Sign in to follow this  
weatherman90

The Weatherman Death Pool

George Melly, a pick here at the deathlist has of course died at age 80. Despite being quite sick for a lengthy period of time, Melly was only selected by one team, themaninblack. This team receives 7 points for Melly's age, and the one point unique pick bonus. Since Melly was the first hit for themaninblack, they now are tied for 5th place with 8 points.

The most popular pick in the history of WDP, Tammy Faye Messner, has died from lung and colon cancer at the age of 65. Faye had been battling the disease since 2004, and recently weighed 65 pounds. She conducted an interview on Larry King Live two days before her death. She was selected by a record 14 teams this year: Canadian Paul, CarolAnn's Cadaver Crew, Deathlistsweep.net, Deceased Hose, Football Fan, Obiskobilob, Old & Bold, OMG, Soul Reaver, themaninblack, The Quick and the Dead, Hold the Quick, TheUnknownMan, To Die For, and finally Windsor the Troll. The death effectively adds 8 points to all said teams. Tammy is the first hit for 9 of the 14, which places 9 teams at a tie for 7th place. First place still belongs to Canadian Paul, who now has 24 points. OMG is still in second place, but now with 22 points.

More news:

July continues to heat up with the death of 93 year old Mohammed Zahir Shah, who was the last King of Afghanistan. Shah was only selected by one team, Windsor the Troll. It is the second hit for Windsor; Tammy Faye provided the first just three days ago. Windsor receives 7 points for the death, and is now in 4th place with 15 points.

Hazlewood news:

The pool's second most popular pick, country musician and record producer Lee Hazlewood, has died at age 78. This comes after the number one pick Tammy Faye Messner died just weeks earlier. Hazlewood, who suffered from renal cancer, was selected by 8 teams: Canadian Paul, Football Fan, Obiskobilob, OMG, themaninblack, The Quick and the Dead, Hold the Quick, To Die For, and Windsor the Troll. Windsor notably continues his winning streak, having selected all three of the last dead picks. All teams receive 7 points for the death, and the death is not a first hit for any of the said teams. The top 5 teams remain unchanged since all of those teams selected Hazlewood. The only thing changed is the number of points; Canadian Paul leads with 31 trailed by four teams with scores ranging in the 20s. 7 out of the 25 teams in the pool still have not had a hit; let's hope that luck will find them soon.

While we are only 4 months into the pool, things are off to a rather fast start. The two most popular picks are gone, although seven popular picks (selected by 4 or more teams) still remain. They range from a cancer stricken opera singer to a comatose foreign leader to an ancient philanthropist. Personally, I think that the cancer stricken opera singer will be the next to go. Pavarotti has pancreatic cancer, which is arguably the worst. The disease has a very low survival rate - only about 10 percent are alive 1 year after diagnosis. It has been one year since his diagnosis, and one can only assume that he is not doing very well since no public appearances have taken place recently.

Guest Guest
While we are only 4 months into the pool, things are off to a rather fast start. The two most popular picks are gone, although seven popular picks (selected by 4 or more teams) still remain. They range from a cancer stricken opera singer to a comatose foreign leader to an ancient philanthropist. Personally, I think that the cancer stricken opera singer will be the next to go. Pavarotti has pancreatic cancer, which is arguably the worst. The disease has a very low survival rate - only about 10 percent are alive 1 year after diagnosis. It has been one year since his diagnosis, and one can only assume that he is not doing very well since no public appearances have taken place recently.

After Pavarotti might be the cuban dictator. :)

Tony Wilson's death will boost TMIB to first place in the WDP. Congrats!

You just beat me to it -

Here is the update:

August 10, 2007 - British journalist Tony Wilson has died at age 57 after a battle with cancer. Wilson was the unique pick of themaninblack, who receives 8 points for the death, and the 1 point unique pick bonus. Themaninblack, who has already amassed 23 points in this pool, now has a total of 32 points, which surpasses the 31 points of 1st place holder and previous pool winner Canadian Paul, who had previously held the number one slot ever since the first month of the pool.

Congratulations to themaninblack!

Of course you can check out the full scoreboard at WDP Headquarters

Thanks all, still a long way to go and I'm wondering who (if any) in my list

will go next!

Its nice to be top, at least for a little while... :rip:

Thanks all, still a long way to go and I'm wondering who (if any) in my list

will go next!

Its nice to be top, at least for a little while... :)

Your best bet is probably Evel Knievel... he's been pretty poorly lately. I was actually looking at all the lists earlier and figured that'd be your next one.

Also, W90, since the little things bother me, Tony Wilson's name isn't struck out under TMIB's list. I'm a little OCD. :rip:

Guest Guest

Congratulations to those who have picked Yone Minagawa.

Two triple digit ladies in one day, who would have thought:

The World's Oldest Person, Yone Minagawa, has died at age 114. Minegawa was the youngest to hold the title since 1988, and was selected by TheUnknownMan and Deceased Hose. 6 Points are awarded to both teams, and both teams are now tied for 7th place with 14 points.

Philanthropist and socialite Brooke Astor also died today at the age of 105; the second centarian to die in one day here at the WDP. Astor was a more popular pick, and was selected by four teams; CarolAnn's Cadaver Crew, Deceased Hose, Old & Bold, and STAB in-the DARK, who all receive 6 points each. Astor is the second hit in just hours for Deceased Hose, who now is in 6th place with 20 points.

