M Busby Airlines

Betty Driver Memorial Soapstar Superstar Thread

In memory of the late Deidre Barlow this thread should be renamed as the Anne Kirkbride memorial thread......

Cosidering that when she died she was pick on precisely 0 DDP teams I think this would be highlighting one of our big failures.

• Like 1

In memory of the late Deidre Barlow this thread should be renamed as the Anne Kirkbride memorial thread......

Cosidering that when she died she was pick on precisely 0 DDP teams I think this would be highlighting one of our big failures.

She was very nearly joker for my corrie theme team but I decided not to include as their was no evidence she was physically ill and an old person was a better bet on that front. It would be appropriate to rename it Anne Kirkbride memorial thread, after all she did manage to beat us (and the press, more importantly) regarding her ill health. She and Cilla Black are examples of how it's possible for celebs to keep illness/decline private in this modern world - even household names.

Does that mean we change the name of the thread every time a soap actor/actress dies?

Ain't gonna happen.

• Like 1

I'm surprised we waited until Betty Driver died to create a soap memorial thread considering actors like Jack Howarth (Albert Tatlock), Violet Carson (Ena Sharples), Pat Phoenix (Elsie Tanner) etc died long before Betty Driver did. Even Gretchen Franklin (Ethel Skinner) died a good 6 years before.

She is definately one to keep an eye on.As soon as she can no longer work she strikes me as someone who would just give up.She already said she doesn`t want to live past 90 or be resuscitated and that along with her age and chain smoking surely makes her a serious contender next year.

She is definately one to keep an eye on.As soon as she can no longer work she strikes me as someone who would just give up.She already said she doesn`t want to live past 90 or be resuscitated and that along with her age and chain smoking surely makes her a serious contender next year.

She's starting to look her age in those photos as well, wasn't the whole Dot going to prison thing because of her real life deteriotation?

She's starting to look her age in those photos as well, wasn't the whole Dot going to prison thing because of her real life deteriotation?

Possibly, but also bearing in mind her age she can't be expected to keep up with the shows demanding schedule, think it shoots something like 6am-10pm six days a week

Possibly, but also bearing in mind her age she can't be expected to keep up with the shows demanding schedule, think it shoots something like 6am-10pm six days a week

When it comes to your eternally present old ladies in soaps, the producers will generally schedule it so there scenes are less frequent and they need to work less. The prime example of this is Emily Bishop in corrie who's went from at one point being in every episode of the show to now turning up once in a blue moon. Rita will probably take a similar path followed by Ken.

When it comes to your eternally present old ladies in soaps, the producers will generally schedule it so there scenes are less frequent and they need to work less. The prime example of this is Emily Bishop in corrie who's went from at one point being in every episode of the show to now turning up once in a blue moon. Rita will probably take a similar path followed by Ken.

Yeah, often to the point when they are little more than a spare part, so if they do croak it can easily be written into the storylines. Don't think Betty did anything other than serve hotpot at the Rovers for the last 10 or so years till she died. Can't see Dot Cotton, Rita or Ken quietly shuffling off tho, bearing in mind how pivotal their characters have been. Each will get a proper exit I reckon, assuming they don't die suddenly of course

June Brown is the second oldest current serving soap opera actress after June Spencer of the archers who is 96 (b 1919).Close behind the two June`s are Emmerdale`s Freddie Jones (b 1927) ,Coronation Streets Eillen Derbyshire (b 1930),William Roache (b 1932) and Barbara Knox (b 1933) and the Archers Edward Kelsey (b 1930) Patricia Greene (b 1931) and Lesley Saeward (b c1934).All highly obitable.

Former Eastenders actress Louise Plowright is suffering from pancreatic cancer. Don't know the name and not sure she'd obit. She played Julie Cooper in the soap in 1989.https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/louiseplowright

I would say so, in addition to her EE stint she has quite extensive stage credits on the West End and elsewhere

• Like 1

Former Eastenders actress Louise Plowright is suffering from pancreatic cancer. Don't know the name and not sure she'd obit. She played Julie Cooper in the soap in 1989.

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/louiseplowright

She is pretty much guaranteed a Guardian obit for her stage work.Digital Spy and the Mail will cover her demise too probably and maybe even the BBC News entertainment section if it is a quiet day.Don`t rate her chances on making 2016 though.She was initially diagnosed two to three years ago and can only get palliative care on the NHS.She also needs another £65,000 to get experimental treatment.

