I'm trying to find an article I read on the BBC ages ago about long life. It said among other things that either eldest sons of large families or youngest sons live longer. Can't remember which.

I don't think this is the article you were thinking of,

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/hi/health/2036002.stm

But even so it is quite interesting.

Oh well, thats me screwed. The oldest member of my bloodline managed to live to 83 - that was in 1904.

After that they started dying younger and younger - hope its not a trend... :lol:

Everyone of those tests I do says I'm going to live until I'm at least 85 and I really don't want to live that long. Damn my gender and genetics, even the borderline bulimia and lack of exercise don't seem to reduce my lifespan, though I suppose the fact I don't smoke or drink undoes that.

It gives me 88.6 years living in this nasty polluted big city atmosphere. If I move to somewhere cleaner, then I could increase my intake of unhealthy substances and perhaps keep the same result.

Well, it would certainly make for a happier life until I eventually drop off the log! :lol:

Everyone of those tests I do says I'm going to live until I'm at least 85 and I really don't want to live that long. Damn my gender and genetics, even the borderline bulimia and lack of exercise don't seem to reduce my lifespan, though I suppose the fact I don't smoke or drink undoes that.

You could try getting run over by Norman in his Beamer.

You could try getting run over by Norman in his Beamer.

Would that me the first example of a dead pool pick killing someone who's picked him?

I remember seeing a couple of nutters on Terry Wogan's chat show ages ago who ran an organisation called something like Together Forever, who claimed they were never going to die.

Does anyone know if they, or any member of their organisation has died?

Don't know about that but I found this on snopes.com

Jerome Rodale (died 5 June 1971)

In a New York Times Magazine interview, this 72-year-old longevity guru announced, "I'm going to live to be 100, unless I'm run down by a sugar-crazed taxi driver." A guest on the Dick Cavett Show the next day, while Cavett was discussing politics with journalist Pete Hamill, Rodale's head dropped to his chest and he was heard to let out what sounded like a snore. "Are we boring you, Mr. Rodale?" asked Cavett. There was no response -- Rodale was dead. The show was never broadcast.

Jerome Rodale (died 5 June 1971)

In a New York Times Magazine interview, this 72-year-old longevity guru announced, "I'm going to live to be 100, unless I'm run down by a sugar-crazed taxi driver." A guest on the Dick Cavett Show the next day, while Cavett was discussing politics with journalist Pete Hamill, Rodale's head dropped to his chest and he was heard to let out what sounded like a snore. "Are we boring you, Mr. Rodale?" asked Cavett. There was no response -- Rodale was dead. The show was never broadcast.

:lol:

regards,

Hein

Special day for this person today. spends most of her time dozing, apparently. Maybe that's the secret. Or perhaps it only works for cats.

Special day for this person today. spends most of her time dozing, apparently. Maybe that's the secret. Or perhaps it only works for cats.

It doesn't work for cats - they only live about 15 years! The woman in that link looks like she's dead already.

It doesn't work for cats - they only live about 15 years! The woman in that link looks like she's dead already.

My god, she does, doesn't she? I couldn't resist the click to enlarge photo option and noticed that if you live to 128 your right ear apparently evolves into extra fingers. Which must be handy.

Full marks to the picture editor for chosing an image that really preserves her dignity.

Our Tabitha celebrated her 17th birthday recently making her about 120 in cat years. She can't get over a five foot wall anymore - but I don't suppose Ms Hernandez could either.

She probably could with a few modifications to her Stannah stairlift (cf. Gremlins)..............

I've studied the picture, is there any hard evidence that she's - like - still alive? I reckon she's been embalmed in some kind of benefit fraud.

A 99-year-old man was interviewed on Leno tonight. His secrets to longevity are:

1 - his weight has not fluctuated more than 5lbs from 145lbs since he graduated from high school;

2 - he doesn't eat very much red meat;

3 - he chews his food very thoroughly.

