaws. The book has a huge section in the middle where the shark doesn't feature at all.

Can anyone think of any examples where the films are better than the books? I'd say MASH is one example and arguably The Hunger Games. Oh and I prefer the film version of Effie Briest to the novel.

I'm currently reading the Color (sic) Purple at the moment, not really enjoying it but will stick with it. I've heard that the film is better but I've not seen that.

Jaws. The book has a huge section in the middle where the shark doesn't feature at all.

Sleepy Hollow. The short story is boring and ends weakly.

I have read almost 300 Doctor Who adaptations/original novels.

Possibly more.

My wife reads all the literary things and then tells me which ones are worth bothering with.

Have you read any of the Dr Who stories by Alexander Leithes? I believe he's written 3 or 4 of them.

Wasn't aware of these unless he wrote them under a pen name.

Possibly more.

My wife reads all the literary things and then tells me which ones are worth bothering with.

Have you read any of the Dr Who stories by Alexander Leithes? I believe he's written 3 or 4 of them.

A trip to Tardis Wiki tells me he wrote three stories in the Short Trips anthologies, though I have read none of the three.

Possibly more.

A trip to Tardis Wiki tells me he wrote three stories in the Short Trips anthologies, though I have read none of the three.

I was just wondering if they were any good, I've tried to find copies of the stores. Once I found a copy, went to buy it and was told it wasn't in stock and the bookshop had just forgot to update their inventory.

I used to work with him years ago, he printed out a copy of a story he was working on which I thought was based heavily on Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. Not only that, when he gave me the print out the pages were un-numbered and all loose in a folder. Before I got a chance to hole-punch them and put them in a ring-binder, I had dropped the folder resulting in the pages falling out and I just couldn't be bothered to work out in which sequence they should go back in.

Short Trips:2040 (The Baron)

Short Trips: A Universe of Terrors (The Fear)

Short Trips: Life Science (The End)

In case that jogs any reading by Bibliogryphon. The only short trips books I read were Past Tense (which was mostly great) and Repercussions (which wasted a decent idea).

Short Trips:2040 (The Baron)

Short Trips: A Universe of Terrors (The Fear)

Short Trips: Life Science (The End)

In case that jogs any reading by Bibliogryphon. The only short trips books I read were Past Tense (which was mostly great) and Repercussions (which wasted a decent idea).

The only Short Trips book I read was Wonders which I think I left (deliberately) in a holiday home we were renting in Wales.

That was the 90s Decalog series, which (mostly) wasn't very good. The Short Trips were a series of books by Big Finish which could be found in Forbidden Planet and Waterstones. Well, for a year or two. The writers could use any of the (then) eight doctors, but didn't name them, which led to one moment where what I thought was a spot on Third Doctor was apparently meant to be Paul McGann!

• Like 1

That was the 90s Decalog series, which (mostly) wasn't very good. The Short Trips were a series of books by Big Finish which could be found in Forbidden Planet and Waterstones. Well, for a year or two. The writers could use any of the (then) eight doctors, but didn't name them, which led to one moment where what I thought was a spot on Third Doctor was apparently meant to be Paul McGann!

I realised the mistake I had made after I posted that. I did read Time's Signature which I got from the local library but very little of it stayed with me. I am not sure Doctor Who is suited to the short story format.

I realised the mistake I had made after I posted that. I did read Time's Signature which I got from the local library but very little of it stayed with me. I am not sure Doctor Who is suited to the short story format.

It's in the library? Do I get royalties?

• Like 3

It's in the library? Do I get royalties?

You need to register and I'd also suggest getting the full ALCS coverage so's if the work is picked up in a photocopying survey there's a few more quid coming in.

*snip*...I thought was based heavily on Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. *snip*

No more Thomas Covenant. Please. The first three were good, the second three were pointless, and I have never read a more depressing set of books besides the Bible.

*snip*...I thought was based heavily on Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. *snip*

No more Thomas Covenant. Please. The first three were good, the second three were pointless, and I have never read a more depressing set of books besides the Bible.

It is a shame people think of Covenant when Donaldson is mentioned his Mordant's Need and Gap series are some of the best books I have ever read. My wife though has read all 10 Covenant books. I gave up after three.

Just finished The Coincidence Engine by Sam Leith.

Cleverish plot idea, OK story, disappointing end, so-so read. Apparently the reviewer for The Guardian thought the same.

It is a shame people think of Covenant when Donaldson is mentioned his Mordant's Need and Gap series are some of the best books I have ever read. My wife though has read all 10 Covenant books. I gave up after three.

I read the first 6, I enjoyed the first 3, then the second 3 I read purely because I felt I needed a bit of closure but when he wrote a couple more, I had no compulsion to read them.

It was the same with Terry Brooks and the kidney stones of shannara series. I read the first 3, I got a couple more from one of the book clubs I had subscribed to for about 50p each. I only picked them to fulfill my membership quota, just never read them. Sold them to a 2nd hand bookstore so I could make room on the shelves.

• Like 1

Reading an old (1980) social psychology book by Richard Sennett entitled 'Authority'; it explores how authority is generated, how it is accepted, and what legitimizes it. Seems a bit of a comparison in theories between Max Weber and Sigmund Freud, or maybe explores a blending of the two, and tries to fill in the gap that the author believes neither addresses: The role 'social exchange/interaction' plays in the process.

SC

• Like 1

Nowt much on this afternoon so a tonnage of music lined up to play as I finish the large tome that is D J Taylor's The Prose Factory; a history of British literary life since 1918.

Just me, then.

Just finished See how they Run ~ Ally Carter. 2nd in a YA series. Ended with a cliff-hanger so I'm guessing there will be another.

Still struggling through 50 Shades Darker. Nearly finished Furiously Happy, don't really have a reason as to what is holding me back from finishing it. On deck is Beverly Johnson's biography.

I've just stumbled upon this, and to say that I am taken aback is an understatement. jaw-drop-smiley-emoticon.gif

The Pocket Book of Boners

The Pocket Book of Boners contains 22 illustrations of boners by Dr Seuss.

Dr Seuss played fast and loose

we expected a cat

wearing a hat

but his man with a cock

gave us a shock

or something.

• Like 3

I've just stumbled upon this, and to say that I am taken aback is an understatement. jaw-drop-smiley-emoticon.gif

The Pocket Book of Boners

The Pocket Book of Boners contains 22 illustrations of boners by Dr Seuss.

Rather apt that today is Dr. Seuss' birthday. If he were still with us, he'd be 112

Guest grim up north

From a linked article I don't think a boner in this context is a cock, more a mistaken phrase.

boners

I used to know someone who worked in an abattoir and he was always telling me how hard it was to keep a good boner.

I don't think it was meant that way either when written. In fact I think the crude reference was american in origin but came into usage somewhat later than that publication. But hey, there's no fun in that.

Checked, apparently both are North American in origin, with "stupid mistake" coming some while before "erection". This is one definition.

From a linked article I don't think a boner in this context is a cock, more a mistaken phrase.

Spoilsport