Given we just over 5 years and a three months away from it do people think that some of the real old stalwarts and show's biggest stars will still be around for the 60th anniversary such as William Roache, Eileen Derbyshire, Barbara Knox in terms of those still in the show and Jean Alexander, Liz Dawn, Philip Lowrie, Johnny Briggs, Thelma Barlow, Julie Goodyear etc from those no longer in it? Especially given many of them are very heavy smokers and a few are budding alcoholics?

Does that mean we change the name of the thread every time a soap actor/actress dies?

Ain't gonna happen.

Can we not change it when Grace Archer dies?

Given we just over 5 years and a three months away from it do people think that some of the real old stalwarts and show's biggest stars will still be around for the 60th anniversary such as William Roache, Eileen Derbyshire, Barbara Knox in terms of those still in the show and Jean Alexander, Liz Dawn, Philip Lowrie, Johnny Briggs, Thelma Barlow, Julie Goodyear etc from those no longer in it? Especially given many of them are very heavy smokers and a few are budding alcoholics?

Who was a budding alcoholic out of those lot? I saw an episode a couple of weeks ago and Eileen,Barbara and Bill all look3d pretty good despite the fact they are all in their 80s.Liz Dawn I don't think will last too many years though as she has been ill a very long time.Johnny Briggs I think has been unwell and is having family problems and looked awful when Anne Kirkbride died.Julie Goodyear looks pretty rough these days and does smoke like a chimney so is worth keeping an eye on and Jean Alexander is getting very old now.

Johnny Briggs come to think of it turns 80 today! Happy Birthday Johnny! :)

Ain't gonna happen.

Nope!

Who was a budding alcoholic out of those lot? I saw an episode a couple of weeks ago and Eileen,Barbara and Bill all look3d pretty good despite the fact they are all in their 80s.Liz Dawn I don't think will last too many years though as she has been ill a very long time.Johnny Briggs I think has been unwell and is having family problems and looked awful when Anne Kirkbride died.Julie Goodyear looks pretty rough these days and does smoke like a chimney so is worth keeping an eye on and Jean Alexander is getting very old now.

For some reason I thought Briggs had had issues with alcohol must have got that wrong. Although he does look bloody unwell in recent photos of him and quite guant compared to Bill Roache who's three years his senior. By his family problems do you mean his drug addict daughter who he disowned years ago for introducing her own daughter to heroin? If so I can't see that taking too much toll on him at this point.

Julie Goodyear apparently used to sit in a silk gown and chainsmoke only breaking to do scenes. That's got to store up liver problems over a twelve hour day.

Ain't gonna happen.

Nope!

Should it not by rights be the Arthur Leslie memorial thread, given he was the first major television soap actor to die whilst still playing the role?

For some reason I thought Briggs had had issues with alcohol must have got that wrong. Although he does look bloody unwell in recent photos of him and quite guant compared to Bill Roache who's three years his senior. By his family problems do you mean his drug addict daughter who he disowned years ago for introducing her own daughter to heroin? If so I can't see that taking too much toll on him at this point.

Julie Goodyear apparently used to sit in a silk gown and chainsmoke only breaking to do scenes. That's got to store up liver problems over a twelve hour day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3207904/Coronation-Street-star-Johnny-Briggs-daughter-breaches-ASBO-banning-shop-Surrey-just-six-days-imposed.html:Yep Daughter and Grandaughter are heroin addicts who are repeatedly shop lifting and violating ASBO`S.Even though he has disowned the stress must be immense and judging by the look of the pair of them they could both overdose which could cause him more stress.He had a prostate operation and underwent tests for skin cancer.I do wonder if he has suffered a stroke though as his face looked funny and his speech strange when he was interviewed after Kirkbrides death.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REDZN7Q2Flgm:Appears a 2:30

Julie Goodyear has been widely reported as smoking 60 a day and even took in enough cigarettes when she went in big brother to give her 100 a day.She did give up a few years ago but went back.When she quit in 2007 she estimated she had smoked a million in her lifetime.

I just saw this article about Simon Gregson.

It is very vague and a little bit trashy but if we have paid more attention Anne Kirkbride might have not sailed in under our radar

It is very vague and a little bit trashy but if we have paid more attention Anne Kirkbride might have not sailed in under our radar

I am still kicking myself for forgetting to put her in my team. She had non-Hodgkins lymphoma 20 years ago, which is a disease that often recurs.

It stuck in my mind because a close family member had it at the same time, but did not recover.

I think it's more likely to be either depression or alcoholism rather than a classic deadpool-interesting illness, but I've been wrong about these things before.

• Like 1