Godot

Cartoonists And Animators

Switched the telly on last night and caught the end of an item on Donald McGill, one of the UK's best know postcard artists yet ignored when he died, not even a gravestone. There are some great cartoonists out there and some are getting on a bit. Of all places this should be one where their health and well being is monitored ahead of their last laugh.

Bill Tidy has been working 46 years so is not so young. Mac seems to have been going for ever. I see Maurice Dodd (the Perishers) died on New Year's Eve, don't remember anyone mentioning him so he was one that got away. There's a big list here:

http://www.cagle.com/prolinks/library/syndARTISTS.asp

There is even a site devoted to the graves of dead cartoonists:

http://www.planetcartoonist.com/graves.shtml

• Like 1

My great uncle was a famous cartoonist, can't remember what name he published under though. Still he's dead so I don't suppose it matters

• Like 1

The chap that draws Bristow in the Evening Standard must be getting on now. Frank Dickens I think his name is. You got me thinking about the newspaper strips of the 70s and 80s. There was Fred Basset, the Gambols, Sporting Sam, not to mention George and Lynn who seemed to live in a permanent state of undress ... I'm pretty certain Giles is deceased though. How would you describe a dead cartoonist - de-syndicated?

• Like 1

Norm McCabe (see bottom of page) has died at age 94. He was famous for the war cartoons "Tokio Jokio" and "The Ducktators."

Sad news indeed. I've seen both of those (readily available on your local file sharing program) and they're fascinating beyond belief.

And yes, I know this isn't the near misses thread, but I thought it was relevant here.

Thanks for posting that link, Tempus. I had no idea Ronald Searle was still alive. Sometime in the early 1970s I was given a copy of How to be Topp, one of the classic Molesworth books (think a 1950s version of Adrian Mole with atrocious spelling). For a while there I was back in the grim world of St Custards, with Grabber, Fotherington-Thomas et al. I lost my copy a long time ago chiz. Sadly the co-author Geoffrey Willans died shortly after publication, in 1958.

The chap that draws Bristow in the Evening Standard must be getting on now. Frank Dickens I think his name is. You got me thinking about the newspaper strips of the 70s and 80s. There was Fred Basset, the Gambols, Sporting Sam, not to mention George and Lynn who seemed to live in a permanent state of undress ... I'm pretty certain Giles is deceased though. How would you describe a dead cartoonist - de-syndicated?

Carl Giles sadly died in 1995, aged 78.

I guess as good a term as any for a dead cartoonist would be 'rubbed out'?

I know this is pathetic but I used to think George and Lynn was quite racy. There wasn't much in the way of, ahem, stimulation when I was a kid, apart from Parade magazine at the barbers where the pudendum was air brushed out. It came as a shock when I discovered the truth.

I know this is pathetic but I used to think George and Lynn was quite racy. There wasn't much in the way of, ahem, stimulation when I was a kid, apart from Parade magazine at the barbers where the pudendum was air brushed out. It came as a shock when I discovered the truth.

But on the plus side, you found somewhere to park your bicycle. :lol:

Captain Pugwash creator John Ryan has walked the plank. Also drew Mary, Mungo & Midge and Sir Prancelot. :banghead:

But played no part in the creation of Roger the Cabin Boy, Seaman Staines and Master Bates?

I'm afraid not. They were created in our fevered collective imagination.

Ronald Searle turns 90 today, C4 interview with him here. Sounds a little creaky....

"American Splendor" cartoonist Harvey Pekar, played by Paul Giamatti in the movie of the same name, dead at 70.

I'll post mine as well.

Cartoons & Corpses

Lucille Bliss

Gene Deitch

June Foray

Stan Freberg

Bill Justice

Rudy Larriva

Tom Ray

Mike Road

Larry Storch

Janet Waldo

Disney animator Bill Justice (Fantasia/Bambi) has died aged 97.

How would you describe a dead cartoonist - de-syndicated?

Not very animated?

Gene Colan - American comic book artist, dying of liver failure.

His liver seems to be taking rather a long time to give up the ghost. He's still active enough to have just broken his shoulder.

Some interesting developments. Gene Colan's shoulder was actually broken after he was attacked by his mentally ill wife, Adrienne Colan. He left her after the assault and she was placed in psychiatric care after a "self harm incident". Adrienne Colan was found dead at her home today, which "isn't a great surprise" to those who were close to her...

Gene Colan's dead. Unique DDT DDP pick for a top ten team.

Gene Colan - American comic book artist, dying of liver failure.

His liver seems to be taking rather a long time to give up the ghost. He's still active enough to have just broken his shoulder.

Some interesting developments. Gene Colan's shoulder was actually broken after he was attacked by his mentally ill wife, Adrienne Colan. He left her after the assault and she was placed in psychiatric care after a "self harm incident". Adrienne Colan was found dead at her home today, which "isn't a great surprise" to those who were close to her...

Gene Colan's dead. Unique DDT DDP pick for a top ten team.

oh good, that puts me back in the lead on my local dead pool

Stan Lee turns 89 on 28th December, but seems to be showing absolutely no signs of slowing down

• Like 1