Sign in to follow this  
weatherman90

The Weatherman Death Pool

Looks like John Tenta gave you the points you needed, CP - wonder if anyone has gone for any wrestlers this year... :lol:

Good question... you will just have to wait and see. :lol:

I'm beginning to update the page from top to bottom now - I will also archive the current pool for nostalgia's sake, and a link to the archived pool will be located at the bottom of the page.

Okay - the lists are now up. Obviously, I can no longer accept any late entries. Everyone should check out the new page (although the layout remains the same).

There is a minor surprise new rule - if any team has all 10/10 unique picks, they will get a one-time bonus of 3 points upon the death of their first pick. I'm not sure how many this applies to yet, since I have not yet determined the unique picks. I will do so during the next hour.

Also, the theme team bonus is now 5 points. I promise it will stay at that :lol:

Very mixed indeed - we have 151 unique picks out of 179 total, that's 84%. The theme teams really brought out some very unique and interesting picks.

Back to the subject of the new 100% unique pick bonus. 4 people are eligible for the bonus of 3 pts: Arbeit Macht Frei: Cell Block H, Born in Belgium, Dead in 2007?, Double D Denotes Death, and YOU, Dr. Hackenslash.

However, since all 4 teams are also receiving the theme team bonus, the unique pick bonus will only add an additional point, so all said teams will receive 6 pts.

The bonus will be rewarded if and when one of your picks dies. With this new rule, no one will receive a theme team bonus just for making a team in which the theme is that the picks are all unique picks.

Does that make sense? :lol:

Congratulations to Canadian Paul

2006-2007 winner.

To sort up any future confusion, here is the list of the theme team and unique pick bonuses that each team will receive:

Arbeit Macht Frei: Cell Block H - 6 points (theme, unique)

Born in Belgium, Dead in 2007 - 6 points (theme, unique)

Double D Denotes Death - 6 points (theme, unique)

Dr. Hackenslash - 5 points (theme)

Handrejka - 5 points (theme)

Weatherman90 - 5 points (theme)

Everyone else, of course, still receives the 1 pt bonus for every dead unique pick.

Well done young CP!

A fine achievement, and one to put on your CV! :P

Absolutely pathetic performance from myself, so I'm glad that competition's over & done with. :lol:

As a neutral, having not entered a team, I shall watch with interest how this year's competition turns out. Some interesting picks - I see some of choices reflect my 2008 thinking, some more than others...

W90, Phil Hill only gets called Philip by his wife. :party: It would be better to refer to him as Phil on your page, likewise Beatrice/Bea Arthur.

The Quick & the Dead (MPFC??), shame on you for choosing a 12 year old girl.... :( and I can't believe Windsor's pick of Mohammed Zahir Shah is a unique pick, yet someone picked Clive Dunn??

Bravo Canadian Paul!

And congratulations to Slave to the Grave who was only a single point behind him!

Phil Hill only gets called Philip by his wife. :lol: It would be better to refer to him as Phil on your page,

That was my fault for not properly editing my cut and paste from Wiki. a090aabi1.gif

Philip Toll Hill Jr., (born April 20, 1927 in Miami, Florida)

To sort up any future confusion, here is the list of the theme team and unique pick bonuses that each team will receive:

Dr. Hackenslash - 5 points (theme)

Everyone else, of course, still receives the 1 pt bonus for every dead unique pick.

Is there any reason why I have five points, not six? Given my theme is "Unique picks," surely I should have the extra point? :lol:

Congrats to CP on his victory; just been on the new site. Pretty good selections I'd say, some corkers, obviously been some midnight oil burned.

Congrats to CP on his victory; just been on the new site. Pretty good selections I'd say, some corkers, obviously been some midnight oil burned.

That is your team with Kirsty Howard in, yes? :lol:

I was tempted to go for a "Duke only" theme but after Wellington I changed my mind. At least I've got the youngest average age at 60.9, though...

Hack, me old mate, I resent the accusation that I'd stoop so low (TWENTY PAGES DELETED HERE)

.....and here's me thinking the absence of Lindsey Hughes would throw the chasing pack off the scent.

On a much more serious note - SPL eh? So, are you sharing a ground with us at any point, or what? And re that strange defeat to Queen's, was there any truth in the 'taking it easy to help the local team' rumours? I never believed a word personally but mucho talk ahead of our away game with Millwall on the subject.

What a way to start of the new pool - Laurie Baker, architect, is now dead at 90. I turned on my computer, started up my browser, and there was the deaths in 07 page with a familiar name. Laurie was the unique pick of OMG. I wish we had a time of death available on this one - it was probably within a few hours of the pool's start. Anyway, a congratulations to OMG - you now lead the scoreboard at 7 points (6 for age, 1 for unique).

Dr. H - I actually made an error in yours. You will receive 3 bonus points - because all of your picks are unique. With the new rule, you don't qualify for the theme team bonus since several other teams also happened to have all unique picks.

So the updated list:

Dr. Hackenslash - 3 points (unique)

Thank you all. I can't remember the last time I won anything competitive, so I'm in a rare good mood today. :lol:

Congrats to OMG for their first hit of the year! I'm old news now. :(

Well Done CP.

Good Win.

Game on, 1st April 2007.

What a way to start of the new pool - Laurie Baker, architect, is now dead at 90. I turned on my computer, started up my browser, and there was the deaths in 07 page with a familiar name. Laurie was the unique pick of OMG. I wish we had a time of death available on this one - it was probably within a few hours of the pool's start. Anyway, a congratulations to OMG - you now lead the scoreboard at 7 points (6 for age, 1 for unique).

Dr. H - I actually made an error in yours. You will receive 3 bonus points - because all of your picks are unique. With the new rule, you don't qualify for the theme team bonus since several other teams also happened to have all unique picks.

So the updated list:

How does that merit points?

Nobody has died or anything.

In fact it has very little to do with anything.

I probably should read these rules before entering into deadpools. I thought the bonuses were only applicable per death.

Well done CP.....

This is my first year at the WDP, so I'm hoping I do as well as on my first year on DDP!

Bring it on!

:lol:

So the updated list:

How does that merit points?

Nobody has died or anything.

In fact it has very little to do with anything.

I probably should read these rules before entering into deadpools. I thought the bonuses were only applicable per death.

You are right, Windsor. These are only the hypothetical bonuses that the teams will receive if and when their first pick dies. I should have stated more clearly. The list wasn't meant to be the scoreboard or anything.

Oh right. Sorry. I thought the teams just got that amout of points for having unique picks etc.

All cleared up now...

Guest The Unknown Man

Okay, here is my team:

1. Barbara Kent, 101

2. Jane Wyman, 91

3. Yone Minagawa, 115

4. Fidel Castro, 81

5. Charlton Heston, 83

6. David Crosby, 66

7. Barbara Streisand, 65

8. Ian Smith, 88

9. Tammy Faye Messner, 66

10. Elizabeth Taylor, 76

Since I've already been outed I'll save you the bother of clicking around and put my contenders up to public scrutiny/derision:

The Quick and the Dead, Hold the Quick

APA = 63.5

1. Kirsty Howard, 12

2. Saad Al-Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah, 78

3. Ronnie Biggs, 78

4. Ariel Sharon, 80

5. Lee Hazlewood, 78

6. Patricia Dunn, 55

7. Tammy Faye Messner, 66

8. Evel Knievel, 69

9. John A. Keel, 78

10. Manuel Uribe, 41