Kiss of Death

Sir Geoffrey Boycott

Has anyone noticed Geoffery Boycott on Channel Four/Cricket? Looks like a candidate if ever I saw one. :unsure:

I thought Boycs was in remission - must be the after-effects of the chemo that are making him look ropey. I don't think they'd let him broadcast if he was on his way out............

Guest Guest_Kiss of Death

Maybe, but I can't help thinking there's something going on. It's all in the eyes. :unsure:

He's been in this neck of the woods this week - in the interview in the local rag he says he's been in remission for 16 months now, but is still taking the tablets....... don't know what they're for though!

love and kisses

little sister

Whatever the tablets are, I don't think they're working! Does anyone think he'd made a good candidate for next years list?? :unsure:

He's on one of my lists and definitely worth others considering. He's far from a likely hit, more of a gamble or punt but one worth having in or considering to make up your list,

Every list should have a few less likely punts or gambles in in my opinion.

He was a great man, he was a great fan of zimbabwean cricket RIP

What are you on about. He's not dead yet.

Don't feed the troll.....................

Boycott is as cantankerous as ever so I think he would be a very long shot. He's lining himself up to be England's next batting coach so I'm sure he plans to hang around until he has had chance to put the whole squad right on a few things.

• Like 1

Did he not used to put his wife in place? Or was that Stan Collymore? I get them mixed up

Did he not used to put his wife in place? Or was that Stan Collymore? I get them mixed up

Easy to get mixed up as they are both so alike!

Boycott is as cantankerous as ever so I think he would be a very long shot. He's lining himself up to be England's next batting coach so I'm sure he plans to hang around until he has had chance to put the whole squad right on a few things.

I like the occasional longshot in life!

That's seriously the guy's surname?  WTH, the family bored and said let's pick a random word that can be both a noun AND a verb, and call ourselves that?
What could the possible etymology of the Boycott clan be?  Sounds like Keeping Up Appearances.... it's BOYCOTT.
SC

It's an old English name. Geoffrey might might be related to Charles Boycott (from which we've taken the word) but I dunno.

32 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

That's seriously the guy's surname?  WTH, the family bored and said let's pick a random word that can be both a noun AND a verb, and call ourselves that?
What could the possible etymology of the Boycott clan be?  Sounds like Keeping Up Appearances.... it's BOYCOTT.
SC

From the OED:

boycott, n. and v.

Origin: From a proper name. Etymon: proper name Boycott.
Etymology: < the name of Captain Charles C. Boycott (1832–97), a land agent in Ireland, who was a prominent early recipient of such treatment (with the encouragement of the Irish Land League) in the autumn of 1880. See, for example:
1880   Freeman's Jrnl. (Dublin) 25 Sept. 6/8   The multitude..rushed to Loughmask House, the residence of Captain Boycott, the agent on the estate, and the party against whom the popular ire was chiefly directed, and in a very short time every labourer and servant employed on or around the place was driven off and cautioned not to work there again.
The word was rapidly adopted in many other European languages, e.g. French boycotter (1880), German boycottieren (1893; now boykottieren), Dutch boycotten (1904), Russian bojkotirovat' (1891), etc.

HTH

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Casually racist: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41010324

On the basis of those remarks, he should be up for the Grand Wizard's Presidential Medal of Honor...

That's pretty standard for him, Clarkson-level really. Wasn't there one famous British cricketer who was politically active among the extreme right? 

• Haha 1

Shitstorm in a teacup.Shame he apologised.Should have told the perpetually offended brigade to get a life.

• Like 1

LOL I came to mock this guy's name but I see I already took care of that in 2017.  I honestly forgot.  Maybe he will boycott life itself, and do us all a favour.

SC

I had Geoffrey Boycott on one of my 2017 lists and will now definitely put him back in active consideration for next year with this latest news.