M Busby Airlines

Betty Driver Memorial Soapstar Superstar Thread

There goes my joker  Asshole.

(Edit I'm glad this is the first post on page 22 of this thread so the perp can stare at it for a while).

Well, he was on my shortlist for a while now due to the brain surgery.  I knew he would've been revealed one way or another. Especially now he's receiving massive coverage. 

Sir Creep, you need to start realizing that your joker picks don't have to be obscure picks. In fact, it might be more wise nowadays to joker popular picks...

• Like 1

Posting this here to keep it separate from the discussion of Liz Dawn's thread and as it's more appropriate seen as it doesn't seem to have been much touched upon here.

Barbara Knox's character Rita is being given a brain tumour storyline in Coronation Street which will play out over the course of this week, culminating in hospitalisation on Friday. She's in her mid-80s as a character and actor so this could be a belated retirement to slip off into the night like Eileen Derbyshire for the latter part of her life; (who is presumably still alive; not that anyone would know either way given how deeply private she is); I mean it's highly unlikely someone in their mid-80s will recover from a brain tumour right? (not that realism matters to Corrie at the minute with a murder and a rapist happily being embraced as community members) Can find lots of speculation this will kill her off but not much confirmation. I'm assuming she's chose to leave the show given with her iconic status she'd probably have the same "walking coffin on screen once a week" rights as Bill Roache; if not I'll ready my pitchfork and join the Save Rita Tanner twitterati. As great as it is to see her being given a storyline; it'll be sad if she does go as it's yet another member of the streets "icon gang" to leave the show. 

Just thought I'd update the situation for those of you with lives; in case you need an extra push to long-list her.

No way Eileen Derbyshire could die under the radar.Her son is a writer so has contacts and she worked with virtually everyone who has been in the soap for a few months or more.She is also the godmother of Bill Roache's children and Barbara Knox's daughter.

21 minutes ago, Sean said:

No way Eileen Derbyshire could die under the radar.Her son is a writer so has contacts and she worked with virtually everyone who has been in the soap for a few months or more.She is also the godmother of Bill Roache's children and Barbara Knox's daughter.

She's the most reclusive woman in soap; whilst her death will probably be reported she could easily die under the radar. Given Barbara Knox and William Roache are still working on the show (which has just gone to six episodes a week); I doubt they have all that much contact with Eileen.

Also a lot of people are not in contact with their godparents.

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

Posting this here to keep it separate from the discussion of Liz Dawn's thread and as it's more appropriate seen as it doesn't seem to have been much touched upon here.

Barbara Knox's character Rita is being given a brain tumour storyline in Coronation Street which will play out over the course of this week, culminating in hospitalisation on Friday. She's in her mid-80s as a character and actor so this could be a belated retirement to slip off into the night like Eileen Derbyshire for the latter part of her life; (who is presumably still alive; not that anyone would know either way given how deeply private she is); I mean it's highly unlikely someone in their mid-80s will recover from a brain tumour right? (not that realism matters to Corrie at the minute with a murder and a rapist happily being embraced as community members) Can find lots of speculation this will kill her off but not much confirmation. I'm assuming she's chose to leave the show given with her iconic status she'd probably have the same "walking coffin on screen once a week" rights as Bill Roache; if not I'll ready my pitchfork and join the Save Rita Tanner twitterati. As great as it is to see her being given a storyline; it'll be sad if she does go as it's yet another member of the streets "icon gang" to leave the show. 

Just thought I'd update the situation for those of you with lives; in case you need an extra push to long-list her.

I thought it was a dementia storyline they were doing with Rita not a brain tumour? I've not watched the show for a few years but that's what I read in the press and online. 

9 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I thought it was a dementia storyline they were doing with Rita not a brain tumour? I've not watched the show for a few years but that's what I read in the press and online. 

No, the memory loss is leading up to a brain tumour. Those around her thought she was getting dementia as she's being very forgetful, but it's a sign of the brain tumour she's going to find out she's got in October. She'll be rushed to hospital on Friday.

However, it looks as though she isn't being killed off - or at least not yet; 

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/10/coronation-street-spoilers-boss-kate-oates-confirms-that-rita-tanner-wont-die-6911511/

As an aside if you stopped watching because of Stuart Blackburn, you can tune back in now; Kate Oate's has just about unpeeled the last of his work.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Deathray said:

the show (which has just gone to six episodes a week)

christ-on-a-bike.jpg.206c5d6e497a0e6a5ab21846bc7744ba.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

christ-on-a-bike.jpg.206c5d6e497a0e6a5ab21846bc7744ba.jpg

That has to be my favourite image i've ever seen posted in response to something. (20 september is the first extra Wednesday episode that makes six).

Now all we need is classic Corrie repeats from the beginning on a Tuesday and Thursday and we're sorted. (I will bang this drum until I die, in the hope they release an "entirety of Coronation Street DVD collection just in time for my retirement).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terence Harvey (IMDb), a British actor who appeared on many British soaps in minor roles, died earlier this week according to numerous sources on Twitter. He appeared in soaps such as FamiliesCasualtyCoronation StreetHollyoaksDoctorsEastenders and Holby City, as well as TV programmes such as PoirotThe BillCity CentralMidsomer Murders, The Inspector Lynley Mysteries, Rosemary & Thyme, New Tricks and Downton Abbey.

Edit: The Sun, Daily Star obituaries.

That is a shit Wiki page, tbh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Terence Harvey (IMDb), a British actor who appeared on many British soaps in minor roles, died earlier this week according to numerous sources on Twitter. He appeared in soaps such as FamiliesCasualtyCoronation StreetHollyoaksDoctorsEastenders and Holby City, as well as TV programmes such as PoirotThe BillCity CentralMidsomer Murders, The Inspector Lynley Mysteries, Rosemary & Thyme, New Tricks and Downton Abbey.

He could have gone into that other thread for actors who are in shit loads of things but nobody actually knows their name.

That fella was in LOADS of TV dramas.

EDIT: Ah, he already has.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Dead Wait said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bill-treacher-leaving-role-arthur-5169707.amp

Although this is an article from 2015, quite interesting to see that Arthur Fowler actor Bill Treacher is suffering from a degenerative disease and doesn’t walk anymore amongst other ailments.

One for the committees radar I feel. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 00:08, Sean said:

I fully agree .

Oh and Happy Birthday Eileen 87 today!:birthday:!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

The couple had a three-year-old child called Kaden...... Rick said: “Kaden doted on his mummy. He is asking where mummy is.
I hate reading shit like that.  Can't imagine.
SC

16 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Never heard of her.

This is one of those cases when the 'actress' probably played 'third woman in queue' in Corries  cornershop and 'harrassed mum' in a two second appearance in series 2 episode 4 of Cold Feet.

Update on Johnny Ruffo

Back in the studio apparently, but no news on how bad his cancer currently is...

Former Corrie regular Iain Rogerson, who played cleaner Harry Flagg, has died of a suspected insulin overdose, aged 56.

7 hours ago, time said:

Former Corrie regular Iain Rogerson, who played cleaner Harry Flagg, has died of a suspected insulin overdose, aged 56.

Can't remember him.I'm not a regular viewer though

Remember the character and actors name and the face.

Ann Wedgeworth (IMDb), an American actress who appeared in soaps such as The Edge of NightAnother World and Somerset, has died aged 83. Additionally she appeared in Three's CompanyRoseanne and Evening Shade. She was married to Rip Torn from 1955 to 1961.

Edit: Metro obituary.

• Like 1