M Busby Airlines

Betty Driver Memorial Soapstar Superstar Thread

On 30/11/2020 at 19:21, The Quim Reaper said:

PLEASE set that as your avatar.

I don't know how to set an avatar. I've always wanted one ! 

On 02/12/2020 at 17:11, CoffinLodger said:

Since monday I have been binge watching Prisoner Cell Block H as a tribute to Betty Bobbitt. . I work from home so I'm able to do that.I'm currently on episode 153. Can't wait for the tunnel escape episodes ! 

What do you do, care for someone in a coma? 

3 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

I don't know how to set an avatar. I've always wanted one ! 

On your profile page, this icon:

5639DCAC-94BD-42E4-BD8C-B21B1C535671.thumb.jpeg.99891575fd366594fcca8b1a972bb252.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

On your profile page, this icon:

5639DCAC-94BD-42E4-BD8C-B21B1C535671.thumb.jpeg.99891575fd366594fcca8b1a972bb252.jpeg

OK thanks. I'll try to put up an avatar, something appropriate for the time of  year maybe...

edit- OK, I've done it. What do you think? Just thought I'd make it a bit christmassy. I'll put another one up in the new year of course.

• Like 4

With today marking the 60th anniversary of Corrie it's worth noting the age some of the cast will be for the 70th in 2030.

William Roache will be 98

Barbara Knox will be 97

Malcolm Hebden will be 90

Sue Nichols will be 87

Maureen Lipman will be 84

David Neilson will be 81

Take your bets as to whether they'll make it. 

A good handful will be in their late 70s. 

Also of interest will be if any of the ever diminishing original cast are around (Alan Rothwell, Anne Cunningham, Patricia Shakesby and Bill Roache survive off top of my head). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Surely the 70th anniversary will be in 2030?   But yeah im sure Rita will still be cock teasing the blokes of Weatherfield into her 90s

image.thumb.png.08e66a5c50c0cce28144563aed8dadc2.png

This is becoming a lot like that Ham Radio episode of Frasier.

"Hello, I'm the ice cream man. Years ago I went to school with Nigel Fairservice. We used to romp in the fens and spinnies..."

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Beachy Head said:

Surely the 70th anniversary will be in 2030?   But yeah im sure Rita will still be cock teasing the blokes of Weatherfield into her 90s

Indeed. Corrected. 

She might cock teasing the blokes well into her 90s, but I don't think anybody has been in the show at that age. There's all sorts of insurance complications the older they get. 

1 hour ago, msc said:

This is becoming a lot like that Ham Radio episode of Frasier.

"Hello, I'm the ice cream man. Years ago I went to school with Nigel Fairservice. We used to romp in the fens and spinnies..."

Frasier cranes nightmare Inn 

William Roache (who has said he feels he will live to 120 due to his lifestyle & postive energy) said on the 60th Anniversary of Coronation Street  documentary that  he hoped to be the first centenarian to appear on a soap; however he should have stated "TV soap" as June Spencer was on The Archers last night & she is aged 101. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Watcher said:

William Roache (who has said he feels he will live to 120 due to his lifestyle & postive energy) said on the 60th Anniversary of Coronation Street  documentary that  he hoped to be the first centenarian to appear on a soap; however he should have stated "TV soap" as June Spencer was on The Archers last night & she is aged 101. 

I think he will get his wish.I confidently predict he will make it to 100 and still be on Corrie  ! 

• Shocked 1

30 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

I think he will get his wish.I confidently predict he will make it to 100 and still be on Corrie  ! 

Well I for one hope he doesn’t. I can’t stand the arrogant pig. 

27 minutes ago, Steve said:

Well I for one hope he doesn’t. I can’t stand the arrogant pig. 

You clearly don't know how accurate my predictions usually are ! :lol:

14 hours ago, terminalgleam said:

Indeed. Corrected. 

She might cock teasing the blokes well into her 90s, but I don't think anybody has been in the show at that age. There's all sorts of insurance complications the older they get. 

