Godot

Cartoonists And Animators

3 hours ago, Predictor said:

One of my 2019 DDP picks was British comic book artist Glenn Fabry. Back in October 2018, it was revealed that he had lung cancer. I included him in my team, which I sent on 29 December 2018. I've just noticed right now that there had been an update on the 28th regarding his illness. Turns out it was tuberculosis all along. His Wikipedia wasn't updated to this fact until February 2019. Happy for the guy, but that's one wasted pick. :D:unsure::(

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/28/glenn-fabry-tuberculosis-not-lung-cancer/

Perhaps the only scenario where you are thrilled to be diagnosed with TB.

Ftz07proVX6Rq.gif

• Like 2

Al Jaffee is 98. Al Jaffee has also just relaunched his official website and doesn't look like he's going anywhere soon.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Al Jaffee is 98. Al Jaffee has also just relaunched his official website and doesn't look like he's going anywhere soon

Not unless that recliner has wheels.

Going to pop this here.

Producer Lee Mendelson, famous for producing the Peanuts TV Specials died on Christmas Day according to this: https://padailypost.com/2019/12/27/lee-mendelson-executive-producer-of-peanuts-tv-specials-dies/

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0578882/

Also wrote the song Christmas Time Is Here.

• Sad 1

Former Boston Herald cartoonist Jerry Holbert was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia (FTD) last year. Jerry, 61, had been exhibiting symptoms for five years prior to his diagnosis.  

I thought maybe a sneaky Cup pick but it appears the disease has an average life expectancy of 8 years, meaning he has 3 years minimum, approx.

SC

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Former Boston Herald cartoonist Jerry Holbert was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia (FTD) last year. Jerry, 61, had been exhibiting symptoms for five years prior to his diagnosis.  

I thought maybe a sneaky Cup pick but it appears the disease has an average life expectancy of 8 years, meaning he has 3 years minimum, approx.

SC

On the other hand, Terry Jones had FTD and died 5 years after diagnosis.  Means he's due, maybe even overdue. I'd pick him for sure in the Cup if I were you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

On the other hand, Terry Jones had FTD and died 5 years after diagnosis.  Means he's due, maybe even overdue. I'd pick him for sure in the Cup if I were you.

Oh we are going to have fun in Cup play, I just know it. :lol:

Arguably should or could also go in the journalist  thread or another thread I cant find around comics etc but anyway Victor Gorelick, editor in chief of Archie comics has passed away aged 78.

Sad news. Asterix is one of the great cultural creations of the 20th Century imo.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

comic book writer Albert Uderzo, who is best known for Asterix & Obelix, dead at 92 years

https://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/article/2020/03/24/albert-uderzo-l-un-des-peres-d-asterix-est-mort_6034210_3382.html

Unless Nigel Blackwell or New Jack die this year, this is the death I'll be most sad at in 2020.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

comic book writer Albert Uderzo, who is best known for Asterix & Obelix, dead at 92 years

https://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/article/2020/03/24/albert-uderzo-l-un-des-peres-d-asterix-est-mort_6034210_3382.html

Damn shame. I love those books from childhood to this day. The first bit of latin I ever learned was because of those. Alea jacta est.  RIP. 

• Like 2

My father used to have every single Asterix comic book ( until his death), so as a child I also read them all.

Sad, but at least a hit for my French theme team...

• Like 3

Terribly sad that it is simply in the wrong thread! (Is @Cat O'Falk ill?) :D

I'll say it again, the title should be changed to comedians and comedy writers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Big fan of the Asterix series. A sad death indeed.

14 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Albert Uderzo QO: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/mar/24/asterix-creator-albert-uderzo-dies-at-92

I remember reading Asterix in elementary school. I seem to recall ithey were in the back of the class (in one year or another) and available for perusing during indoor recess. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ajlposh said:

Mort Drucker of Mad Magazine fame has died

Heard an interview last year where some other Mad writer referred to him in the past tense which made me think he wasn't long for this world.

2 hours ago, ajlposh said:

Mort Drucker of Mad Magazine fame has died

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Heard an interview last year where some other Mad writer referred to him in the past tense which made me think he wasn't long for this world.

From Spade's 2017 Salvage Lot:

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:32, Spade_Cooley said:

K!eran M@xwell - "Inspiring" Olympic torch carrier from four years ago who has taken a turn for the worse in recent months, nowhere near guaranteed an obit though

Sonja Durham - This may be the one I regret dropping most, Lady Gaga's bestie, stage 4 metastatic breast cancer, Gaga's even got a song about her on her latest album... I'm almost certain I'll curse dropping her

Keith Welch, Les Mutrie - Footballers who may well fall victim to the "no BBC local report" rulings

Miguel Ferrer - The big "rumour" pick this year other than Eddie Long, but I can't risk a pick based on Twitter gossip and nothing higher up

Alan Chamberlain - Probably the most famous snooker referee with a penis left now Len Ganley's gone. Has suddenly stepped down from all positions he holds in the game and there were a few "didn't know he was that ill" comments from the snooker community around there.

Mort Drucker - Mad Magazine artist apparently fully on the way out

And yet unpicked for the DDP.

Would he obit?