maryportfuncity

Captain Beefheart

I think the most suitable album for the neophyte would be

Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) from 1978.

Tropical Hotdog Night has possibly the best vocal I've ever heard....

Doc at the Radar Station is good too... :D

Bat Chain was a featured album on Six Music's 'Freakzone' a few weeks back where Tropical Hotdog Night was one of three tracks played.

Sounded great.

I have been known to DJ occasionally and can assure you that 'Tropical Hot Dog Night' is a guaranteed floor splitter. Wheat from chaff and all that.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-dk48yvMY"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-dk48yvMY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-dk48yvMY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I have been known to DJ occasionally and can assure you that 'Tropical Hot Dog Night' is a guaranteed floor splitter. Wheat from chaff and all that.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-dk48yvMY"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-dk48yvMY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-dk48yvMY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Thank you AtJ - its enough to make me weep with nostalgia. Where the hell did my life go................

From the same source, here's 2 Letterman interviews (total 17 mins) of Captain Beefheart. Pretty surreal stuff. I draw your attention in particular to a point about 12 minutes into the clip when Beefy starts talking about flamingos' beaks. Tremendous.

A few years ago I dragged out my Johnny Cash LPs. I had not heard them in years. Within a couple of months Mr Cash :dead:

Last year I started reading Hunter S. Thompson novels again for the first time in years within a few weeks HST ;)

Tonight, I'm going to fish out the Beefheart LPs :pop:

A few years ago I dragged out my Johnny Cash LPs. I had not heard them in years. Within a couple of months Mr Cash :dead:

Last year I started reading Hunter S. Thompson novels again for the first time in years within a few weeks HST ;)

Tonight, I'm going to fish out the Beefheart LPs :pop:

........ and I bet a fish will die.

Problem with best categorization of Captain Beefheart

Hi, my Chief has entrusted me with t-shirts sale. We offer the Rock bands t-shirts now. But there is a problem. Our customers say that categorization of bands and artists is a little bit wrong :) For example Captain Beefheart is put to Goth category. What do you think about it? What category will be the best for Captain Beefheart? Goth, Metal, Pop Art, Punk, Rock?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, my Chief has entrusted me with t-shirts sale. We offer the Rock bands t-shirts now. But there is a problem. Our customers say that categorization of bands and artists is a little bit wrong :) For example Captain Beefheart is put to Goth category. What do you think about it? What category will be the best for Captain Beefheart? Goth, Metal, Pop Art, Punk, Rock?

Neither...he is beyond categorisation...he's not someone you could put into a commercial box...

Hi, my Chief has entrusted me with t-shirts sale. We offer the Rock bands t-shirts now. But there is a problem. Our customers say that categorization of bands and artists is a little bit wrong B) For example Captain Beefheart is put to Goth category. What do you think about it? What category will be the best for Captain Beefheart? Goth, Metal, Pop Art, Punk, Rock?

Neither...he is beyond categorisation...he's not someone you could put into a commercial box...

but one day he'll be on the list and he'll be in another form of box for sure at some stage.... :)

Hi, my Chief has entrusted me with t-shirts sale. We offer the Rock bands t-shirts now. But there is a problem. Our customers say that categorization of bands and artists is a little bit wrong :( For example Captain Beefheart is put to Goth category. What do you think about it? What category will be the best for Captain Beefheart? Goth, Metal, Pop Art, Punk, Rock?

but one day he'll be on the list and he'll be in another form of box for sure at some stage.... B)

True. He's already on my DL06 list and will almost certainly be on my DDP07 list... :)

Fast...

and bulbous.

What category will be the best for Captain Beefheart? Goth, Metal, Pop Art, Punk, Rock?

Fast...

and bulbous.

What category will be the best for Captain Beefheart? Goth, Metal, Pop Art, Punk, Rock?

That's right Mascara Snake, fast and bulbous! Also, a tinned teardrop...

True. He's already on my DL06 list and will almost certainly be on my DDP07 list... B)

I'm reluctant to place him on my list for next year just at the moment as I know that as soon as I pencil him in, he'll die within a couple of days :)

Hi, my Chief has entrusted me with t-shirts sale. We offer the Rock bands t-shirts now. But there is a problem. Our customers say that categorization of bands and artists is a little bit wrong <_< For example Captain Beefheart is put to Goth category. What do you think about it? What category will be the best for Captain Beefheart? Goth, Metal, Pop Art, Punk, Rock?

He's hard to categorize but I'd say Blues is the closest.

Happy 66th Birthday Captain....

captain-beefheart-head.jpg

:blink:

This thread hasn't been posted in in like a year.

As for Beefheart, yeah, I've got about... six of his albums, but given the number of CDs I own that doesn't make me a big fan of him, just a moderate fan.

Belated Birthday Greetings to the Captain

So he's exactly a year old than Muhammad Ali, two very individual genius types born on the same day, might be summat in this astrology, like.

As for Beefheart, yeah, I've got about... six of his albums, but given the number of CDs I own that doesn't make me a big fan of him, just a moderate fan.

Why, how many CD's do you own?

I have about the same number of Beefheart's albums, but I'd say it doesn't make me a fan either.

Captain Beefheart, God bless him, must be the only person on DL named after his uncle's penis.

According to Frank Zappa, the young Don van Vliet's uncle Alan used to exhibit his manhood, saying '...what a beauty. Looks like a big, fine beef heart'.

No wonder he turned out slightly odd.

Captain Beefheart, God bless him, must be the only person on DL named after his uncle's penis.

According to Frank Zappa, the young Don van Vliet's uncle Alan used to exhibit his manhood, saying '...what a beauty. Looks like a big, fine beef heart'.

No wonder he turned out slightly odd.

Frank Zappa also honoured Beefheart when naming one of his sons Ian Donald Calvin Euclid Zappa who is better known to us now as Dweezil

I have about the same number of Beefheart's albums, but I'd say it doesn't make me a fan either.

I've got half a dozen Beefheart albums as well, must go with the territory...

I read somewhere that Gretchen Franklin's father's penis was called Clive.