Well June Brown is 93 and seems to keep occasionally popping up in Albert Square.

Obviously William Roache's corpse will have to be removed from set upon death, as there is no way he will quit and no producer would kill him off.

• Like 1

With the sad passing away of Barbara Windsor aka Peggy Mitchell these other former Eastenders characters must also be worth good consideration for DL  - Elizabeth Kelly (Nellie Ellis), Leonard Fenton (Dr Legg), June Brown (Dot Cotton), Bill Treacher (Arthur Fowler), Harry Landis (Felix the Barber), Mona Hammond (Blossom Jackson), Tony Caunter (Roy Evans and of course Pam St Clement (Pat Butcher/Evans). 

1 hour ago, Steve said:

With the sad passing away of Barbara Windsor aka Peggy Mitchell these other former Eastenders characters must also be worth good consideration for DL  - Elizabeth Kelly (Nellie Ellis), Leonard Fenton (Dr Legg), June Brown (Dot Cotton), Bill Treacher (Arthur Fowler), Harry Landis (Felix the Barber), Mona Hammond (Blossom Jackson), Tony Caunter (Roy Evans and of course Pam St Clement (Pat Butcher/Evans). 

Mona Hammond is in Brinsworth House and Leonard Fenton is in Denville Hall so those two names seem worthy of consideration.June Brown has been on the list before and reckon she will be put back on next year.Bill Treacher has been ill for years and 90 now so another good shout.Haven`t heard the other 3 are ill so doubt they would go on the list.

21 minutes ago, Sean said:

Mona Hammond is in Brinsworth House and Leonard Fenton is in Denville Hall so those two names seem worthy of consideration.June Brown has been on the list before and reckon she will be put back on next year.Bill Treacher has been ill for years and 90 now so another good shout.Haven`t heard the other 3 are ill so doubt they would go on the list.

Surprised Bill Treacher has never really got deadpool traction, as despite not being terminally ill he had to reitire on health grounds a decade ago, and is a familiar TV face. The sort of name you'd expect more casual players to jump at.

imo Fenton will be on the DL 2021 or 2022 providing he lives that far...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Surprised Bill Treacher has never really got deadpool traction, as despite not being terminally ill he had to reitire on health grounds a decade ago, and is a familiar TV face. The sort of name you'd expect more casual players to jump at.

imo Fenton will be on the DL 2021 or 2022 providing he lives that far...

Pete Dean who played Arthurs  brother in law  in EastEnders  recently  said matter of factly in a podcast  interview that he communicates  with Bills  family  to keep updated  on him rather than Bill  himself who I gather he used to speak on the phone  with. Not a good sign in my opinion. 

Definitely  something to take note of when picking names for your list whether you are on the committee  or an ordinary poster. 

On 10/12/2020 at 10:08, terminalgleam said:

Indeed. Corrected. 

When was Betty Drivers last onscreen appearance? I know she died aged 91 in 2011.

25 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

When was Betty Drivers last onscreen appearance? I know she died aged 91 in 2011.

iirc she was still in the show until about summer 2011? Hence a few idiots guests on here claiming she was a huge miss when she'd seemed her usual working self until a few months prior!

(Treacher would make a good DL pick, the problem is a lot of folk would and there's only 50 spots!)

EDIT - Ninja'd, by Rover!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

EDIT - Ninja'd, by Rover!

Proof that there's a first time for everything! :D

• Like 2

Pam St Clement was on This Morning today paying tribute to Babs and she mentioned being out of the country for most of the year but she sounds in decent enough health, 

Just now, The Old Crem said:

Pam St Clement was on This Morning today paying tribute to Babs and she mentioned being out of the country for most of the year but she sounds in decent enough health, 

She frequents the US for cheap medicinal weed for her arthritis iirc. Said so in that travel documentary she made with John Fashanu - as entertaining as it sounds.

• Like 1