Godot

Cartoonists And Animators

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 18:15, YoungWillz said:

Co-creator of Scooby-Doo and  Dynomutt Dog Wonder, Joe Ruby reportedly dead aged 87: https://www.animationscoop.com/joe-ruby-1933-2020/

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0748445/

And other co-creator Ken Spears dead: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/ken-spears-dead-scooby-doo-co-creator-1234825813/

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0817366/

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

After Casey Kasem, that's the second person involved with Scooby-Doo to die at the age of 82 while suffering from Lewy body dementia.

• Like 1

Huh, both Ruby and Spears died in the same year.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

Huh, both Ruby and Spears died in the same year.

The janitor did it!

Three retired cartoonists of famous strips to look out for next year:

Wally Fawkes (Trog) [97 next year] drew Flook for the Daily Mail & very briefly for the Daily Mirror

Enrique Romero [91 next year] drew Axa for The Sun 

Bill Tidy [88 next year] drew The Fosdyke Saga for The Daily Mirror

Dave Creek, the lead character designer for Fox's "Bob's Burgers," died Thursday, succumbing to injuries he sustained in a skydiving accident last week. He was 42.
SC

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 24/03/2020 at 09:14, TomTomTelekom said:

comic book writer Albert Uderzo, who is best known for Asterix & Obelix, dead at 92 years

https://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/article/2020/03/24/albert-uderzo-l-un-des-peres-d-asterix-est-mort_6034210_3382.html

And now Marcel Uderzo (wiki), brother of the above and comic book artist on the Asterix series, has died from COVID-19 aged 87.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

India's most prominent cartoonist, 95-year old Narayan Debnath, hospitalised with urinary trait infection, neurological and respiratory issues, but improving.

An immortal in the making or a rapid goner?

S. Clay Wilson, and underground cartoonist notable for his violent and sexually explicit depictions has died aged 79, says his wife on twitter. 

Was picked a couple of times for deadpools in the past due to a brain injury in 2008, which he never fully recovered from.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

S. Clay Wilson, and underground cartoonist notable for his violent and sexually explicit depictions has died aged 79, says his wife on twitter. 

Was picked a couple of times for deadpools in the past due to a brain injury in 2008, which he never fully recovered from.

Hit for my shadow list and my DbN team.  Left him off DDP due to qualifying obit fears.

Master illustrator Charles Boyer passed away on February 8th.

Boyer began his Disney career as a temporary portrait sketch artist at Disneyland in 1960. However, his job was anything but temporary — he eventually became Disneyland’s first full-time artist and illustrator.  Just after six months of working at Disneyland, he became an illustrator for its marketing and advertising art department. He went on to work for the company for 39 years, working in a variety of media. One of his most well-known works is “A Disneyland Tribute to Firefighters.”

Boyer retired from Disney in 1999. 

SC

Just now, Sir Creep said:

Master illustrator Charles Boyer passed away on February 8th.

Boyer began his Disney career as a temporary portrait sketch artist at Disneyland in 1960. However, his job was anything but temporary — he eventually became Disneyland’s first full-time artist and illustrator.  Just after six months of working at Disneyland, he became an illustrator for its marketing and advertising art department. He went on to work for the company for 39 years, working in a variety of media. One of his most well-known works is “A Disneyland Tribute to Firefighters.”

Boyer retired from Disney in 1999. 

SC

Look up.

10 minutes ago, Dying Probably said:

Look up.

That twat is blocked.  That won't change and I am not responsible for knowing anything the cunt posts.  You would all do well to do the same.
I also actually add content to my posts.  Thank you for appreciating my efforts vs most others.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

That twat is blocked.  That won't change and I am not responsible for knowing anything the cunt posts.  You would all do well to do the same.
I also actually add content to my posts.  Thank you for appreciating my efforts vs most others.

By that I think SC means he knows how to copy and paste large chunks from articles, and he wants credit for this.

A big boy sticker for you. 

94382DE9-D755-4DEF-8666-5E438E86B8D5.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Alan Moore, the British comic book author, announced a new 5-part epic fantasy series:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/may/03/im-bursting-with-fiction-alan-moore-announces-five-volume-fantasy-epic

He's always been in our sights for his gaunt, haggard look. But now he probably thinks he can live long enough to finish this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, arghton said:

Kentaro Miura, creator of the manga Berserk that had over 50 million copies sold all over the world has died aged 54 from acute aortic dissection:

https://www.hakusensha.co.jp/information/60696/

QOs across the board, which means that anime and manga artists are now on the radar as possible DDP picks.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2021 at 17:13, Spade_Cooley said:

QOs across the board, which means that anime and manga artists are now on the radar as possible DDP picks.

Berserk seems to have been a very big thing, as they've made video games, statues, action figures, lighters, keyrings, books out of it.

I did some research, here's some known manga/anime creators mentioned on wikipedia's manga/anime portal:

Hayao Miyazaki (b. 1941) A name that nearly anyone who has heard of anime or manga recognizes. He's the co-founder of Studio Ghibli, a giant anime studio and probably the most known alive manga/anime creator. One of his most famous creations is Totoro. Has had heart problems in the 2010s, also used to smoke like a chimney. Another co-founder of Studio Ghibli, Isao Takahata (1935-2018) died of lung cancer and Miyazaki has admitted to smoking near him.

Satoshi Tajiri (b. 1965) and Ken Sugimori (b. 1966) The creators of Pokemon. They're in their 50s but when the time comes, they'll be talked about everywhere.

Yuko Shimizu (b. 1946) and Shintaro Tsuji (b. 1927) The creators of Hello Kitty, Shimizu was the designer, Tsuji created the company and probably made the stories. Much older than the creators of Pokemon. Tsuji's retirement last year was mentioned on BBC and Independent.

Hideaki Anno (b. 1960) Creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion, a religion-related anime that started in the 90s. Licensed by Netflix, total revenue of an estimated 11.9 billion dollars. Anno has had serious mental problems before.

Akira Toriyama (1955-2024) Created Dragon Ball. No known health issues.

Yoshiyuki Tomino (b. 1941) Created Gundam in the 70s.

Tetsuo Hara (b. 1961) Creator of the Fist of the Northern Star.

Not so sure if they'll get a QO:

Yukinobu Hoshino (b. 1954) Writer of 2001 Nights. Work acknowledged by the British Museum and was on display 2009-2010.

Mamoru Hosoda (b. 1967) Has done multiple movies.

Yoshiaki Kawajiri (b. 1950) Has done multiple movies.

Tomoharu Katsumata (b. 1938)

Koichi Mashimo (b. 1952)

Masami Kurumada (b. 1953)

Leiji Matsumoto (1938-2023) and Miyako Maki (b. 1935) Mangaka couple. Matsumoto suffered severe respiratory problems and was in critical condition in 2019.

Shinji Mizushima (1939-2022) Baseball manga author.

Hideko Mizuno (b. 1939) Known in the 1960s.

Go Nagai (b. 1945) Horror/Erotica manga creator

Takao Saito (1936-2021) Creator of Golgo 13 and working on it since the 60s

Sanpei Shirato (1932-2021) Early manga artist

• Like 1