maryportfuncity

Read Any Good Books Lately?

I’ve just bought that Beatles book by that bloke too, Nigel Dixon or whatever his name is :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I’ve just bought that Beatles book by that bloke too, Nigel Dixon or whatever his name is :D

A wise move - and potentially a Christmas present for the Beatles fan who though s/he had everything.

Tragically there are no mentions of Dave Grohl

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

and potentially a Christmas present for the Beatles fan who though s/he had everything.

or indeed the one with the inconvenient January birthday.

9 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

A wise move - and potentially a Christmas present for the Beatles fan who though s/he had everything.

Tragically there are no mentions of Dave Grohl

Well a good job it’s for my dad then :D

On 8/17/2017 at 13:36, msc said:

, there's a wonderful rant in defense of Ringo Starr

Put in reply here so folk don't go "oh is he dead?" but apparently it shall soon be Sir Ringo.

Totally did a search to see if it had been mentioned before, so no Clive Dunning the messenger...

Currently ploughing my way through this little beauty of a Christmas present:

3271b3b17d2e4b6ced94b1cb76676be3cbd55c73

• Like 2

bird box -  josh malerman    very much recommended

For Christmas I got Doctor Who and The Krikketmen an adaptation of a Douglas Adams treatment for a never produced Doctor Who movie that eventually found its way into the Third Hitch-Hiker book, Life, The Universe & Everything.

• Like 2

Found a hardcore kindred spirit in Nancy Mitford's Christmas Pudding:

Wendy Chadlington kept a little red pocket-book in which she wrote down the numbers of still-born babies every day as announced in the Births column of The Times. This lugubrious hobby seemed to afford her the deepest satisfaction.

p. 127, Vintage Books, 2013 edition.

Kalervo Palsa's "Eläkeläinen Muistelee" ("Retiree Reminisces"), a black-and-white inked comic-book recounting a plethora of highly surreal necrophiliac homosexual sadistic tales.

In the end of the story the narrator (a mass necrophile who poisoned his family with the "destroying angel" (Amanita virosa, the white mushroom) dies and then has hot gay group sex with St Peter and other apostles.

After this successful test of character he is admitted to heaven.

He is told that all women go to hell because they have no dicks, as do those men whose dicks are too small.

The Finnish cult artist Palsa had the reputation of a drunken artist masturbating at home and painting furiously. He used an incredibly varied palette of techniques and materials even including housepaint.

Just now, bladan said:

Kalervo Palsa's "Eläkeläinen Muistelee" ("Retiree Reminisces"), a black-and-white inked comic-book recounting a plethora of highly surreal necrophiliac homosexual sadistic tales.

In the end of the story the narrator (a mass necrophile who poisoned his family with the "destroying angel" (Amanita virosa, the white mushroom) dies and then has hot gay group sex with St Peter and other apostles.

After this successful test of character he is admitted to heaven.

He is told that all women go to hell because they have no dicks, as do those men whose dicks are too small.

The Finnish cult artist Palsa had the reputation of a drunken artist masturbating at home and painting furiously. He used an incredibly varied palette of techniques and materials even including housepaint.

Lovely.

12 hours ago, Toast said:

Lovely.

yes

Working my way through the Booker Prize short list nominees at the moment. Some of the nominees are so much better than the winners. e.g the Reluctant Fundamentalist > the Gathering; Morality Play > The Ghost Road. Some great books in the list, but some pap too.

Here's one for the DL book club...

• Haha 4

Just started a colourful alternative history of the recent past called Albion Dreaming - basically a look at the history of psychedelic drug use in this country. Encounters with hippies/R.D. Laing/misguided mystics and a few of the most improbable random nutcases and well-meaning eccentrics await me - along with the inside track on the infamous Operation Julie of the 70's.

A Man Called Ove - great book, you should  read it. It’s about a man who wants to commit suicide following the death of his wife, but life keeps scuppering his plans. 

• Like 1

Stephen king reads one of his books

Interesting read - albeit one that doesn't completely tally with online considerations of the same muder cases but...

51331aCpZpL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 2

Modesty Blaise books and comics

Tempted to add this to my wish list...

• Haha 1

Did he make $290.000 by selling "How I made $290.000 selling books"?

I read Cixin Liu's "Three body problem" last week. Hugo Award Winner. And it was worth it.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2018 at 19:07, maryportfuncity said:

Interesting read - albeit one that doesn't completely tally with online considerations of the same muder cases but...

51331aCpZpL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

:lol:

A like from lfn for the title won at White Hart Lane.

BBC did a piece on him of late since Marys post.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06fhxr2

2 hours ago, charon said:

:lol:

A like from lfn for the title won at White Hart Lane.

BBC did a piece on him of late since Marys post.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06fhxr2

Aye, going to give that a watch on Thursday.

On 31/07/2018 at 19:40, gcreptile said:

I read Cixin Liu's "Three body problem" last week. Hugo Award Winner. And it was worth it.

I have now finished the sequel "The Dark Forest". It is quite unlikely anything I've ever read. A totally different book from the first part which was very character-based, with boundless creativity.

First, the people behave more like ciphers for philosophical concepts, and the creativity leads to weird, boring places like a scientist being challenged by his girlfriend author to write a book on his own with his dream girlfriend and then the girlfriend becomes a hallucination that feels real (and then the tough detective from the first book finds a woman exactly like that hallucination for that scientist). But then, the narrative slowly pulls you in with aa couple of reveals, and the story turns dark, and then darker, and then darker. You literally lose faith in humanity. And then...

Also, Philip K. Dick's Ubik, which begins as if the author was on something really good (probably true), and then becomes quite a lively story. Need to read more from him.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Also, Philip K. Dick's Ubik, which begins as if the author was on something really good (probably true), and then becomes quite a lively story. Need to read more from him.

I recommend his short stories, often brilliant, and Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich (a novel), in this order. Some of his novels,especially the late ones, are boring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1