M Busby Airlines

Betty Driver Memorial Soapstar Superstar Thread

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Heather Chasen English actress, reportedly dead at 92:

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0153862/

Probably best known as Valerie Pollard in Crossroads, but a ton of other work. DDP Pick.

Rip - Sad news - was on my Eastenders theme team.

Never knew she was once in a relationship with Amanda Barrie.

8 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I think she will get one.

Sun reporting it https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/11694852/eastenders-actress-heather-chasen-dead-92/ Also Daily Express https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1286429/URL-Heather-Chasen-dead-How-did-Heather-Chasen-die-Cause-of-death-latest

Maybe there will be a Navy Lark double and Leslie Philips will finally go.He's pretty much the last surviving actor from it ! 

• Like 2

A rare glimpse of 88 year old William Roache as he looks in real life rather than tarted up as Ken Barlow....

If he does return to the soap any time soon it will be via video call (due to Covid policy at Corrie)

Coronation Street's Bill Roache has been spotted out for the first time in lockdown

On 12/06/2020 at 10:42, Miracle Aligner said:

A rare glimpse of 88 year old William Roache as he looks in real life rather than tarted up as Ken Barlow....

If he does return to the soap any time soon it will be via video call (due to Covid policy at Corrie)

Coronation Street's Bill Roache has been spotted out for the first time in lockdown

Note the bag says 'I believe in reincarnation'. Judging by the look of him he'd better start believing in it ! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Note the bag says 'I believe in reincarnation'. Judging by the look of him he'd better start believing in it ! 

He is 88 years old FFS!!

He looks better then a shit ton of men do that are half his age.

• Like 4

Do people think Coronation Street will make it's 100th anniversary.....?

Using back of ciggie packet that would take it to 25000+ episodes. 

1 hour ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Do people think Coronation Street will make it's 100th anniversary.....?

Using back of ciggie packet that would take it to 25000+ episodes. 

Assuming that Donald Trump doesn't get the nuclear missile launch button mixed up with his McDonalds and coke order button , yes!

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

He is 88 years old FFS!!

He looks better then a shit ton of men do that are half his age.

That's true but I'm just a bit worried that only someone with a serious brain disease like alzheimers couild possibly be seen in public wearing a pair of shorts like that at his age ! :unsure:(I assume it's shorts and not a dress.If it's a dress my concerns are even more justified !Also he's forgotten to put his socks on !)

9 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

That's true but I'm just a bit worried that only someone with a serious brain disease like alzheimers couild possibly be seen in public wearing a pair of shorts like that at his age ! :unsure:(I assume it's shorts and not a dress.If it's a dress my concerns are even more justified !Also he's forgotten to put his socks on !)

Ladies and Gents, we have a winner for 'The most moronic post of the week' award.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Assuming that Donald Trump doesn't get the nuclear missile launch button mixed up with his McDonalds and coke order button , yes!

Are we really sure, ratings aren't going up and a lot of the shows more famous actors are getting on a bit. 

4 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Are we really sure, ratings aren't going up and a lot of the shows more famous actors are getting on a bit. 

If Corrie was ever in danger the best way to save it is the same way you'd save Doctor Who, BBC4, anything else with a small but loyal audience this century. Leak its at risk and see the sudden fury rise against such a thing in the press.

4 hours ago, msc said:

If Corrie was ever in danger the best way to save it is the same way you'd save Doctor Who, BBC4, anything else with a small but loyal audience this century. Leak its at risk and see the sudden fury rise against such a thing in the press.

I couldn't see ITV being willing to sell the rights to it across to the BBC, they've only given the BBC permission to show 3 episodes in it's entire history. I reckon if it's figures ever really really dipped it would head off to ITV3 for that afternoon slot currently occupied by the Classic Corrie re-runs (misnamed if you ask me - the 90s is not classic corrie, and you don't start a classic corrie re-run from 1986 - yes I'm just bit the 1960s have still never being repeated or added to a streaming service - the ones that have been added to Britbox are a mere 32 episodes from the shows entire run). 

