Guest IYG

Drunk? Bored?? Psychopath???

On 23/10/2018 at 19:59, bladan said:

b.thumb.png.4b214a5e7ac435a7c7cd10c3bb3492a8.png

this should keep you going for 20 days you can drink a different bottle each day

3 hours ago, runebomme said:

this should keep you going for 20 days you can drink a different bottle each day

The bladan advent calendar 

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Ok, I've come for a posting tiff, and I'm welcoming contradiction here.

I'm guessing @Spade_Cooley is probably my best bet for the information actually, but all are welcome. Now as you know, I'm compiling lists for my Top Of The Pops theme teams for the future, if I survive that long, and I'm currently on 1987.

Now one thing that has bugged me for years is the prediliction of artists to use the word "Featuring" (or even worse "ft.") on the credit for a song. In actual fact, it's probably the death of chart music for me, especially when the vast majority of choons have a featured artist.  So I think back in the day you might have so and so "and" someone else, or "with"  or some such. So I've often wondered...who's to blame??

So I think I've found the first UK Top 30 hit to use the offending term. Which is "The Real Thing" by Jellybean featuring Steven Dante.

Now I actively seek contradiction here. Does anyone know of an earlier charting single to use this on the actual credit of the original release? Obviously, I think this is more a US thing and must have come from there.

There, I've said it. Prove me wrong. And while doing so, listen to the number:

• Like 2

So in 1954, "Three Coins In The Fountain" (got to #5 in the hit parade) was credited to The Four Aces featuring Al Alberts. However, Al Albert was previously a member of The Four Aces full-time, and was still a touring member of the band at the point that song was released. So although it's "technically" the first featuring, I dunno if it's in the spirit of the game.

• Like 1

Excellent work guys, wouldn't have known where to start! It would be a good quiz question.

Obviously I haven't been paying attention in class. I think there's a lot that are misleading, because the featured artist was in fact a member of the band but that doesn't get away from the fact that this featuring nonsense goes further back than I thought.

You have to laugh at Galaxy featuring Phil Fearon though...as Galaxy was Phil Fearon!

"Starring Shirley Jones Featuring David Cassidy" definitely has the ring of some major record label contract issues.

• Haha 2

And just for companionship's sake,  the first time the cousin of "featuring", "versus", shows up in the charts is November 1990, when MC Tunes Versus 808 State hit us with "The Only Rhyme That Bites". 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

And just for companionship's sake,  the first time the cousin of "featuring", "versus", shows up in the charts is November 1990, when MC Tunes Versus 808 State hit us with "The Only Rhyme That Bites". 

I honestly thought versus would go back further than that? Is there not an late 70s or 80s rap/punk poetry band that used it?

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Now one thing that has bugged me for years is the prediliction of artists to use the word "Featuring" (or even worse "ft.") on the credit for a song. In actual fact, it's probably the death of chart music for me, especially when the vast majority of choons have a featured artist.  So I think back in the day you might have so and so "and" someone else, or "with"  or some such. So I've often wondered...who's to blame??

So I think I've found the first UK Top 30 hit to use the offending term. Which is "The Real Thing" by Jellybean featuring Steven Dante.

Now I actively seek contradiction here. Does anyone know of an earlier charting single to use this on the actual credit of the original release? Obviously, I think this is more a US thing and must have come from there.

You may well be right sir.  And may i echo your sentiment, as I abhor the additional artists being listed as well. 
I mean, what would we have had back in the day, "Your So Vain" by Carly Simon ft Mick Jagger"?  Gag.
Allow me to apologize on behalf of my lame country if in fact we are to blame for this misstep in history.
SC

• Like 1

I dunno Spade, almost all of those seem disingenuous.  I know they are technically correct, but they seem to be published like that for either contractual or because the record company wanted that person's name out front as the 'star' of the band (see Frankie Valli and Gary Puckett) -- back when record companies owned the artists (and usually rights to their music).  I mean your Bee Gees songs are not what Y-Dub was after.  Again, sure it's a correct answer, but....
I am guessing the present day dereliction happens mostly in the rap-hiphop music industry and it's more a songwriting credit, as the 'featured' person is actually not only rapping but probably wrote the rap lyrics as well....so needs to be credited as such.  At least that is my uneducated guess.
SC

The earliest I recall for sure is actually a combination of American and British artists (sorry Y-Dub lol).  When Eric Burdon left the Animals he created War, and the first album IIRC was 'Eric Burdon Declares War', which had the hit 'Spill the Wine' (not sure if it charted but it's still a great song)...followed up by "Black Man's Burdon"..... but the third and final album 'Love is All Around' was by "War featuring Eric Burden", though I'll allow Wiki to both correct and supplement my post with accuracy and the reasons why this separation needed to be made.  So that was what -- 1971 to about 1976 or so?
SC

13 hours ago, runebomme said:

But Sam Peckinpah drank up to four bottles of whisky a day. If I do the smart thing and follow his example, my fuel lasts only 5 days?

4 hours ago, bladan said:

But Sam Peckinpah drank up to four bottles of whisky a day. If I do the smart thing and follow his example, my fuel lasts only 5 days?

Yeah. It'll be a race as to what runs out first: supply or un-cirrhotic liver.

18 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Now one thing that has bugged me for years is the prediliction of artists to use the word "Featuring" (or even worse "ft.")

I was trying to think of something witty or amusing to convey my appreciation of this sentiment. But right now I'm out of ideas so I'll have to settle for....

I fucking detest 'featuring'. Absolute bollocks.

Example: Rockwells' early 80's hit "Somebody's watching me". Love it or hate it, it succeeded (or would have failed) standing on it's own merits (within reason, a lot of music requires some promotion and airplay).

What is perhaps less well known is that it had Michael (and Jermaine) Jackson on backing vocals. Today the marketing goons couldn't avoid adding the godawful 'featuring Michael Jackson'.

• Like 1

Imagine if they'd tried that with Donna Summer's 'State Of Independence' which had a star-studded backing choir including Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Dionne Warwick, Lionel Richie and many more.

• Like 1

Now, I'm not going to object if someone actually has the gumption to stick up a Theme Team in the DDP for the offenders, now that Spade has provided a handy list!

Could simply be called "Featuring..." :lol:

15 hours ago, bladan said:

one bottle a day is plenty

don't listen to stinky he is full of shit

Related image

My father is gravely ill (complications from flu) and we are preparing for the worst. Currently experiencing acute respiratory failure. I'll keep you updated.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Take care.

• Thanks 1

Sad for you, drol.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear it, mate.  

• Thanks 1

He was diagnosed with serious heart failure, cor pulmonale caused by end-stage COPD. Will probably be shifted to another hospital tonight, very far from here. He has not long left and we all know it.

Against all odds, my father has not been shifted as he's improving. In a few days he might leave ICU for a regular ward. Though it will be the hardest task for him to survive 2019 he may miracolously survive this setback.

If the situation worsens I'll bring him to 108 Military Hospital in Hanoi; they know well how to keep people alive there.

• Like 2

I really hope he continues to get better, drol. Take it easy.

• Thanks 1