Godot

Von Trapps

Wouldn't you be miserable if you've spent half your life in a cellar with only a dirty old man for "comfort"?

Sounds like heaven to me.

And anyway, the Welsh are Europe's most miserable twats.

Wouldn't you be miserable if you've spent half your life in a cellar with only a dirty old man for "comfort"?

Sounds like heaven to me.

And anyway, the Welsh are Europe's most miserable twats.

Von Trapp would have made a splendid pseudonym for Joseph Fritzel with his young von in der trap, so to speak. He could have entertained his family with Cliff Richard's "The Young Vons" and told them stories: "Vons upon a time...."

Perhaps it is time to get my macintosh, pickelhaube and body armour.

Von Trapp would have made a splendid pseudonym for Joseph Fritzel...

Let's not forget the all-important Austrian "von Trapp-doors" (to the basement).

Let's not forget the all-important Austrian "von Trapp-doors" (to the basement).

'Cos there's something down there

Trapdoor15.png

Oh Globbits

Maria Von Trapp has died at the age of 99.

Bollocks! I forgot to put her on my list even though I suggested her a couple of times

Guest Guest

Maria von Trapp was the last of the 7 Trapp children that george von Trapp had with his first wife therefore I presume the last of the 7 that a Maria Augusta von Trapp taught as featured in The Sound of Music. Georg had 3 more children with Maria Augusta von Trapp after they married

Guest Guest

Just checked.The 3 survivng children are all from Georg and Marias own marriage so were not featured in The Sound of Music so that means all the Sound of Music children are now dead. End of an era :(

Guest Andrea

Agathe (1913-2010).

Cu

Andrea

On 23/01/2006 at 14:19, Phantom said:

This is the list of the VTs as it currently stands on their website

Georg von Trapp (1880-1947)

Maria von Trapp (1905-1987)

Rupert von Trapp, M.D. (1911-1992)

Hedwig von Trapp (1917-1975)

Johanna von Trapp (1919-1994)

Martina von Trapp (1921-1951)

Werner von Trapp (1915)

A retired dairy farmer living in Waitsfield, Vermont

Agathe von Trapp (1913)

A retired teacher living in Baltimore, Maryland

Maria F. von Trapp (1914)

Former lay missionary in Papua, New Guinea, now living in Stowe, Vermont

Rosmarie von Trapp (1929)

A retired teacher who travels extensively as a missionary

Elenore ("Lorli") von Trapp Campbell (1931)

Lives in Waitsfield, Vermont

Johannes von Trapp (1939)

President of Trapp Family Lodge, Stowe, Vermont

Lorli Von Trapp reportedly dead: https://keyt.com/news/national-world/ap-national-news/2021/10/21/lorli-von-trapp-campbell-of-sound-of-music-family-dies/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, arghton said:

https://www.geni.com/people/Rosemarie-von-Trapp/6000000010374896656

Also, did some fast searching:

Rosemarie von Trapp died on 8th of January 2011 aged 81 according to her Geni page.

Johannes von Trapp, the tenth and youngest child is still alive and 82.

That is really going to annoy AP who reported Rosemarie as still alive: https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-europe-arts-and-entertainment-movies-vermont-e01e2f14b1afedb844e4ca8b6f91bb79

They make reference to an obituary, which maybe someone can trace.

13 minutes ago, arghton said:

https://www.geni.com/people/Rosemarie-von-Trapp/6000000010374896656

Also, did some fast searching:

Rosemarie von Trapp died on 8th of January 2011 aged 81 according to her Geni page.

Johannes von Trapp, the tenth and youngest child is still alive and 82.

Spooky.

Rosemarie must've resurrected herself a few months later in order to sing to school kids in April 2011.

Moral of the story: Geni is often wrong.

• Like 1

@YoungWillz, disappointed in you.

There was an open goal for you to break this news with
"D.
A Death.
A female death."

Fixed. There's a post from February on the von Trapp facebook page not only confirming that she is alive and 92 but also mentioning that she is still active ("continues her musical pursuits dabbling in the recorder, accordion, shofar and voice", "active member of the arts & crafts and faith communities"). Johannes is also active, still operating the lodge.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

@YoungWillz, disappointed in you.

There was an open goal for you to break this news with
"D.
A Death.
A female death."

Of all the musicals, and I mean all including Carousel and Pal Joey, The Sound Of Music is probably my most despised. :lol:

It's long, it's saccharine, and all those reprises....yuk.

Lay oh  yodel lay do. Or summat. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Of all the musicals, and I mean all including Carousel and Pal Joey, The Sound Of Music is probably my most despised. :lol:

It's long, it's saccharine, and all those reprises....yuk.

Lay oh  yodel lay do. Or summat. :P

Couldn't agree more. Very overrated. 

I think I was considerably older than most seeing it first time round (maybe 19/20? whereas most people probably see it whilst children?). I remember struggling to get to the end and then thinking "what's all the fuss about?".

Probably expecting too much with the Nazi subplot. Think I was hoping for the Von Trapps to fortify themselves in their mansion and have an explosive shoot-out with the S.S.

Alas...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Couldn't agree more. Very overrated. 

I think I was considerably older than most seeing it first time round (maybe 19/20? whereas most people probably see it whilst children?). I remember struggling to get to the end and then thinking "what's all the fuss about?".

Probably expecting too much with the Nazi subplot. Think I was hoping for the Von Trapps to fortify themselves in their mansion and have an explosive shoot-out with the S.S.

Alas...

When I was a kid, the BBC showed Sound of Music and Bedknobs and Broomsticks on the same Easter break, and I will go to my grave insisting that the Angela Lansbury magic fest for kids is the superior film. And she actually fights Nazis in that one, too!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, msc said:

When I was a kid, the BBC showed Sound of Music and Bedknobs and Broomsticks on the same Easter break, and I will go to my grave insisting that the Angela Lansbury magic fest for kids is the superior film. And she actually fights Nazis in that one, too!

I rewatched Mary Poppins a few years ago. It was utter balls.
Rewatched Bedknobs and Broomsticks around the same time. It's still awesome.

• Like 1

On 21/10/2021 at 21:32, arghton said:

Fixed. There's a post from February on the von Trapp facebook page not only confirming that she is alive and 92 but also mentioning that she is still active ("continues her musical pursuits dabbling in the recorder, accordion, shofar and voice", "active member of the arts & crafts and faith communities"). Johannes is also active, still operating the lodge.

Johannes Von Trapp is on GB News right now slurping away on a beer and talking about his brewery. Looks a bit skeletal but sounds good and seems to have his faculties and mobilities in place for someone away to turn 83. Seems a certainty that he will outlive his sister Rosmarie to become the last living Von Trapp child.

• Like 2

On 28/10/2021 at 19:46, Ulitzer95 said:

Johannes Von Trapp is on GB News right now slurping away on a beer and talking about his brewery. Looks a bit skeletal but sounds good and seems to have his faculties and mobilities in place for someone away to turn 83. Seems a certainty that he will outlive his sister Rosmarie to become the last living Von Trapp child.

And he does.

• Like 3