Kiss of Death

Sir Geoffrey Boycott

On 22/08/2017 at 14:51, JR976evil said:

That's pretty standard for him, Clarkson-level really. Wasn't there one famous British cricketer who was politically active among the extreme right? 

Not sure what you'd call famous, but the old Sussex and England captain Arthur Gilligan would appear to fit that description - I believe his brother Harold was of similar views, but can't find conformation of that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Gilligan

Seems to be a bit of a stushie about his knighthood.

Apparently convicted of hitting his then partner 20+ years ago, now Tezza gives him a knighthood (while Tezza was always the one talking about helping domestic abuse victims). Remember the rape clause? Remember the women's refuges being shut down under Cameron when she was Home Secretary? Tezza's got form, so has Boycott.

Ah.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Apparently convicted of hitting his then partner 20+ years ago, now Tezza gives him a knighthood (while Tezza was always the one talking about helping domestic abuse victims). Remember the rape clause? Remember the women's refuges being shut down under Cameron when she was Home Secretary? Tezza's got form, so has Boycott.

Ah.

When Boris goes it'll be arise Sir Peter Sutcliffe,if the latter survives the next  6-7 weeks.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Ah.

Loads of rubbish, so he put a women in her place, in Saudi Arabia they cannot even drive

At least in Egypt I let them vote

1 hour ago, redrumours said:

When Boris goes it'll be arise Sir Peter Sutcliffe,if the latter survives the next  6-7 weeks.

For services to...

A reliable and hard working lorry driver, apparently and featured in publicity for his firm before his selfless devotion to duty was derailed by a few careless mistakes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desmond Tutu said:

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Doth he who bowls out a blackman will surely inhabit hell.

A black Israelite circa 2005

• Haha 1

Why has his thread title been updated when others who are knights or dames have not?

Sir Geoffrey Boycott, 79, has left as a commentator on Test Match Special after 14 years, citing Covid-19 pandemic and his 2018 heart operation as making the decision to not renew his contract that had expired easy.  Not ruled out occasional appearances as a guest.

His on air banter with Jonathan ‘Aggers’ Agnew on TMS could be quite amusing at times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52944158

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8861679/Sir-Geoffrey-Boycott-80-says-BBC-opted-equality-quality-Test-Match-Special.html

Geoffrey unhappy  and complaining because he believes he was let go from the BBC  unfairly and for reasons of political  correctness  and not merit  is his belief or equality over quality as he puts it.

14 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8861679/Sir-Geoffrey-Boycott-80-says-BBC-opted-equality-quality-Test-Match-Special.html

Geoffrey unhappy  and complaining because he believes he was let go from the BBC  unfairly and for reasons of political  correctness  and not merit  is his belief or equality over quality as he puts it.

In other words, more of the same shite he's been spouting for ages. If the Beeb had got rid of Agnew and kept Boycott, bet we wouldn't have all this crap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would often turn off Test Match Special when Boycott appeared for his summarising stint, as he annoyed me so much.

On 06/06/2020 at 13:56, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Yes that'll be it Geoffrey :rolleyes:

In the Telegraph yesterday saying Test Match special has gone too diverse i.e too many women working on it I suspect. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

In the Telegraph yesterday saying Test Match special has gone too diverse i.e too many women working on it I suspect. 

Not only that, one of them is black and another one is Asian! :o

• Like 1

How did Boycott become a surname?  Is there someone walking around with the surname Protest?  Prolly his wife’s name ‘Geoffrey, I’d like you to meet my neighbour, Mary Protest’; she would soon become Mary Boycott-Protest.  Name their baby Insurrection.

• Facepalm 3

57 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

How did Boycott become a surname?  Is there someone walking around with the surname Protest?  Prolly his wife’s name ‘Geoffrey, I’d like you to meet my neighbour, Mary Protest’; she would soon become Mary Boycott-Protest.  Name their baby Insurrection.

I work at NHS reception signing in patients. You'd be surprised at the surnames some people have. 

My mum has done family history deep dives and originally the census was done by hand with people going house to house. Some people may have heard wrong or not been able to spell. So of course a surname would change from something like Neumann to Newman etc.

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

As I'm sure you know, being Oirish and all that to be sure to be sure, (Captain Charles) Boycott the surname begat boycott the action.

‘BBC Boycotts Bitter Boycott’ would make a decent Sun headline.

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

My mum has done family history deep dives and originally the census was done by hand with people going house to house. Some people may have heard wrong or not been able to spell. So of course a surname would change from something like Neumann to Newman etc.

It's a common misconception that the censuses were conducted on the doorstep.  Every household was given a form to fill in, which was collected by the enumerator a few days later.

The enumerator then copied the contents of the forms into his summary book and (before 1911) the individual forms were discarded after the information had been extracted.   So the enumerator's books are not a primary source, but transcriptions, and there's a lot of room for copying errors, especially as some of the handwriting would be very poor.  That goes for some of the enumerators too!

There would have been cases where the form hadn't been completed and the information collected on the doorstep, but for the most part people filled in their own forms, often with the help of a literate neighbour.  In some neighbourhoods the local schoolteacher or parish priest might go round to assist anyone who found it difficult.

You're right about misspellings and mishearings, of course.  And spelling of names was generally inconsistent, people tended to write them down as they heard them.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Geoffrey Boycott on holiday in South Africa 

GFArogaWEAATWHL.jpeg.jpg

5 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

DL worthy candidate.

84 this year and well enough it would seem to travel to SA So probably can be left for another few years before considering

Anyone do a search for this thread before posting in the Cricket thread?