Canadian Paul - I will get right to fixing the strike-outs! :P

Max Roach, a founder of modern jazz, has died at 83. Roach was only selected by one team; Canadian Paul. The 8 points that Canadian Paul has received for the death are more than enough for him to regain his 1st place standing with a whopping 39 points, a seven point lead over themaninblack, who is now forced into 2nd place.

Former New York City club owner Hilly Kristal has died at age 75 due to lung cancer complications. Devon Death Trip's Finely Named Fellows selected Kristal because of his particularly fine name, and receives 8 points for his death. The said team now has a score of 20 and is tied for 6th place.

It looks like the Finely Named Fellows are dropping at a pretty good rate.

Cancer campaigner Jane Tomlinson has died from the disease at 43. Diagnosed with cancer first in 2000, Tomlinson spent the last 7 years raising money for cancer research in triathlons and other events. She was selected by 3 teams: Deceased Hose, Soul Reaver, and STAB in-the DARK. All 3 teams have already had a hit or more in the pool, and receive 9 points on behalf of Tomlinson' age. Deceased Hose is now tied with OMG for third place with 29 points.

Congratulations to all 3 teams!

Cancer campaigner Jane Tomlinson has died from the disease at 43. Diagnosed with cancer first in 2000, Tomlinson spent the last 7 years raising money for cancer research in triathlons and other events. She was selected by 3 teams: Deceased Hose, Soul Reaver, and STAB in-the DARK. All 3 teams have already had a hit or more in the pool, and receive 9 points on behalf of Tomlinson' age. Deceased Hose is now tied with OMG for third place with 29 points.

Does SitD really have 23 points? I have probably missed something, but 6+6+9=21

Guest Guest

Luciano Pavarotti has died. i think the next popular pick to die might be Fidel Castro.

Does SitD really have 23 points? I have probably missed something, but 6+6+9=21

It looks like I made a mistake somewhere along the line - you're right. The total should be 21, not 23. Thanks for catching that!

Also, Pavarotti is of course the news of the day:

Legendary opera singer Luciano Pavarotti has died at age 71. Arguably the world's most famous opera singer, Pavarotti was one of the three tenors, and was known for his live concerts. He had been suffering from pancreatic cancer, and was selected by four teams; Deceased Hose, Football Fan, Obiskobilob, and To Die For. All four teams have already scored in the pool, and each receive 7 points for his death. Deceased Hose, who has been quite successful as of late, is now in 2nd place with 36 points.

Luciano Pavarotti has died. i think the next popular pick to die might be Fidel Castro.

I'm so sick of waiting on Castro - its a never ending roller coaster ride with trigger happy bloggers continually stopping and starting it - if that makes any sense. Among the popular picks, however, he does indeed look like the next to go. Ariel Sharon is of course always a possibility. Charlton Heston and Evel Knievel seem to be doing fine at this point.

Actress Jane Wyman has died at 93 of what is assumed to be natural causes, becoming the 20th hit in the WDP. Wyman is perhaps most well known for being the ex-wife of Ronald Reagan. Wyman was selected by one team; TheUnknownMan, who receives a total of 7 points for the death.

I couldn't come up with a clever headline on the outgoing update, so "Jane Wyman Dies" will just have to do...

Suggestion for next year - now that every surviving World War I veteran and many people over the age of 110 now have their own incredibly-difficult-to-excise-from-the-project Wikipedia articles, maybe you should limit the number that can be chosen to one or two... see here for an example of what I mean.

Uzun update:

After a month-long dry spell, Turkish novelist Mehmed Uzun has died at age 54 of stomach cancer. Uzun was the unique pick of Football Fan, who picks up a total of 10 points for the death. Those 10 points are enough for FF to take first place, with a total of 40 points. Long-time 1st place holder Canadian Paul is just one point behind, however, at 39. The WDP also reached its halfway mark at the start of this month. The first half has been very active - will the second half continue the trend?

Congratulations to FF! :crossbone:

That is an interesting concern, CP - thanks for bringing it up. Wikipedia seems to be determined to give pages to people entirely because of their age. Part of me says that all is fair game, though, but I will definitely give it some thought.

WDP Headquarters has been updated with this information for quite some time now, but it seems I forgot to post the info on this thread. Deborah Kerr died last week, bringing Canadian Paul back to 1st place with 46 points.

Congratulations to CP on his re-claiming of first place.

On a side note, there are still seven teams yet to see a hit. In fact, ever since July it has been the same 15 teams accumulating points. Hopefully some of those seven will enter the scoreboard soon.

I suppose it was bound to happen eventually...it looks like I missed the death of Andree de Jongh, who actually died on October 13th. Apologies to team "Born in Belgium, Dead in 2007", who selected this individual. This team will receive 7 points - better late than never!

Born in Belgium is now in a tie for 8th place with 21 points.

So a late congratulations goes out to this team!

Meanwhile, the last month has been very quiet...the last death was on October 16th.

We have another death to report, and this time, I'm on top of it..

Ian Smith, who served as the Prime Minister of the British self-governing colony of Southern Rhodesia, has died at age 88. Smith was the unique pick of TheUnknownMan, who receives 7 points for the death. This team is now in 6th place with 28 points. Canadian Paul still has the lead with 46, and Football Fan is not far behind at 40.

WM

You posted details but he needs a line through his name on the various teams.

Exciting and open competition on your dp, mind.