It certainly doesn't seem to be in imminent danger with it comfortably sitting in the upper echelons of the Top 10 with around 6 to 8 million viewers during the lock down period, but the likelihood of it sustaining those figures as we ease out of lock-down into summer is probably lower - although it was doing similar numbers over the winter. It would need to shed a mammoth amount of viewers to start rivalling it's lowest rating ever of 5.175m viewers on the 20th February 2015. Was getting 6.9m for w/c 25th May but we all know there's less folk stuck indoors now.

Until it dips below 5m it's hard to even think it's in any imminent danger, but at some point the viewership must be due to decline again - don't think it can afford another fallow patch like 2015 where it's edging close to such numbers. It'd be interesting to see if the 60th anniversary episode in December can scrape over 10m viewers on 7 day 4 screen- after all it was only 10 years ago 14.9m tuned in to watch the anniversary episode. 

@msc as I know you don't see my posts for a long time after they go up.

6 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

I couldn't see ITV being willing to sell the rights to it across to the BBC,

What are you on about sell to the BBC ?

MSC said leak that its in trouble and people will start watching it again

Just now, Wee Jum said:

Ah I took it to mean put dying programmes out onto BBC4 to pasture....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wee Jum said:

If I recall correctly there were fears that if Granada had lost their franchise bid for the regional ITV broadcasts then they may have decided to offer it to the BBC at that point.

Corrie will just keep going and evolving long after we are gone.

It has already been viewed by generations of families.

There are still family units out there that sit around a TV watching it.

The baton will continue to be passed down.

4 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Corrie will just keep going and evolving long after we are gone.

It has already been viewed by generations of families.

There are still family units out there that sit around a TV watching it.

The baton will continue to be passed down.

The number of such families must be getting smaller and smaller, what with PCs etc. You can kind of see that by the estimated viewer numbers going from 15-20 million a mere 20 years ago to 5 to 8 million now, that's the 12 million bairns that had nothing better to do in the 90s but are now sat upstairs playing COD or Minecraft while the parents watch telly. I mean there's 12 million pensioners - 2/3rds of that lot is 8 million - which is the highest rating Corrie gets nowadays. 

4 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

The number of such families must be getting smaller and smaller, what with PCs etc. You can kind of see that by the estimated viewer numbers going from 15-20 million a mere 20 years ago to 5 to 8 million now, that's the 12 million bairns that had nothing better to do in the 90s but are now sat upstairs playing COD or Minecraft while the parents watch telly. I mean there's 12 million pensioners - 2/3rds of that lot is 8 million - which is the highest rating Corrie gets nowadays. 

It has been diluted by other channels. It is still a major force and will continue to be so.

1 minute ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

It has been diluted by other channels. It is still a major force and will continue to be so.

It's one of the most watched shows on telly, I accept that; but I still don't think it can maintain that position indefinitely (look at what's happening to EE for a worst case scenario). Although I appreciate you were probably around to listen to the first episode of Front Line Family never mind watch the first episode of Corrie and have heard unnecessarily worrisome folk like me crow about it being near to cancellation for decades. 

I think at some point it's going to be an unviable product for ITV - there desperation to crank it back up 6 episodes is worrying in that it shows they're keeping it on air for da monies rather than out of love for the show. 

25 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

It's one of the most watched shows on telly, I accept that; but I still don't think it can maintain that position indefinitely (look at what's happening to EE for a worst case scenario). Although I appreciate you were probably around to listen to the first episode of Front Line Family never mind watch the first episode of Corrie and have heard unnecessarily worrisome folk like me crow about it being near to cancellation for decades. 

I think at some point it's going to be an unviable product for ITV - there desperation to crank it back up 6 episodes is worrying in that it shows they're keeping it on air for da monies rather than out of love for the show. 

EE is absolute shite though.

Even looking back through rose tinted specs it was shite long back too.

The only two soaps I watch are Corrie and Emmerdale.

Emmerdale is the best out of the two, imo, as well.