maryportfuncity

Read Any Good Books Lately?

LOVED this - basically how a man psychologically damaged by losing his mother as a baby channeled that into a lifetime's academia which got him a Pulitzer prize but also got progressively more esoteric (he wrote a best-seller laying out case studies that had convinced him alien abduction claims were the real deal), until he was pretty much a fully fledged mystic. 

For all that his end was prosaic to say the least. Note to Americans prone to having deep wandering thoughts; when crossing a London road, remember Brits drive on the right!

mack1.jpg

• Like 1

Juice Leskinen's 2014 biography.

A very interesting personality, he was a singer-songwriter from the 70s to the early 2000s and is now called the father of Finnish rock and pop music. Like a ton of other musicians who gained fame suddenly he had problems with tobacco and alcohol: liver cirrhosis in 1989, diabetes, depression, kidney problems. He died in November 2006 at the age of 56 after refusing to go to his dialysis treatment. Picture from late 2006:

Juice_Leskinen.jpg.4f0c71a41ed77b21bfa0d87580ef2223.jpg

Just started reading this.

2021-04-17_08_56_12.jpg

• Like 1

Just finished reading Christopher Josiffe's excellent investigation into  Gef, a Manx speaking mongoose who apparently turned up at a remote Isle of Man farm in the mid 1930s.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2020 at 08:40, Bibliogryphon said:

I read a fair bit of Jean Plaidy when I was at school. Very easy to read and quite informative.

Mrs Herald is currently reading The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel

Is it better to read the first books of the trilogy first?

I bought The Mirror and the Light now, because of the universal critical acclaim. But now wonder if they need to be read in order.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Is it better to read the first books of the trilogy first?

I bought The Mirror and the Light now, because of the universal critical acclaim. But now wonder if they need to be read in order.

They form a complete story. I would suggest reading the other two first. Though the BBC adaptation is very good if you want to cheat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

They form a complete story. I would suggest reading the other two first. Though the BBC adaptation is very good if you want to cheat.

Or The Tudors if you want something a bit more, er, lively.  :evil2:

• Shocked 1