Godot

Cartoonists And Animators

25 minutes ago, Sideik said:

Italian cartoonist Sergio Staino (82) hospitalised  in stable but serious conditions after a sudden illness. He is also affected by a degeneration of the retina that made him almost blind.

Not in danger of life apparently.

• Like 1

Peter David hospitalised after suffering mild heart attack, major stroke and multiple minor strokes. Was already in failing health before this.

• Like 1

The great Aline Kominsky-Crumb, wife of Robert for 44 years and a raunchy cartoonist in her own right, has died of pancreatic cancer. She was 74. 

German illustrator Wolf Erlbruch Who created the children book « The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit » dead at 74. Quite a popular book in France and a cute one. 

18C90188-C834-4B2B-A0A9-8464DB4F3609.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

German illustrator Wolf Erlbruch Who created the children book « The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit » dead at 74. Quite a popular book in France and a cute one. 

18C90188-C834-4B2B-A0A9-8464DB4F3609.jpeg

Read that book when I was a child, think it might still be somewhere upstairs. In Dutch it was translated as "Over een kleine mol die wil weten wie er op zijn kop gepoept heeft". And the saddest part besides the illustrators death, now I can't remember who did it! Was it a dog?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

Read that book when I was a child, think it might still be somewhere upstairs. In Dutch it was translated as "Over een kleine mol die wil weten wie er op zijn kop gepoept heeft". And the saddest part besides the illustrators death, now I can't remember who did it! Was it a dog?

I think it was a dog yes. If I find it, I’ll tell you but I haven’t red it in a Long Time :D 

funny how I just learnt that it was quite a famous book while looking at comments online and talking with friends. When I recall things from my childhood I always tend to think that I was the only one experiencing/knowing them, glad to see that I’m wrong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if mentioned but Popeye artist Hy Eisman had a bleeding ulcer and surgery last year. However seems like he's somewhat recovered. 96 next month.

On 20/05/2021 at 10:28, arghton said:

Berserk seems to have been a very big thing, as they've made video games, statues, action figures, lighters, keyrings, books out of it.

I did some research, here's some known manga/anime creators mentioned on wikipedia's manga/anime portal:

Hayao Miyazaki (b. 1941) A name that nearly anyone who has heard of anime or manga recognizes. He's the co-founder of Studio Ghibli, a giant anime studio and probably the most known alive manga/anime creator. One of his most famous creations is Totoro. Has had heart problems in the 2010s, also used to smoke like a chimney. Another co-founder of Studio Ghibli, Isao Takahata (1935-2018) died of lung cancer and Miyazaki has admitted to smoking near him.

Satoshi Tajiri (b. 1965) and Ken Sugimori (b. 1966) The creators of Pokemon. They're in their 50s but when the time comes, they'll be talked about everywhere.

Yuko Shimizu (b. 1946) and Shintaro Tsuji (b. 1927) The creators of Hello Kitty, Shimizu was the designer, Tsuji created the company and probably made the stories. Much older than the creators of Pokemon. Tsuji's retirement last year was mentioned on BBC and Independent.

Hideaki Anno (b. 1960) Creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion, a religion-related anime that started in the 90s. Licensed by Netflix, total revenue of an estimated 11.9 billion dollars. Anno has had serious mental problems before.

Akira Toriyama (b. 1955) Created Dragon Ball. No known health issues.

Yoshiyuki Tomino (b. 1941) Created Gundam in the 70s.

Tetsuo Hara (b. 1961) Creator of the Fist of the Northern Star.

Not so sure if they'll get a QO:

Yukinobu Hoshino (b. 1954) Writer of 2001 Nights. Work acknowledged by the British Museum and was on display 2009-2010.

Mamoru Hosoda (b. 1967) Has done multiple movies.

Yoshiaki Kawajiri (b. 1950) Has done multiple movies.

Tomoharu Katsumata (b. 1938)

Koichi Mashimo (b. 1952)

Masami Kurumada (b. 1953)

Leiji Matsumoto (b. 1938) and Miyako Maki (b. 1935) Mangaka couple. Matsumoto suffered severe respiratory problems and was in critical condition in 2019.

Shinji Mizushima (b. 1939) Baseball manga author.

Hideko Mizuno (b. 1939) Known in the 1960s.

Go Nagai (b. 1945) Horror/Erotica manga creator

Takao Saito (1936-2021) Creator of Golgo 13 and working on it since the 60s

Sanpei Shirato (1932-2021) Early manga artist

(Wiki) Leiji Matsumoto died Feb. 13th, 2023 at age 85.

He has been mentioned in a few threads..

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Bill Tidy pops his Cloggies.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

To be honest I was surprised he'd still been alive.

Likewise. I actually remember him most from the children's television show he did, and was always pleased to see him on the television thereafter, but I must admit I thought he'd died a good 10-15 years ago. RIP

2 hours ago, Evil Grimace said:

@TheKeysOfMarinus -I believe he's a hit for one of your teams

He is indeed! Picked him just on the “surprised he’s still alive” charge. RIP. 

• Like 1

Dictionary Corner would be a really good DDP theme team (or maybe even a Scavenger Hunt category), fwiw.

• Like 4

Trog & Tidy gone within a few days of each other. One illustrated Flook for the Daily Mail & the other wrote & illustrated The Fosdyke Saga for the Daily Mirror - 2 very different papers & 2 very different cartoon strips but both very clever & thought-provoking at times as well being funny. 

• Like 2

Leo D. Sullivan, a pioneering Black animation artist who created the opening sequence on “Soul Train” and contributed to cartoons featuring Fat Albert, Transformers and My Little Pony, died March 25. He was 82.

SC

IMG_6149.jpeg