maryportfuncity

Captain Beefheart

Long rumoured to in ill health. According to the nearest thing he has to an official site - beefheart.com - those closest to him deny illness everyone else believes he's got MS. Anyone out there know more?

Who's Captain Beefheart? :P

Captain Beefheart is the stage name of Don Van Vliet, an American musician and protege of Frank Zappa. He had a band called "The Magic Band" in the seventies which never achieved much commercial success but had a small but loyal following (including me). His music was bluesy and rather avante garde.

Long rumoured to in ill health. According to the nearest thing he has to an official site - beefheart.com - those closest to him deny illness everyone else believes he's got MS. Anyone out there know more?

Reportedly he's never made a statement on his condition, which just fuels speculation, which leads me to think he's afflicted with something, but that it's been very much exaggerated. He got a fair amount of noteriety from "Trout Mask Replica," which apparentely was one of the most complex albums in the history of rock. Not a personal fan (in fact, haven't heard much, if anything, of his), but people who are fans consider TMR to be a fairly huge deal.

So I guess what this amounts to is, I think he'd probably get an obit, but it's a bit of a craps shoot as to whether or not he'll be shuffling off anytime soon.

No doubt he'd get an obit in all the posh papers, they'd probably all quote John Peel stating that Beefheart is arguably the only real genius ever to have worked in the field of popular music. He's also highly regarded as an abstract expressionist painter.

This mabe hasd some nerve calling himnself as he did since I saw the name and theought we were going to diascuss beefeater gin. I always getr that mistake condused the names are so mnuch alike. Does any one else do the same thing when they see beefheart they think about Beefeater giN?

Erm, no.

Then again, I used to confuse Dougal the thick priest from Father Ted with that dog in The Magic Roundabout movie.

This mabe hasd some nerve calling himnself as he did since I saw the name and theought we were going to diascuss beefeater gin. I always getr that mistake condused the names are so mnuch alike. Does any one else do the same thing when they see beefheart they think about Beefeater giN?

Not quite, but someone could start an entire Captain thread.

Capt Sensible.

Capt & Tennille.

Capt Kirk ?

Capt & Tennille

What, they're both seriously ill?

Love Will Keep Them Together eh?

Capt & Tennille

What, they're both seriously ill?

Love Will Keep Them Together eh?

Rumours of a suicide pact.

Do that to me one more time.

Tell you what, if they ever made a successful comeback, it'd be reason enough for mass suicides.

Tell you what, if they ever made a successful comeback, it'd be reason enough for mass suicides.

Strange I never thought of them as being that religion oreinted.

Guest Steve?

Very sad if he is on the way out, I presume a lot of people reading this thread haven't listened to his music but most of it isn't avant-garde twangery like Trout Mask Replica, a lot of it is very listenable. He was incredibly diverse, download a couple of songs - her eyes are a blue million miles, too much time, I'm glad, sure nuff n yes I do, zig zag wanderer, circumstances - he had a ton of great songs.

Not quite, but someone could start an entire Captain thread.

Capt Sensible.

Capt & Tennille.

Capt Kirk ?

Captain Morgan?

Very sad if he is on the way out, I presume a lot of people reading this thread haven't listened to his music but most of it isn't avant-garde twangery like Trout Mask Replica, a lot of it is very listenable. He was incredibly diverse, download a couple of songs - her eyes are a blue million miles, too much time, I'm glad, sure nuff n yes I do, zig zag wanderer, circumstances - he had a ton of great songs.

If I give you my address can you DHL me a quarter?

Agree with the above, there's some surprisingly tender and listenable stuff amongst the weirdness although I'll confess a real love of the wilder end and TMR stands up well just short of its fortieth birthday. A passable compilation - A Carrot is as Close to a Diamond as a Rabbit Gets - might be a good way in for the unitiated who'd find the full-on strangeness of the late sixties a pretty scary start.

Agree with the above, there's some surprisingly tender and listenable stuff amongst the weirdness although I'll confess a real love of the wilder end and TMR stands up well just short of its fortieth birthday. A passable compilation - A Carrot is as Close to a Diamond as a Rabbit Gets - might be a good way in for the unitiated who'd find the full-on strangeness of the late sixties a pretty scary start.

Yes. There as a great track called 'Kandy Korn' (I think) where the Captain plays a superb mouth organ after the line 'Gimme that harp boy, it ain't no fat man's toy'

Have heard nothing to indicate that death may be near

The real stunner for me was 'This Is The Day' a ballad so achingly tender Tony Bennett could've done it. Beefheart is a true talent.

The real stunner for me was 'This Is The Day' a ballad so achingly tender Tony Bennett could've done it. Beefheart is a true talent.

No matter the talent, you won't get a mile with the name Beef Heart.

Which Album was that on?

Bluejeans and Moonbeams but you're better off with the compilation 'A Carrot is as Close to a Diamond as a Rabbit Gets' which has all the best stuff from a few of the patchier albums.

Bluejeans and Moonbeams but you're better off with the compilation 'A Carrot is as Close to a Diamond as a Rabbit Gets' which has all the best stuff from a few of the patchier albums.

Kandy Korn was on Strictly Personal. I'd have to say that Trout Mask replica was the only album of his that I found a bit 'of a challenge'.

The track was actually 'Gimme dat Harp, Boy' from Strictly Personal.

As The Great Sage once said, "The clue's in the question."

Yes. There as a great track called 'Kandy Korn' (I think) where the Captain plays a superb mouth organ after the line 'Gimme that harp boy, it ain't no fat man's toy'

The track was actually 'Gimme dat Harp, Boy' from Strictly Personal.

As The Great Sage once said, "The clue's in the question."

Cheers AtJ.

PS. Would the great sage have taken 7 months to correct me?

Whilst we're talking great Beefheart can I make a pitch for two great tracks seldom mentioned because they ain't on Trout Mask...

Big Eyed Beans from Venus - on Clear Spot and the title track of the criminally overlooked finale, Ice Cream for Crow.

Corkers that today's boundary breakers would kill to have written, or summat.