He is a current table-tennis champion, he is still allowed to drive (including at night), and he recently (five years ago) married a 70-year-old. He also read out one of his poems (he writes poems too - mind and body, folks) entitled something like "Advice to Ageing Lovers" which ended with a couple of lines about how the great thing about dentures is that he doesn't have to worry about being bitten during oral sex.

He seemed very spry.

He also read out one of his poems (he writes poems too - mind and body, folks) entitled something like "Advice to Ageing Lovers" which ended with a couple of lines about how the great thing about dentures is that he doesn't have to worry about being bitten during oral sex.

I've long wondered about that but I would assume that being clamped by a good pair of gums could make your eyes water. I once fell in love with a girl (when very small) who had lost all her teeth by the age of 18. I never did go out with her then but, as I say, I did wonder about that.

Either way, the 99 year old poet and the death at 100 of Stanley Kunitz provide yet more evidence that we should take up writing bigtime. The mental agility required to stay up to speed hereabouts might be a factor in the long lives of a DL'er or two.

94 year old man claims that secret to living a long life is looking at boobies.

Now there's a way to live to 100 and actually want to live that long. :dead:

94 year old man claims that secret to living a long life is looking at boobies.

Now there's a way to live to 100 and actually want to live that long. :dead:

But how have they helped him to retain his acute sense of hearing?

I've long wondered about that but I would assume that being clamped by a good pair of gums could make your eyes water.

A certain X Factor contestant who used to sing with a certain Madchester band apparently gave great blow jobs and always with her teeth out.

But I fear we're straying off the subject somewhat now...

I've long wondered about that but I would assume that being clamped by a good pair of gums could make your eyes water.

A certain X Factor contestant who used to sing with a certain Madchester band apparently gave great blow jobs and always with her teeth out.

But I fear we're straying off the subject somewhat now...

No matter...I'm liking the path we seem to be meandering down... :dead:

Well if boobies aren't your thing, perhaps you could take up Ping Pong, as this 95-year old champion has.

Just a thread to look at life expectancy figures.

Worldwide, life expectancy, which is basically the median expected span of years from birth to death based on current age-specific death rates, is increasing year on year (with the current global population average at 70.5 between 2010 and 2015, according to the UN). Individual countries range from a life expectancy of 83.7 (and rising) in Japan to 50.1 in Sierra Leone.  

As an aside, it's worth noting that the median is nor the same as the mode, since of course the distribution is skewed; for instance, in Western European countries like the UK, although life expectancy is in the early 80s, the most likely age that an average individual might expect to die based on current stats is in their late 80s. 

Country averages only tell you so much, as well; for instance, in the USA, if you break it down by state, life expectancy ranges from 75.0 in Mississippi (similar to Malaysia, Romania or Brazil) to 81.3 in Hawaii (similar to the UK or Ireland).  And if you break it down still further, ie by county, life expectancy in the USA ranges from 66 (well below the international population average) to 87 (well above Japan); and generally the lowest performing counties have not been rising in life expectancy along with the rest of the country over the last couple of decades.

What gets a little disconcerting, meanwhile, is that life expectancy may now be peaking in both the USA (which has recently had two successive years of small drops in life expectancy, with a rise in drug overdose deaths, homicides, suicides, and road traffic deaths, while other causes of death remained largely static) and the EU (which has recently had a one year drop in life expectancy, although I'm not aware of the breakdown by cause).  Since life expectancy measures only the risk of dying before very old age (it doesn't matter a jot to such calculations in any country on earth whether you die at 85 or 115), it is particularly weighted in favour of measuring the deaths of the young, and thus works to some extent as a quality of life indicator. The homeless, the unemployed, and people with severe mental illnesses certainly have much lower life expectancies than the average, for instance.

Is it fair to ask, then, whether things are getting worse? (In the west at least, and for everyone but deathlisters, obituary writers and undertakers, that is, since the combination of this peak with our aging population may presage a bumper crop for the reaper ahead).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1