Godot

A Famous Belgian

As I may NEVER get to post in this thread again (ahead of others that is, e.g. Magere Hein lol), I am here to announce the passing of the former CEO of Belgacom--the leading telecommunications company in Belguim--Didier Bellens. I even am posting my first obit in the deceased's native tongue and an obit I can't read but trust it says what it's supposed to (unless it was written by Mr. Alexander Yacht).
SC

As I may NEVER get to post in this thread again (ahead of others that is, e.g. Magere Hein lol), I am here to announce the passing of the former CEO of Belgacom--the leading telecommunications company in Belguim--Didier Bellens. I even am posting my first obit in the deceased's native tongue and an obit I can't read but trust it says what it's supposed to (unless it was written by Mr. Alexander Yacht).

A few comments on that article, without providing a trnslation:

- Mr. Bellens' native tongue was French,

- Mr. Bellens died from a non-specified "long illness",

- Mr. Bellens got the sack in November 2013 after several confrontations with Belgian government ministers, the Belgian government being the major shareholder of Belgacom,

- Mr. Bellens was a suspect in several cases of trading shares with inside knowledge and being bribed.

Second Belgian cyclist dies in two days

Daan Myngheer of a heart attack 20 miles from finish.

My calculator just melted trying to work out the probability for two professional cyclists from Belgium to die on consecutive days in two different events.

I posted this first in the cycling thread just to keep things fair and equal.

Belgian communist Louis van Geyt is dead.

I thought he was more well known as I recall him being mentioned here, but a search came up with no results.

Oh well, I announce his death anyway.

Today, several dutch newspapers mention a health scare for Toots Thielemans (84). Because of his frail health, he's unable to complete his tour through the Netherlands. 'For the first time in his career, his doctor prescribed him rest for the rest of the year,' according to the Bimhuis, a jazz-podium in Amsterdam where Thielemans was supposed to perform this evening.

Can't find an english site yet to confirm the news, but I read it in this paper, and the Bimhuis is mentioning it here.

Hang on in there Toots, I want you for next year.

You sure it's not just a desire to sing

Toots toots tootsie goodbye

....or should that be gooddie?

Now back to Verbruggen....

You can sing it now.

• Like 1

Today, several dutch newspapers mention a health scare for Toots Thielemans (84). Because of his frail health, he's unable to complete his tour through the Netherlands. 'For the first time in his career, his doctor prescribed him rest for the rest of the year,' according to the Bimhuis, a jazz-podium in Amsterdam where Thielemans was supposed to perform this evening.

Can't find an english site yet to confirm the news, but I read it in this paper, and the Bimhuis is mentioning it here.

You can sing it now.

BBC Obit for the DDP: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37153355

You can sing it now.

And there goes another from my long list for 2017

You can sing it now.

And there goes another from my long list for 2017

If this fataility doesn't bring back Magere Hein (from the dead?), nothing will.

• Like 1

Absolutely shocked at the news of the death of singer Maurane. It's only just been announced so no details of cause of death yet.

I can't see her getting a UK obit but she was very well known in Belgium and France. If you can, check out the film Palais Royale which, seeing as it was a co-production with Film 4, it's surprising it's not turned up on UK screens, where she has an amusing cameo as Elton John (if you've seen the film you'll get that).

I have kissed a toy bunny that Maurane had also manhandled but that's a story for another time...

• Like 1

Finally some reason for me to post in this thread...

Singer Arno (70) has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer:

https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-news/art-culture/94126/arno-postpones-tour-dates-after-cancer-diagnosis-pancreas-rock-star-singer/

The Michel Delpech of 2021?

11 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-news/art-culture/94126/arno-postpones-tour-dates-after-cancer-diagnosis-pancreas-rock-star-singer/

oh look someone who must not expect to advance far in Cup play is divulging every name they discover.  Arno reasons to do it otherwise.

The gcreptile of 2019?

• Haha 1

"Arno, less well-known as Arno Hintjens"

For some reason, that bit cracks me up...:D

5 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

oh look someone who must not expect to advance far in Cup play is divulging every name they discover.  Arno reasons to do it otherwise.

The gcreptile of 2019?

Well, I had to check now, my main team has more unique picks than yours! I'm not telling everything...

On 08/02/2020 at 06:03, gcreptile said:

Not looking like it.

On 08/02/2020 at 12:19, msc said:

"Arno, less well-known as Arno Hintjens"

For some reason, that bit cracks me up...:D

Arno Hintjens being reported dead on the Tweetmeats.

Edit: And indeed here and there: https://www-standaard-be.translate.goog/cnt/dmf20220423_95435808?_x_tr_sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

• Like 2

Aha, he's listed under Arno (singer) for The Whipping Posts on this year's DDP.

Looking for a Yahoo, I'd expect....