Guest IYG

Why Wikipedia Sucks...

Guest IYG

Looking at the recent deaths section, it says that on June 4, 2005, William Jennings Bryan died at the age of 145.

Don't you love the people who mess around with that site?

William Jennings Bryan, boy, I just studied about him in History not long ago, funny man, turned into a joke and died in shame. What a way to go. :P

OK, back to doing something more productive now. :huh:

Don't you love the people who mess around with that site?

Obviously your trying to be loved :huh:

must come from a troubled faimly..

The following is an entry from old Dunny's history.

14:53, 7 February 2006 SqueakBox (the pound bottle of wine was removed as entirely inappropriate encyclopedia content not its lack of truth this is not a cheap newspaper)

Wikipedia should be destroyed - it's making countless kids, and - more worryingly, adults believe in things that are not true.

Removing the Death List entry was the last straw.

We should take a stand.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Wikipedia's science and history articles tend to be pretty darn accurate.

Their showbiz and media type articles on the other hand do seem to be abused by users altering them, often on the flimsiest of info.

Never take any one source as gospel always try to find other references that back each other up.

Their showbiz and media type articles on the other hand do seem to be abused by users altering them, often on the flimsiest of info.

Never take any one source as gospel always try to find other references that back each other up.

I agree with you to a large extent, but the problem with, for example, the history articles is that they end up showing what is widely considered to be correct - which might not be the same as what is actually correct.

For example, basic information about and MP was almost removed because it wasn't believed that an MP could possibly have once a pirate dj on Radio Caroline.

• Like 1

I'm with Dr.Hackenslash as GR's magnificent creation

shouldn't have been removed. The Deathlist should be givin the right to live forever

which I have no doubts sooner or later it will hit the big time once again.

But the Wikipedia has alot of truth within it. It holds the definition of all beliefs

as well as true life facts. It is usually accurate but every now and then you find

an error or two. :angry:

I agree with you to a large extent, but the problem with, for example, the history articles is that they end up showing what is widely considered to be correct - which might not be the same as what is actually correct.

For example, basic information about and MP was almost removed because it wasn't believed that an MP could possibly have once a pirate dj on Radio Caroline.

To me that kind of info about an MP is media trivia, it would be of no interest to most people.

What Wiki does well is the speed with which their articles are updated, when new data comes out. This is only possible because of the way it's compiled.

Compared to Britannica, who take ages to update.

To me that kind of info about an MP is media trivia, it would be of no interest to most people.

What Wiki does well is the speed with which their articles are updated, when new data comes out. This is only possible because of the way it's compiled.

Compared to Britannica, who take ages to update.

That is true, but Wiki is now marketing itself as the place for breaking news stories, as with the July 7 bombings - hardly encyclopedic.

As for the pirate dj MP, it is relevent if someone in a position of power (which he isn't these days) once did something so blatantly illegal.

I'm considering joining up as someone who forces correct changes to be kept, ie the reverse of the current crop who get kicks out of reverting all edits.

Dikipedia - not that you'd get away with calling it that - would be a completely spoof encyclopedia editable by all, which re-writes the history of the universe.

That would be a very popular site.

Just imagine...

Hitler's armies were marching through Europe in 1940, and England surrendered after Churchill was bought off with a crate of scotch.

However, Captain Kirk, travelling back in time, infiltrated Switzerland and armed the Swiss Guard with phasers.

Big Daddy then challenged Hitler to a Hell-in-a-Cell submission match, wherein Adolf tapped out while in a Boston Crab, thus surrending Europe.

• Like 1

there are a lot of inaccurate details on wikipedia. I guess it explains a lot when my brother-in-law recently admitted to me to posting information on there

• Like 1

M'thinks this should be merged to the original DL Wiki thread.

Am not impressed with DL deletion. Bastards. :(

But can't anyone make an entry or amend an entry on wikipedia?

But can't anyone make an entry or amend an entry on wikipedia?

You have to register to make a new entry, but anyone can edit current articles.

the thing about wiki is... (oh no, not again) it'd be fine if it wasn't purporting to be a bloody encyclopaedia! of course people are going to mes about with it if they have the chance. and of course no-one should take it as gospel. but people DO, which is why it has to be careful about what it purports to be.

i do like the idea of diki, though - except it's already been done, hasn't it, as that's how most history is written anyway. always the winners, etc.

but of course it's accurate about history and science, and only crap on the not serious stuff.

yeah, but how do you KNOW...

• Like 1

Am not impressed with DL deletion. Bastards.  :(

They havent edited it well though have they as on the richard o'sullivan entry, it still says deathlist, but it takes you to deadpool, where a link to this site is there, bloody idiots :lol:

They've not deleted it, as such. It's been merged.

Thus Death List redirects to Dead Pool.

I know. But I still think it's bollocks.

[

Am not impressed with DL deletion. Bastards. :(

They havent edited it well though have they as on the richard o'sullivan entry, it still says deathlist, but it takes you to deadpool, where a link to this site is there, bloody idiots :lol:

I know. But I still think it's bollocks.

Especially since, as I said in the other thread, Deathlist is NOT a Dead Pool... there's no council even to decide who goes on. It boils down to really GR deciding based on our recommendations and, more importantly, his own personal feelings.

I object to that, Sir.

We should strive to make DL the definitive resource.

We're far more accurate than the Koran, the Bible and Jyllands-Posten combined...

Guest Guest

Because these people have nothing better to do.

Re the above Queenie;

Wikipedia was founded in 2001 and has since grown to more than 1.8 million articles in 200 languages. Some 800,000 entries are in English.

It is based on wikis, open-source software which lets anyone fiddle with a webpage. Anyone reading a subject entry can disagree, edit, add, delete, or replace the entry.

A December 2005 study by the British journal Nature found it was about as accurate on science as the Encyclopaedia Britannica

Re the above Queenie;

Wikipedia was founded in 2001 and has since grown to more than 1.8 million articles in 200 languages. Some 800,000 entries are in English.

It is based on wikis, open-source software which lets anyone fiddle with a webpage. Anyone reading a subject entry can disagree, edit, add, delete, or replace the entry.

A December 2005 study by the British journal Nature found it was about as accurate on science as the Encyclopaedia Britannica

Of course it's accurate on science. There are few people out there who are polarized enough on the subject of chemical bonding to be bothered to vandalize a wiki page.

If I ever snap and they lock me up in a little room with a computer, I'll take out my wrath on the science articles of the Wikipedia community, just to be an ass.

• Like 1

Of course it's accurate on science. There are few people out there who are polarized enough on the subject of chemical bonding to be bothered to vandalize a wiki page.

Rest assured that Wikipedia pages about evolutionary biology are regularly vandalised.

regards,

Hein

Rest assured that Wikipedia pages about evolutionary biology are regularly vandalised.

regards,

Hein

I was thinking about that, but they're also often protected to maintain the scientifc accuracy of wikipedia and its neutral point of view.

I doubt anyone will be protecting Di-Tungsten Tetra (hpp) anytime soon...

"HPP? More like GAYhpp"

I suppose that works better auditoraly, but you get the point :P