Paisley going strong at 80

Bugger! :pop:

EDIT: Good grief what a complete twat I am. I meant to post my first entry on the site in the Ian Paisley thread and ended up starting a new one. I hang my head in shame.

[Threads merged - ff]

Paisley going strong at 80

Bugger! :pop:

EDIT: Good grief what a complete twat I am. I meant to post my first entry on the site in the Ian Paisley thread and ended up starting a new one. I hang my head in shame.

You succeeded, however, in evading the swearfilter. Huzzah!

When he does go to meet his boss (God/Satan, take your pick) the power strugle within the DUP will be brutal!

God\Satan\ - Let's open our eyes and face reality.

There isn't any.

No heavens in the sky - The devil just a faery tale lie'

Guest Guest_corkdood_*

Any update on this. Ian seems to still be going strong doing his best to frustrate any attempt of a compromise in Northern Ireland. I suspect no lasting deal will be done until he leaves this world.

I suspect yer right. No significant developments in his health since the posts above. The immovable object still breathes.

Saw him on the news yesterday and he looked extremely healthy.

I think he'll be alright for a while yet....

Saw him on the news yesterday and he looked extremely healthy.

I think he'll be alright for a while yet....

Me too, I saw him in the (admittedly baggy) flesh last week at the Tories' conference in Bournemouth (I was there in a neutral capacity, I may add). He was getting around with little difficulty and managed to deal with the potential pitfalls offered by a revolving door with relative ease.

Radio Four 1-30 next Sunday, half hour show in which the great, sorry grate man speaks and his history is examined up to and including the plan to get him sectioned and - thereby - discredit and under-mine him. One worth hearing I'd say.

Elections tomorrow, could lead to Ian Pasily having a rather stressful full time job(First Minister) at the age of eighty.But as he probably wouldn't agree to form a government with Sinn Fien it's not so much of an issue.

Just tossin' in another mild enquiry here:

Since he's been head honcho of his own church and led a party that hadn't a hope in hell of doing anything much regarding power - given the way Northern Ireland has been ruled at a distance for so many years - how hard has this man actually worked for the last six decades? I mean, okay, still on the stump at eighty is an achievement, and he did take his Westminster seat, but on a 9-5, breaking sweat basis, has he put in the hours over the years or just staged the stunts?

Just tossin' in another mild enquiry here:

Since he's been head honcho of his own church and led a party that hadn't a hope in hell of doing anything much regarding power - given the way Northern Ireland has been ruled at a distance for so many years - how hard has this man actually worked for the last six decades? I mean, okay, still on the stump at eighty is an achievement, and he did take his Westminster seat, but on a 9-5, breaking sweat basis, has he put in the hours over the years or just staged the stunts?

I know a few people who live in his constituency and he is known for working quite hard for constiuents,even catholics, on more local issues(housing, planning, schools etc). I know theres a good few catholics who vote DUP, at least in concil elctions, because they're seen as more effective. Then again his seat has no fewer than three MLA's of his own party so he can afford a few days off at his leisure. Generally he is quite active as far party leaders go I suppose. Don't see him on TV as much these days as his mind seems to wander without a pre-prepared speech but does seem to travel and work quite alot, esspecially around elction time.

Looks like he is about to become First Minister of Northern Ireland.

At his age that's a stroke waiting to happen, especially being N. Ireland.

Stupid really, if he dies or has to resign Gerry Adams would become First Minister (if he becomes Deputy First Minister (which is also likely).

And yet, a mild but deadly stroke would be welcome for this unforgiving bastard. Mind you, I'm not even catholic. I'm even ashamed that my country is the true spritiual home of the colour the orangemen have hijacked, the Netherlands.

And yet, a mild but deadly stroke would be welcome for this unforgiving bastard. Mind you, I'm not even catholic. I'm even ashamed that my country is the true spritiual home of the colour the orangemen have hijacked, the Netherlands.

Call him what you want, he has much more respect in Ulster than adams has. I hope adams kicks the bucket first even if Paisley has to live until in his 90's.

It's good of you to take the blame (well your country anyway), but I think you will find it all started in a little town in the south of France, (Orange).

He looks pretty chipper for his age in the latest news. He'll be around until at least next March, or the next march, whichever is first.

Whatever you think of his views to have to have respect for someone who's been going as long as he has.

On that basis Robert Mugabe is also deserving of high respect, not something I'd give readily in his case.

I had Paisley down as a decent choice for sometime in the next year or 2 . With this latest news....Im not so sure . I reckon he will take a back seat on the political front....get the blood pressure down....and last at least another 2 years....

Guest Guest

personally I am pleased that the Rev Paisley lived long enough to agree the peace deal with Gerry Aadams.Maybe only he could do it.Maybe he will be a different man from now on...

personally I am pleased that the Rev Paisley lived long enough to agree the peace deal with Gerry Aadams.Maybe only he could do it.Maybe he will be a different man from now on...

Aye right!

He will just be the same biggoted old C-word he always was, only now he has the one thing he has wanted for 40 years, his own dictatorship! :lol::(:P:party::party:

Aye right!

He will just be the same biggoted old C-word he always was, only now he has the one thing he has wanted for 40 years, his own dictatorship! :lol::(:P:party::party:

Of course he's not gonna change but I'm taking the more optimistic view that his own

personality will turn on him, from stress, pent-up hatred etc. Also someone might do him in.

Also someone might do him in.

Can't see that, he'd become a modern day martyr if that happened

Also someone might do him in.

Can't see that, he'd become a modern day martyr if that happened

That's a revolting thought, he very well may become just that if he is assassinated.

If he graduates from my DDP team this year, let's hope its from :lol: natural causes.

He survived the sharing of power today, summat I thought might kill him with shock, assassination, or both.

Will he thrive or shrivel now?

And - more to the point - does One Shot Tankslapping Paddy or anyone else know what's behind all the rumours of a biopic of the great ranter's life?